Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Where can one get high quality roller mice

Where can one get high quality roller mice

Julian Visch

> On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 10:52:21 +0000, Ralph Fox <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 12:09:27 +1200, in message <44c955b6$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>SchoolTech wrote:

>>> Nothing wrong with optical, I can't see any situation where a ballmouse
>>> would be better than optical.

>>If the desk I am working at has an optical mouse, often as not
>>the mouse pointer will intermittently jump to one corner of
>>the screen.

> Yes but what crap brand is it...?

I am willing to try optical as I was already using them 15 years ago, but
where can you get high quality optical None of the computer stores in
Wellington seem to stock them. In fact from memory my old optical worked
better than any of this "modern" junk, sadly not compatible with modern
hardware.

Jo

"Julian Visch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> SchoolTech wrote:
>
>> Julian Visch wrote:
>>> Preferably 3 button, I can only find the latest microsoft craze, e.g. 2
>>> button with scroll optical which I don't want.

>> Nothing wrong with optical, I can't see any situation where a ballmouse
>> would be better than optical.

> They are too sluggish, i.e. don't move as freely as a high quality roller,
> I have tried all optical I can find and they are frankly sluggish

Dont know where you come from but I tried 3 different ones this morning
trying to emulate the same fault.

Logitech Wireless optical - very heavy, responsive and a good fit in the
hand - does not work on glass, will work on a duvet cover though.

Dell usb optical no resetting, smooth, does not scratch french polished desk
its used on, well balanced. Smooth.

Generic usb optical - same as above.

I have never yet found one that works on glass, but a magazine fixes that.

Peter Huebner

> They are too sluggish, i.e. don't move as freely as a high quality roller,
> I have tried all optical I can find and they are frankly sluggish

Sluggish? No, I wouldn't say that -- I have used a Logitech cordless optical
mouse for years now, and my primary use for it is intense gaming. (Ok, so I
don't do FPS). It's very responsive and accurate. I use it on a conventional
mouse mat - but that mat is for the benefit of my palm. Then again, the mouse
doesn't work as well on the oiled rimu surface of my desk, but it likes the
varnished taraire next to it. Works fine on the dustcloth, or a piece of paper.

Only complaint is, it goes through NiMH batteries like nobody's business.
Likely my NiMHes are getting old. I have a charger in my desk, and 3 sets, so
it's no big issue. There is a new Logitech optical cordless mouse out that has
Lithium batteries and comes with a (usb?) charging station.

-P.

Don Hills

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Jo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have never yet found one that works on glass, but a magazine fixes that.

I use a trackball for my main machine, but for the others I use ordinary
mice. I've tried many mouse mats over the years, the 3M ones are the best
but expensive. A cheap alternative is an unvarnished cork floor tile. Buy a
pack at the hardware store, cut to fit on the desk if required. All kinds of
mice - plastic ball, metal ball, optical - work well on it. It also provides
a convenient coaster for your drink cup. And when it gets dirty, you throw
it away (it's biodegradeable) and get another one out of the pack.

preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

Julian Visch

Jo wrote:

> "Julian Visch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> SchoolTech wrote:

>>> Nothing wrong with optical, I can't see any situation where a ballmouse
>>> would be better than optical.

>> They are too sluggish, i.e. don't move as freely as a high quality
>> roller, I have tried all optical I can find and they are frankly sluggish

> Dont know where you come from but I tried 3 different ones this morning
> trying to emulate the same fault.
>
> Logitech Wireless optical - very heavy, responsive and a good fit in the
> hand - does not work on glass, will work on a duvet cover though.
>
> Dell usb optical no resetting, smooth, does not scratch french polished
> desk its used on, well balanced. Smooth.
>
> Generic usb optical - same as above.

Try this test, unplug from computer, now move mouse with just 2 fingers, a
good mouse should move effortlessly.

Ralph Fox

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 08:31:54 +1200, in message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 10:52:21 +0000, Ralph Fox <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >If the desk I am working at has an optical mouse, often as not
> >the mouse pointer will intermittently jump to one corner of
> >the screen.

> Yes but what crap brand is it...?

Same brand as the roller mouse that works flawlessly.

> >I can cure the problem by unplugging the optical mouse
> >and plugging in my own roller mouse.

jasen

On 2006-07-28, Julian Visch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am willing to try optical as I was already using them 15 years ago, but
> where can you get high quality optical None of the computer stores in
> Wellington seem to stock them. In fact from memory my old optical worked
> better than any of this "modern" junk, sadly not compatible with modern
> hardware.

I bet linux has a driver for it... it's got one for sun4 keyboards and
they're about as old .... say, you mouse isn't one that needs a red/blue
grid is it? I was using one of them in 91.

Bye.
Jasen

jasen

On 2006-07-28, Julian Visch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> SchoolTech wrote:
>
>> Julian Visch wrote:
>>> Preferably 3 button, I can only find the latest microsoft craze, e.g. 2
>>> button with scroll optical which I don't want.

>> Nothing wrong with optical, I can't see any situation where a ballmouse
>> would be better than optical.

> They are too sluggish, i.e. don't move as freely as a high quality roller,
> I have tried all optical I can find and they are frankly sluggish

What does "sluggish" mean I can't detect anything like that here...
if it's not something that can be solved by adding a little teflon to the
underside of the mouse it sounds like a software problem.

Bye.
Jasen

wogers nemesis

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 19:26:26 +1200, Julian Visch wrote:

> Jo wrote:
>

>> "Julian Visch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> They are too sluggish, i.e. don't move as freely as a high quality
>>> roller, I have tried all optical I can find and they are frankly sluggish

>> Dont know where you come from but I tried 3 different ones this morning
>> trying to emulate the same fault.
>>
>> Logitech Wireless optical - very heavy, responsive and a good fit in the
>> hand - does not work on glass, will work on a duvet cover though.
>>
>> Dell usb optical no resetting, smooth, does not scratch french polished
>> desk its used on, well balanced. Smooth.
>>
>> Generic usb optical - same as above.

> Try this test, unplug from computer, now move mouse with just 2 fingers, a
> good mouse should move effortlessly.

Just tried that with a wireless Optical Microsoft mouse and no problems at
all.... have you tried changing the mouse settings........?

jasen

On 2006-07-29, Julian Visch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Try this test, unplug from computer, now move mouse with just 2 fingers, a
> good mouse should move effortlessly.

it just needs a little teflon... I think they're still using teflon on
the high-end mice, unfortunately like keyboards the price war has made
quality devices hard to find.

Bye.
Jasen