Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > CPU Price War cuts really hitting NZ now...

CPU Price War cuts really hitting NZ now...

Daniel

If you brought a single core Athlon64 3800+ last week, you might be
crying today.

Man, some of those price cuts are insane.

Biggest drop was from GagetPeople, price of 3800+ on Saturday was $605.98.
Today it's $258.69 !!! *ouch*

But wait, there's more. Intel are expected to start dumping their
Netburst cores like crazy very shortly - (although, I wouldn't touch a
Netburst with a barge pole - however, hello Conroe).

XPD

Daniel wrote:
> If you brought a single core Athlon64 3800+ last week, you might be
> crying today.
>

> Man, some of those price cuts are insane.
>
> Biggest drop was from GagetPeople, price of 3800+ on Saturday was $605.98.
> Today it's $258.69 !!! *ouch*
>

> But wait, there's more. Intel are expected to start dumping their
> Netburst cores like crazy very shortly - (although, I wouldn't touch a
> Netburst with a barge pole - however, hello Conroe).

<jaw drop>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+ 2.0GHz Socket 939 - Prices start at 290
odd bucks according to pricespy..... man... thought I got a deal
swapping my old Ipaq for a Athlon 2400+ LOL

Time to start saving....

Daniel

Daniel wrote:

> Biggest drop was from GagetPeople, price of 3800+ on Saturday was $605.98.
> Today it's $258.69 !!! *ouch*

Correction. The price drops started in the weekend from the 22nd.

They've been dropping for a while, in smaller increments. But, it's the
first time I've noticed overnight 50% price-cuts.

Nova

Daniel wrote:
> If you brought a single core Athlon64 3800+ last week, you might be
> crying today.
>

> Man, some of those price cuts are insane.
>
> Biggest drop was from GagetPeople, price of 3800+ on Saturday was $605.98.
> Today it's $258.69 !!! *ouch*
>

> But wait, there's more. Intel are expected to start dumping their
> Netburst cores like crazy very shortly - (although, I wouldn't touch a
> Netburst with a barge pole - however, hello Conroe).

I have been holding off on upgrading waiting for the conroes but looking
at the prices for the dual core AMD cpu's I am very tempted to go for
one of them now.. I'll still hold off for a bit.. I see Intel are going
to push their quad core cpu's out this year now also instead of waiting
for next year so I'll see what effect that has on conroe pricese... They
seem to want to try and hurt AMD as much as they can while they have the
advantage.. who can blame them.. they certainly took a beating from AMD
over the last 2 years..

Anyway it's all great for us..

Nova

Daniel wrote:
> If you brought a single core Athlon64 3800+ last week, you might be
> crying today.
>

> Man, some of those price cuts are insane.
>
> Biggest drop was from GagetPeople, price of 3800+ on Saturday was $605.98.
> Today it's $258.69 !!! *ouch*
>

> But wait, there's more. Intel are expected to start dumping their
> Netburst cores like crazy very shortly - (although, I wouldn't touch a
> Netburst with a barge pole - however, hello Conroe).

You see the price for the AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+, Dual Core Socket AM2
Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+ with Cooler Socket AM2 2.6GHz AM2 CPU
$551.11 $620.00 TasTech Computers (Christchurch) -671.11

a 671 dollar change... that's insane...

~misfit~

Daniel wrote:
> Daniel wrote:
> >
> > Biggest drop was from GagetPeople, price of 3800+ on Saturday was
> > $605.98. Today it's $258.69 !!! *ouch*
> >

> Correction. The price drops started in the weekend from the 22nd.
>
> They've been dropping for a while, in smaller increments. But, it's
> the first time I've noticed overnight 50% price-cuts.

Old stock been disposed of, new prices come into effect.
--
Shaun.

thingy

Nova wrote:
> Daniel wrote:
>
>> If you brought a single core Athlon64 3800+ last week, you might be
>> crying today.
>>

>> Man, some of those price cuts are insane.
>>
>> Biggest drop was from GagetPeople, price of 3800+ on Saturday was
>> $605.98.
>> Today it's $258.69 !!! *ouch*
>>

>> But wait, there's more. Intel are expected to start dumping their
>> Netburst cores like crazy very shortly - (although, I wouldn't touch a
>> Netburst with a barge pole - however, hello Conroe).

> You see the price for the AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+, Dual Core Socket AM2
> Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+ with Cooler Socket AM2 2.6GHz AM2 CPU
> $551.11 $620.00 TasTech Computers (Christchurch) -671.11
>
> a 671 dollar change... that's insane...

wow....

I am just so tempted.

regards

Thing

Daniel

~misfit~ wrote:
> Daniel wrote:
>> Daniel wrote:
>>> Biggest drop was from GagetPeople, price of 3800+ on Saturday was
>>> $605.98. Today it's $258.69 !!! *ouch*
>>>

>> Correction. The price drops started in the weekend from the 22nd.
>>
>> They've been dropping for a while, in smaller increments. But, it's
>> the first time I've noticed overnight 50% price-cuts.

> Old stock been disposed of, new prices come into effect.

Although that example was for a 939 single core, I'm not sure I'd call
AM2 socket CPU's old stock.

Nova

~misfit~ wrote:
> Daniel wrote:
>> Daniel wrote:
>>> Biggest drop was from GagetPeople, price of 3800+ on Saturday was
>>> $605.98. Today it's $258.69 !!! *ouch*
>>>

>> Correction. The price drops started in the weekend from the 22nd.
>>
>> They've been dropping for a while, in smaller increments. But, it's
>> the first time I've noticed overnight 50% price-cuts.

> Old stock been disposed of, new prices come into effect.

heh AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+, Dual Core Socket AM2 definitely is not old
stock. This is AMD having to adjust their prices because they cannot
compete with Conroe on a performance base and are not the king of the
hill anymore so to remain compeditive they had to slash their prices.
AMD announced they were going to make big price decreases a few weeks
ago, I read about it on tomshardware. Didn't think it would have so
much impact in NZ though or at least so fast..

~misfit~

Daniel wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
> > Daniel wrote:
> > > >
> > > Correction. The price drops started in the weekend from the 22nd.
> > >
> > > They've been dropping for a while, in smaller increments. But,
> > > it's the first time I've noticed overnight 50% price-cuts.

> > Old stock been disposed of, new prices come into effect.

> Although that example was for a 939 single core, I'm not sure I'd call
> AM2 socket CPU's old stock.

"Old" as in bought wholesale before the 22nd (or thereabouts).

It's all relative.
--
Shaun.

The War Criminal about to Start another War CtrlĄ/AltĄ/DelĄ Computer Support 30 11-30-2010 02:45 PM
Vista price cuts nospam Windows 64bit 12 03-12-2008 11:48 AM
Perl Hacks: Rough Cuts Version: buy bk+net, or just book (at half the price)? David Combs Perl Misc 0 07-05-2006 04:21 PM
Yahoo VOIP - the price war is on Wolfgang S. Rupprecht VOIP 4 12-13-2005 11:01 PM
Price War Hits Digital Photos MrPepper11 Digital Photography 8 03-19-2005 12:32 AM

Advertisments