Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > I want broadband

I want broadband

pseudo

About six months ago I signed up for broadband with Telstraclear, after
they assured me that yes, I was in an area with coverage. They sent me
the connection pack, including a $99 modem, but it didn't work. After
ringing them and shifting the computer closer to the phone jack (was
running it on the end of a 10m extension lead), I could send data but not
receive, and Telstra told me that I was just on the edge of their
coverage. The only way I would be able to get broadband would be to fork
out $350 to get the house hardwired, and another $300 or so for a big
powerful router.

I rent, so I don't want to spend that much money getting the house
rewired, and I was hoping that some of you more tech savvy people would be
able to tell me if just getting the more powerful router would be worth a
shot.

Thanks,
Pseudo

zipdisk@clearxxxx.net.nz

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 09:22:33 +1200, pseudo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>About six months ago I signed up for broadband with Telstraclear, after
>they assured me that yes, I was in an area with coverage. They sent me
>the connection pack, including a $99 modem, but it didn't work. After
>ringing them and shifting the computer closer to the phone jack (was
>running it on the end of a 10m extension lead), I could send data but not
>receive, and Telstra told me that I was just on the edge of their
>coverage. The only way I would be able to get broadband would be to fork
>out $350 to get the house hardwired, and another $300 or so for a big
>powerful router.
>
>I rent, so I don't want to spend that much money getting the house
>rewired, and I was hoping that some of you more tech savvy people would be
>able to tell me if just getting the more powerful router would be worth a
>shot.
>
>Thanks,
>Pseudo

No...

The Router has nothing to do with it, unless you are referring to the
supplied Modem..?

Try Removing all devices connected to the phone lines..

You can also rewire the Phone stuff your self..

XPD

"pseudo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) .nz...

> I rent, so I don't want to spend that much money getting the house
> rewired, and I was hoping that some of you more tech savvy people would be
> able to tell me if just getting the more powerful router would be worth a
> shot.

Id be interested in knowing what a "more powerful router" is...... pretty
sure its their equipment that supplies the signal, not you

Jo

"pseudo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) .nz...
> About six months ago I signed up for broadband with Telstraclear, after
> they assured me that yes, I was in an area with coverage. They sent me
> the connection pack, including a $99 modem, but it didn't work. After
> ringing them and shifting the computer closer to the phone jack (was
> running it on the end of a 10m extension lead), I could send data but not
> receive, and Telstra told me that I was just on the edge of their
> coverage. The only way I would be able to get broadband would be to fork
> out $350 to get the house hardwired, and another $300 or so for a big
> powerful router.
>
> I rent, so I don't want to spend that much money getting the house
> rewired, and I was hoping that some of you more tech savvy people would be
> able to tell me if just getting the more powerful router would be worth a
> shot.
>
> Thanks,
> Pseudo

I am confused.
You want adsl or cable?
You live roughly 7km from the exchange?
You have multiple phones and jacks?
Do you have the correct filters and has the adsl splitter been installed?
Why do you need a router?
So, are you in range of full Telstra services or only Telecom?

Would you like to give us all the facts and not half the story.

Peter

Jo wrote:
> You live roughly 7km from the exchange?

We live 3km from the exchange, and this is right on (or past) the limit of
Telecom's ADSL. 5km of cable length is the limit, apparently.

Telecom's coverage is actually very limited, despite what they claim.

Peter

pseudo

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 11:15:38 +1200, Jo wrote:

> "pseudo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed) .nz...
>> About six months ago I signed up for broadband with Telstraclear, after
>> they assured me that yes, I was in an area with coverage. They sent me
>> the connection pack, including a $99 modem, but it didn't work. After
>> ringing them and shifting the computer closer to the phone jack (was
>> running it on the end of a 10m extension lead), I could send data but not
>> receive, and Telstra told me that I was just on the edge of their
>> coverage. The only way I would be able to get broadband would be to fork
>> out $350 to get the house hardwired, and another $300 or so for a big
>> powerful router.
>>
>> I rent, so I don't want to spend that much money getting the house
>> rewired, and I was hoping that some of you more tech savvy people would be
>> able to tell me if just getting the more powerful router would be worth a
>> shot.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Pseudo

> I am confused.
> You want adsl or cable?
> You live roughly 7km from the exchange?
> You have multiple phones and jacks?
> Do you have the correct filters and has the adsl splitter been installed?
> Why do you need a router?
> So, are you in range of full Telstra services or only Telecom?
>
> Would you like to give us all the facts and not half the story.

I wanted adsl. I don't know where the exchange is, exactly, but I live in
a township about 10km from Blenheim, and the person at Telstra said I was
within 4km of the exchange. I had one phone jack at the time, and put the
splitter on, then unplugged everything else connected to the phone line to
try and get it running.

I don't know that I do need a router, that's just what the tech at Telstra
told me.

cyril

I live 4.2km from the switch, confirmed by the Telecom tech as to the
route. My touter normally shows somewhere between 4.5-5Mb/s connection
rate.

Cyril
pseudo wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 11:15:38 +1200, Jo wrote:
>

> > "pseudo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news(E-Mail Removed) .nz...
> >> About six months ago I signed up for broadband with Telstraclear, after
> >> they assured me that yes, I was in an area with coverage. They sent me
> >> the connection pack, including a $99 modem, but it didn't work. After
> >> ringing them and shifting the computer closer to the phone jack (was
> >> running it on the end of a 10m extension lead), I could send data but not
> >> receive, and Telstra told me that I was just on the edge of their
> >> coverage. The only way I would be able to get broadband would be to fork
> >> out $350 to get the house hardwired, and another $300 or so for a big
> >> powerful router.
> >>
> >> I rent, so I don't want to spend that much money getting the house
> >> rewired, and I was hoping that some of you more tech savvy people would be
> >> able to tell me if just getting the more powerful router would be worth a
> >> shot.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Pseudo

> > I am confused.
> > You want adsl or cable?
> > You live roughly 7km from the exchange?
> > You have multiple phones and jacks?
> > Do you have the correct filters and has the adsl splitter been installed?
> > Why do you need a router?
> > So, are you in range of full Telstra services or only Telecom?
> >
> > Would you like to give us all the facts and not half the story.

> I wanted adsl. I don't know where the exchange is, exactly, but I live in
> a township about 10km from Blenheim, and the person at Telstra said I was
> within 4km of the exchange. I had one phone jack at the time, and put the
> splitter on, then unplugged everything else connected to the phone line to
> try and get it running.
>
> I don't know that I do need a router, that's just what the tech at Telstra
> told me.

Peter

cyril wrote:
> I live 4.2km from the switch, confirmed by the Telecom tech as to the
> route. My touter normally shows somewhere between 4.5-5Mb/s connection
> rate.

You're lucky to get that rate (or the distance isn't that far).
http://www.internode.on.net/adsl2/graph/

The theoretical max distance is 18,000 ft or 5.5 km (wire distance).
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/dsl.htm

Peter

Stephen Worthington

wrote:

>About six months ago I signed up for broadband with Telstraclear, after
>they assured me that yes, I was in an area with coverage. They sent me
>the connection pack, including a $99 modem, but it didn't work. After
>ringing them and shifting the computer closer to the phone jack (was
>running it on the end of a 10m extension lead), I could send data but not
>receive, and Telstra told me that I was just on the edge of their
>coverage. The only way I would be able to get broadband would be to fork
>out $350 to get the house hardwired, and another $300 or so for a big
>powerful router.
>
>I rent, so I don't want to spend that much money getting the house
>rewired, and I was hoping that some of you more tech savvy people would be
>able to tell me if just getting the more powerful router would be worth a
>shot.
>
>Thanks,
>Pseudo

See if you can borrow someone's good ADSL router for a day to see if
it is any better. It is entirely possible that it will be. There are
two basic sorts of ADSL equipment, 12 volt and 24 volt. The 12 V
equipment normally does not use the full range of signaling voltage
possible under the ADSL specification, and therefore does not connect
as well on lower quality lines and especially when further from the
exchange. To work out what you have, look at the power supply for the
box - if it is a wall wart type, it should tell you what it puts out.
Also, look up the manual for the specifications page, and if it is not
there, then try finding the specs on the manufacturer's site.

cyril

Quote You're lucky to get that rate (or the distance isn't that far).

Which is why I confirmed with the tech the route of the cable.

Cyril