Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Microsoft aquired Winternals

Microsoft aquired Winternals

bAZZ

Microsoft has aquired Winternals and Sysinternals.

http://www.winternals.com/Faq.aspx

They've already changed the EULAs for most of the utilities there, too.
****. That's one more independent setup gone for good.

Too late to see it in vista ? Be good if so.

See Ya

bAZZ .. >>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you try me, you'll buy me
If you buy me, you'll use me
If you use me, you'll abuse me
If you abuse me, I'll own you.

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Wed, 19 Jul 2006 18:06:11 +1200 when I remembered bAZZ

>They've already changed the EULAs for most of the utilities there, too.
>****. That's one more independent setup gone for good.

I remember when Macromedia bought Camstudio. They then bloated up the
program (from ~2MB to ~14MB), didn't add any new functionality, and
put splash and nag screens and forced registration everywhere! I
believe they integrated Camstudio's functionality into Robodemo, which
is now Captivate I think? I forget.

Luckily, Camstudio was open source before being bought, so now you can
get the original version from http://www.camstudio.org. So that's a
plus for open source. Sadly, there's a lack of development even though
there's great demand because I guess a lot of programmers aren't
interested in the particular software product.

And before linux_guy jumps in and starts saying that I should start
programming if I like it so much, guys who build bridges shouldn't
judge others
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

Komrade Klark

Waylon Kenning wrote:
> T'was the Wed, 19 Jul 2006 18:06:11 +1200 when I remembered bAZZ
> <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:
>
>> They've already changed the EULAs for most of the utilities there, too.
>> ****. That's one more independent setup gone for good.

> I remember when Macromedia bought Camstudio. They then bloated up the
> program (from ~2MB to ~14MB), didn't add any new functionality, and
> put splash and nag screens and forced registration everywhere! I
> believe they integrated Camstudio's functionality into Robodemo, which
> is now Captivate I think? I forget.
>
> Luckily, Camstudio was open source before being bought, so now you can
> get the original version from http://www.camstudio.org. So that's a
> plus for open source. Sadly, there's a lack of development even though
> there's great demand because I guess a lot of programmers aren't
> interested in the particular software product.
>
> And before linux_guy jumps in and starts saying that I should start
> programming if I like it so much, guys who build bridges shouldn't
> judge others

CamStudio looks like brilliant software. Open Source too. Thankyou for
posting that link and info.

bambam

bAZZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1153302932.789466@ftpsrv1:

> Microsoft has aquired Winternals and Sysinternals.
>
> http://www.winternals.com/Faq.aspx
>
> They've already changed the EULAs for most of the utilities there, too.
> ****. That's one more independent setup gone for good.
>
> Too late to see it in vista ? Be good if so.

There are a few torrents, with all the Sysinternals apps zipped up into a
nice package available. About 20MB, worth a quick download.

--
Always tell the truth. That way, you don't have to remember what you said.

Mark Twain

Peter Huebner

In article <e9nn2o$do1$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...

> > Microsoft has aquired Winternals and Sysinternals.
> >
> > http://www.winternals.com/Faq.aspx
> >
> > They've already changed the EULAs for most of the utilities there, too.
> > ****. That's one more independent setup gone for good.
> >
> > Too late to see it in vista ? Be good if so.

> There are a few torrents, with all the Sysinternals apps zipped up into a
> nice package available. About 20MB, worth a quick download.

Has there been an update, say, in the last 6 months? I used to update them
regularly but this has taken me by surprise.

-P.

Mark C

bambam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:e9nn2o$do1$(E-Mail Removed):

> bAZZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
>> Microsoft has aquired Winternals and Sysinternals.
>>
>> http://www.winternals.com/Faq.aspx
>>
>> They've already changed the EULAs for most of the utilities
>> there, too. ****. That's one more independent setup gone for
>> good.
>>
>> Too late to see it in vista ? Be good if so.

> There are a few torrents, with all the Sysinternals apps zipped
> up into a nice package available. About 20MB, worth a quick
> download.

Zipped up here:
http://www.grc.com/groups/test:30830

~misfit~

bambam wrote:
> bAZZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1153302932.789466@ftpsrv1:
>

> > Microsoft has aquired Winternals and Sysinternals.
> >
> > http://www.winternals.com/Faq.aspx
> >
> > They've already changed the EULAs for most of the utilities there,
> > too. ****. That's one more independent setup gone for good.
> >
> > Too late to see it in vista ? Be good if so.

> There are a few torrents, with all the Sysinternals apps zipped up
> into a nice package available. About 20MB, worth a quick download.

Except that that link only downloads a text file now that starts:

"What happened to all the files?

During the 24-hours that the SysInternals site was struggling under the
rush of people wanting to grab all of its goodies before they (possibly)
disappeared forever following Microsoft's acquisition of Mark and Bryce,
this file briefly contained all of the files listed below. But the guys
now have their site hosted on a much faster connection and hardware, so
there's no longer any need for file mirroring. If you want to grab every
file from their "files" directory, the links below will help you ..."

Followed by all the individual links rather than a nice, neat package.

Thanks anyway.
--
Shaun.

Invisible

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 12:51:19 +1200, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>bambam wrote:
>> bAZZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1153302932.789466@ftpsrv1:
>>

>> > Microsoft has aquired Winternals and Sysinternals.
>> >
>> > http://www.winternals.com/Faq.aspx
>> >
>> > They've already changed the EULAs for most of the utilities there,
>> > too. ****. That's one more independent setup gone for good.
>> >
>> > Too late to see it in vista ? Be good if so.

>> There are a few torrents, with all the Sysinternals apps zipped up
>> into a nice package available. About 20MB, worth a quick download.

>Except that that link only downloads a text file now that starts:
>
>"What happened to all the files?
>
>During the 24-hours that the SysInternals site was struggling under the
>rush of people wanting to grab all of its goodies before they (possibly)
>disappeared forever following Microsoft's acquisition of Mark and Bryce,
>this file briefly contained all of the files listed below. But the guys
>now have their site hosted on a much faster connection and hardware, so
>there's no longer any need for file mirroring. If you want to grab every
>file from their "files" directory, the links below will help you ..."
>
>Followed by all the individual links rather than a nice, neat package.
>
>Thanks anyway.

I imported/queued 'em all up in a download manager

-=rjh=-

~misfit~ wrote:
> bambam wrote:
>> bAZZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1153302932.789466@ftpsrv1:
>>

>>> Microsoft has aquired Winternals and Sysinternals.
>>>
>>> http://www.winternals.com/Faq.aspx
>>>
>>> They've already changed the EULAs for most of the utilities there,
>>> too. ****. That's one more independent setup gone for good.
>>>
>>> Too late to see it in vista ? Be good if so.

>> There are a few torrents, with all the Sysinternals apps zipped up
>> into a nice package available. About 20MB, worth a quick download.

> Except that that link only downloads a text file now that starts:
>
> "What happened to all the files?
>
> During the 24-hours that the SysInternals site was struggling under the
> rush of people wanting to grab all of its goodies before they (possibly)
> disappeared forever following Microsoft's acquisition of Mark and Bryce,
> this file briefly contained all of the files listed below. But the guys
> now have their site hosted on a much faster connection and hardware, so
> there's no longer any need for file mirroring. If you want to grab every
> file from their "files" directory, the links below will help you ..."
>
> Followed by all the individual links...snip

Which is all you need - paste that block of text into Wackget and you're
done.

Malcolm

~misfit~ wrote:

> bambam wrote:
>> bAZZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1153302932.789466@ftpsrv1:
>>

>> > Microsoft has aquired Winternals and Sysinternals.
>> >
>> > http://www.winternals.com/Faq.aspx
>> >
>> > They've already changed the EULAs for most of the utilities
>> > there, too. ****. That's one more independent setup gone for
>> > good.
>> >
>> > Too late to see it in vista ? Be good if so.

>> There are a few torrents, with all the Sysinternals apps zipped up
>> into a nice package available. About 20MB, worth a quick download.

> Except that that link only downloads a text file now that starts:
>
> "What happened to all the files?
>
> During the 24-hours that the SysInternals site was struggling under
> the rush of people wanting to grab all of its goodies before they
> (possibly) disappeared forever following Microsoft's acquisition of
> Mark and Bryce,
> this file briefly contained all of the files listed below. But the
> guys now have their site hosted on a much faster connection and
> hardware, so there's no longer any need for file mirroring. If you
> want to grab every file from their "files" directory, the links
> below will help you ..."
>
> Followed by all the individual links rather than a nice, neat
> package.
>
> Thanks anyway.

Hi ~moshpit~
Use wget, get rid of the blurb at the begining so you just have the
list of url's. Then wget -i <name.of.your.list>

--
Cheers
Malcolm °¿°