Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Which laptop

Which laptop

GraB

I got this e-mail from a friend:

"I am wondering if you could help me , I am thinking about purchasing
a laptop.
One is a HP intel pentium cortm Duo 2600 ( 1.66 Ghz) , the
other is a Compaq presario AMD turion Duo (1.60 Ghz ). they both
have 512 mb of ram, I am wonder which processor would give the
best performance. Main use would be for dv video editing, and
rendering, thanks ."

Daniel

GraB wrote:
> I got this e-mail from a friend:
>
> "I am wondering if you could help me , I am thinking about purchasing
> a laptop.
> One is a HP intel pentium cortm Duo 2600 ( 1.66 Ghz) , the
> other is a Compaq presario AMD turion Duo (1.60 Ghz ). they both
> have 512 mb of ram, I am wonder which processor would give the
> best performance. Main use would be for dv video editing, and
> rendering, thanks ."

As I mentioned in an earlier post if your friend can wait just a little
for prices to settle (they probably won't really settle for several
months anyhow) due to the fallout from Conroe (read price war), that
would be a wise move.

If he still must buy one of those, then fair enough. However, might pay
to prepare him for the price-performance loss he'll be seeing in the
coming months. Then he can't say you never warned him about it in the
first place.

zipdisk@clearxxxx.net.nz

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 15:05:56 +1200, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I got this e-mail from a friend:
>
>"I am wondering if you could help me , I am thinking about purchasing
>a laptop.
> One is a HP intel pentium cortm Duo 2600 ( 1.66 Ghz) , the
>other is a Compaq presario AMD turion Duo (1.60 Ghz ). they both
>have 512 mb of ram, I am wonder which processor would give the
>best performance. Main use would be for dv video editing, and
>rendering, thanks ."

And Shared Video ram..?

go for some thing better ..

GraB

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 16:47:44 +1200, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 15:05:56 +1200, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I got this e-mail from a friend:
>>
>>"I am wondering if you could help me , I am thinking about purchasing
>>a laptop.
>> One is a HP intel pentium cortm Duo 2600 ( 1.66 Ghz) , the
>>other is a Compaq presario AMD turion Duo (1.60 Ghz ). they both
>>have 512 mb of ram, I am wonder which processor would give the
>>best performance. Main use would be for dv video editing, and
>>rendering, thanks ."
>>

>And Shared Video ram..?
>

>go for some thing better ..

I thought he would be better with a PC. Hard drives in laptops are
slow by comparison.

Dave Taylor

GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I am wonder which processor would give the
> best performance. Main use would be for dv video editing, and
> rendering, thanks .

Neither. IMHO.

Laptop and Celeron type CPU and video don't really go together.
P4Mobile AKA Centrino would be better. IMHO.

--
Ciao, Dave

JBS

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 15:05:56 +1200, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I got this e-mail from a friend:
>>
>>"I am wondering if you could help me , I am thinking about purchasing
>>a laptop.
>> One is a HP intel pentium cortm Duo 2600 ( 1.66 Ghz) , the
>>other is a Compaq presario AMD turion Duo (1.60 Ghz ). they both
>>have 512 mb of ram, I am wonder which processor would give the
>>best performance. Main use would be for dv video editing, and
>>rendering, thanks ."
>>

> And Shared Video ram..?
>

> go for some thing better ..

I think the Core Duo 2600 would be better for video editing. I suggest that
128MB dedicated video memory is needed if you are doing a lot of video
editing and if you want to upgrade to VISTA next year. Having said that, I
have done video editing with a Celeron chip and shared video memory. But the
rendering time is very slow with the lower specd laptops. If rendering time
is not an issue, then you can get away with one of the processors referred
to above.

Jo

"Dave Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9805CA0D9A108daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.3 7.6...
> GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I am wonder which processor would give the
>> best performance. Main use would be for dv video editing, and
>> rendering, thanks .

> Neither. IMHO.
>
> Laptop and Celeron type CPU and video don't really go together.
> P4Mobile AKA Centrino would be better. IMHO.

Agreed, unless you live in a very cold area like Antarctica and spend a
great deal of time outdoors.