Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Is ihug's news server working?

Is ihug's news server working?

E. Scrooge

Because Slingshot's news server with feed from ihug isn't.

E. Scrooge

bambam

"E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in news:e9ccn4$1mp$1
@nntp.aioe.org:

> Because Slingshot's news server with feed from ihug isn't.

OK here.

--
I support only two teams, the All Blacks, and anyone playing against
Australia!

E. Scrooge

"bambam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9802A0CB3553197hk66302sneakemailc@127.0.0. 1...
> "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in news:e9ccn4$1mp$1
> @nntp.aioe.org:
>
>> Because Slingshot's news server with feed from ihug isn't.

> OK here.

Thanks, it looks like Slingshot might be doing a server rebuild according to
the "details" info.

E. Scrooge

Komrade Klark

E. Scrooge wrote:
> Because Slingshot's news server with feed from ihug isn't.
>
> E. Scrooge

Yeah, all day, and their helpdesk staff knew nothing about it late last
night. That makes me so angry!

I had to send them this...

Error Earlier today (It's been throwing this error much of the day and
counting up the completed newsgroups during the day).

A News (NNTP) error occurred: initial server rebuild in progress
(1514575 groups complete), please try again later.

It now appears to have completed the repair, but is now generating this
error for quite a number of the newsgroups. nz.comp, nz.general,
nzpolitics etc to name a few.

The newsgroup nz.comp does not appear to exist on the host
news.slingshot.co.nz. Would you like to unsubscribe from it?

E. Scrooge

"Komrade Klark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:1153071350.532491@ftpsrv1...
> E. Scrooge wrote:
>> Because Slingshot's news server with feed from ihug isn't.
>>
>> E. Scrooge

> Yeah, all day, and their helpdesk staff knew nothing about it late last
> night. That makes me so angry!
>
> I had to send them this...
>
> Error Earlier today (It's been throwing this error much of the day and
> counting up the completed newsgroups during the day).
>
> A News (NNTP) error occurred: initial server rebuild in progress
> (1514575 groups complete), please try again later.
>

> It now appears to have completed the repair, but is now generating this
> error for quite a number of the newsgroups. nz.comp, nz.general,
> nzpolitics etc to name a few.
>
> The newsgroup nz.comp does not appear to exist on the host
> news.slingshot.co.nz. Would you like to unsubscribe from it?

I got the NZ groups last night, it was a while before I could post to them
using Slingshot though. If you haven't lost the groups to select you'll
need to unsubscribe from them and reset the entire list of newsgroups. Then
you should see the NZ ones on the list and be able to use them.

A fat lot of good Slingshot's Network Status is, and ihug's status is full
of blame on Telecom.

E. Scrooge

bAZZ

E. Scrooge wrote:
> Because Slingshot's news server with feed from ihug isn't.
>
> E. Scrooge

Woke up some time last night I believe. Just got all my groups updated.

Hi Scroogie, how you doin. Been awhile since I have been posting and
back online.

I too have joined slingshot and *hope* to have adsl hooked up by 25th (
2 week wait so far). Should have checked with you as you have been with
them awhile as to their news server and its issues. Must say it has ****
itself 1st week I have used it (last nite) so not looking good. apart
from google groups do you have a back up free server for times like this
? I used read.free.groups (i think) but can't post with it so any
suggestions. Did use another one about year ago that was good but cannot
remember it. Better start searching google groups for thread cos I do
remember discussing it here about then.

Ihug feed..... Ye ha. hope it is better than it used to be with all the
crap that it entailed a while back LOL.

See Ya
bAZZ

Komrade Klark

E. Scrooge wrote:
> "Komrade Klark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:1153071350.532491@ftpsrv1...
>> E. Scrooge wrote:
>>> Because Slingshot's news server with feed from ihug isn't.
>>>
>>> E. Scrooge

>> Yeah, all day, and their helpdesk staff knew nothing about it late last
>> night. That makes me so angry!
>>
>> I had to send them this...
>>
>> Error Earlier today (It's been throwing this error much of the day and
>> counting up the completed newsgroups during the day).
>>
>> A News (NNTP) error occurred: initial server rebuild in progress
>> (1514575 groups complete), please try again later.
>>

>> It now appears to have completed the repair, but is now generating this
>> error for quite a number of the newsgroups. nz.comp, nz.general,
>> nzpolitics etc to name a few.
>>
>> The newsgroup nz.comp does not appear to exist on the host
>> news.slingshot.co.nz. Would you like to unsubscribe from it?

> I got the NZ groups last night, it was a while before I could post to them
> using Slingshot though. If you haven't lost the groups to select you'll
> need to unsubscribe from them and reset the entire list of newsgroups. Then
> you should see the NZ ones on the list and be able to use them.
>
> A fat lot of good Slingshot's Network Status is, and ihug's status is full
> of blame on Telecom.

cheers... it came right after the 'apparent' second part of the completed.

E. Scrooge

"bAZZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> E. Scrooge wrote:
>> Because Slingshot's news server with feed from ihug isn't.
>>
>> E. Scrooge

> Woke up some time last night I believe. Just got all my groups updated.
>
> Hi Scroogie, how you doin. Been awhile since I have been posting and back
> online.
>
> I too have joined slingshot and *hope* to have adsl hooked up by 25th ( 2
> week wait so far). Should have checked with you as you have been with them
> awhile as to their news server and its issues. Must say it has **** itself
> 1st week I have used it (last nite) so not looking good. apart from google
> groups do you have a back up free server for times like this ? I used
> read.free.groups (i think) but can't post with it so any suggestions. Did
> use another one about year ago that was good but cannot remember it.
> Better start searching google groups for thread cos I do remember
> discussing it here about then.
>
> Ihug feed..... Ye ha. hope it is better than it used to be with all the
> crap that it entailed a while back LOL.
>
> See Ya
> bAZZ

ihug's news service has improved somewhat. With everything else Slingshot
is a lot more reliable, especially over the Christmas period which gets
bigger loads than the rest of the year.

Good free news service is *nntp.aioe.org*. Pretty reliable. You can send
up to 25 posts a day on it, read as many as you like. A lot of Xtra users
are now using it, no other choice unless they leave Xtra.

Be good to see Slingshot Broadband goes for you.

Cheers,
E. Scrooge

Lynn

> Good free news service is *nntp.aioe.org*. Pretty reliable. You can send
> up to 25 posts a day on it, read as many as you like. A lot of Xtra users
> are now using it, no other choice unless they leave Xtra.
>
> Be good to see Slingshot Broadband goes for you.
>
> Cheers,
> E. Scrooge

Hi, Im having trouble seeing messages with aioe.org. I seem to be able
to read a dozen or so messages and then the message bodies stop loading.
I can still see the subject titles but no messages. what could be
causing this?
Lynn ps sorry for repeating myself but cant see any sign of my original
post so aive hijacked this one.

bAZZ

E. Scrooge wrote:
> "bAZZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> E. Scrooge wrote:
>>> Because Slingshot's news server with feed from ihug isn't.
>>>
>>> E. Scrooge

>> Woke up some time last night I believe. Just got all my groups updated.
>>
>> Hi Scroogie, how you doin. Been awhile since I have been posting and back
>> online.
>>
>> I too have joined slingshot and *hope* to have adsl hooked up by 25th ( 2
>> week wait so far). Should have checked with you as you have been with them
>> awhile as to their news server and its issues. Must say it has **** itself
>> 1st week I have used it (last nite) so not looking good. apart from google
>> groups do you have a back up free server for times like this ? I used
>> read.free.groups (i think) but can't post with it so any suggestions. Did
>> use another one about year ago that was good but cannot remember it.
>> Better start searching google groups for thread cos I do remember
>> discussing it here about then.
>>
>> Ihug feed..... Ye ha. hope it is better than it used to be with all the
>> crap that it entailed a while back LOL.
>>
>> See Ya
>> bAZZ

> ihug's news service has improved somewhat. With everything else Slingshot
> is a lot more reliable, especially over the Christmas period which gets
> bigger loads than the rest of the year.
>
> Good free news service is *nntp.aioe.org*. Pretty reliable. You can send
> up to 25 posts a day on it, read as many as you like. A lot of Xtra users
> are now using it, no other choice unless they leave Xtra.
>
> Be good to see Slingshot Broadband goes for you.
>
> Cheers,
> E. Scrooge

Cheers Scrooge will check em out.

Yeah looking forward to it getting hooked up. In a year the whole
landscape has changed regarding broadband. when last on used to fret
over the 10 gig cap and 64k throttling. Now there are plans at 3.5m up
to 100 gig for around hundred - hndred fifty bucks or so. I 've settled
for 20 to 35 if needed a month. Should be ample. Can now enable
broadband in kids rooms and xbox live without worrying too much about a
cap. Be good.

See Ya

bAZZ .. >>
If you try me, you'll buy me