Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > "The credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials"

"The credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials"

-=rjh=-

A couple of days ago, two things happened; the PC concerned became
unstable after running low on swap space, and I installed MS updates (W2K).

After rebooting, I get the error message "The credentials supplied
conflict with an existing set of credentials" when trying to access my
shares on my CentOS fileserver as they appear in My Network Places.

Any pointers? I cannot see any existing connections to the fileserver
from this machine, so can't see that there is an existing set of
credentials in use to conflict with anyway; and I always use the same
login/connect as name too.

This setup has run rock-solid for months, and I've made no changes to
anything at the fileserver, either.

I can work around this by mapping network drives to drive letters (and
using IP address not server name), but I really don't want to do that as
it tends to slow down loading "My Computer' especially if things break.

I'm picking that either MS update has broken something (unlikely) or
system instability has broken some configuration file somewhere - but what?

Malcolm

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 14:07:04 +1200
-=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> A couple of days ago, two things happened; the PC concerned became
> unstable after running low on swap space, and I installed MS updates
> (W2K).
>
> After rebooting, I get the error message "The credentials supplied
> conflict with an existing set of credentials" when trying to access
> my shares on my CentOS fileserver as they appear in My Network Places.
>
> Any pointers? I cannot see any existing connections to the fileserver
> from this machine, so can't see that there is an existing set of
> credentials in use to conflict with anyway; and I always use the same
> login/connect as name too.
>
> This setup has run rock-solid for months, and I've made no changes to
> anything at the fileserver, either.
>
> I can work around this by mapping network drives to drive letters
> (and using IP address not server name), but I really don't want to do
> that as it tends to slow down loading "My Computer' especially if
> things break.
>
> I'm picking that either MS update has broken something (unlikely) or
> system instability has broken some configuration file somewhere - but
> what?

Hi
Plenty about the issue on google, this should help though;

Cheers
Malcolm °¿°

-=rjh=-

Malcolm wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 14:07:04 +1200
> -=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> A couple of days ago, two things happened; the PC concerned became
>> unstable after running low on swap space, and I installed MS updates
>> (W2K).
>>
>> After rebooting, I get the error message "The credentials supplied
>> conflict with an existing set of credentials" when trying to access
>> my shares on my CentOS fileserver as they appear in My Network Places.
>>
>> Any pointers? I cannot see any existing connections to the fileserver
>> from this machine, so can't see that there is an existing set of
>> credentials in use to conflict with anyway; and I always use the same
>> login/connect as name too.
>>
>> This setup has run rock-solid for months, and I've made no changes to
>> anything at the fileserver, either.
>>
>> I can work around this by mapping network drives to drive letters
>> (and using IP address not server name), but I really don't want to do
>> that as it tends to slow down loading "My Computer' especially if
>> things break.
>>
>> I'm picking that either MS update has broken something (unlikely) or
>> system instability has broken some configuration file somewhere - but
>> what?

> Hi
> Plenty about the issue on google,

I know; mostly detailing that this is normal behaviour and a "security
feature" (although google was where I found the MS recommended
workaround of using the IP address).

this should help though;

Like a charm. Thanks.