Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Just a thought :)

Just a thought :)

Shane

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectid=10391066
omputer works through 'power of thought'

9.00am Thursday July 13, 2006
By Patricia Reaney

LONDON - A paralysed man using a new brain sensor has been able to move a
computer cursor, open email and control a robotic device simply by thinking
about doing it, a team of scientists said today.

They believe the BrainGate sensor, which involves implanting electrodes in
the brain, could offer new hope to people paralysed by injuries or
illnesses.

__EOP__

This would have brilliant military applications, think which target to
shoot, faster than the head/eye movement in the apache helicopter gunships

--
Rule 6: There is no rule 6

Blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

Shank

Shane wrote:
> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectid=10391066
> omputer works through 'power of thought'
>
> 9.00am Thursday July 13, 2006
> By Patricia Reaney
>
> LONDON - A paralysed man using a new brain sensor has been able to move a
> computer cursor, open email and control a robotic device simply by thinking
> about doing it, a team of scientists said today.
>
> They believe the BrainGate sensor, which involves implanting electrodes in
> the brain, could offer new hope to people paralysed by injuries or
> illnesses.
>
> __EOP__
>
> This would have brilliant military applications, think which target to
> shoot, faster than the head/eye movement in the apache helicopter gunships

But wouldn't you have to recognise the target first? Unless your
thinking is "Shoot anything that's not me". Problem for friendly forces
there.

B.... Thunderbird sees "recognise" as a spelling mistake. I'm sure it is
UK/NZ correct. Only gives "English/US" dictionary choice. Is there a UK
dictionary available? Lol, doesn't recognise Thunderbird except as 2
separate words.

--
Rob

In poker you have to show your hand eventually if called. So far SCO
have with great reluctance shown only one card, which turned out to be
"Mr Bun, The Baker". -- Electric Dragon on groklaw.net

Shane

Shank wrote:

> Shane wrote:
>> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectid=10391066
>> omputer works through 'power of thought'
>>
>> 9.00am Thursday July 13, 2006
>> By Patricia Reaney
>>
>> LONDON - A paralysed man using a new brain sensor has been able to move a
>> computer cursor, open email and control a robotic device simply by
>> thinking about doing it, a team of scientists said today.
>>
>> They believe the BrainGate sensor, which involves implanting electrodes
>> in the brain, could offer new hope to people paralysed by injuries or
>> illnesses.
>>
>> __EOP__
>>
>> This would have brilliant military applications, think which target to
>> shoot, faster than the head/eye movement in the apache helicopter
>> gunships
>>

> But wouldn't you have to recognise the target first? Unless your
> thinking is "Shoot anything that's not me". Problem for friendly forces
> there.

With the apache system you still have to pull the trigger, just the
targetting is done with the helmet
It would get a bit dicey otherwise

> B.... Thunderbird sees "recognise" as a spelling mistake. I'm sure it is
> UK/NZ correct. Only gives "English/US" dictionary choice. Is there a UK
> dictionary available? Lol, doesn't recognise Thunderbird except as 2
> separate words.

http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/dictionaries.html

See if that helps
--
Rule 6: There is no rule 6

Blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

Fred Dagg

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 11:50:59 +1200, Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>
exclaimed:

>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectid=10391066
>omputer works through 'power of thought'
>
>9.00am Thursday July 13, 2006
>By Patricia Reaney
>
>LONDON - A paralysed man using a new brain sensor has been able to move a
>computer cursor, open email and control a robotic device simply by thinking
>about doing it, a team of scientists said today.
>
>They believe the BrainGate sensor, which involves implanting electrodes in
>the brain, could offer new hope to people paralysed by injuries or
>illnesses.
>
>__EOP__
>
>This would have brilliant military applications, think which target to
>shoot, faster than the head/eye movement in the apache helicopter gunships

And think of the gaming!!!

Jerry

Shank wrote:
> Shane wrote:
>
>> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectid=10391066
>> omputer works through 'power of thought'
>>
>> 9.00am Thursday July 13, 2006
>> By Patricia Reaney
>>
>> LONDON - A paralysed man using a new brain sensor has been able to move a
>> computer cursor, open email and control a robotic device simply by
>> thinking
>> about doing it, a team of scientists said today.
>>
>> They believe the BrainGate sensor, which involves implanting
>> electrodes in
>> the brain, could offer new hope to people paralysed by injuries or
>> illnesses.
>>
>> __EOP__
>>
>> This would have brilliant military applications, think which target to
>> shoot, faster than the head/eye movement in the apache helicopter
>> gunships
>>

> But wouldn't you have to recognise the target first? Unless your
> thinking is "Shoot anything that's not me". Problem for friendly forces
> there.
>
> B.... Thunderbird sees "recognise" as a spelling mistake. I'm sure it is
> UK/NZ correct. Only gives "English/US" dictionary choice. Is there a UK
> dictionary available? Lol, doesn't recognise Thunderbird except as 2
> separate words.

That is strange, Thunderbird is a good US word.
http://bumwine.com/tbird.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Thunderbird

Just don't mix the two, actually you might be better off is you avoid
the first one

Shank

Shane wrote:

>> B.... Thunderbird sees "recognise" as a spelling mistake. I'm sure it is
>> UK/NZ correct. Only gives "English/US" dictionary choice. Is there a UK
>> dictionary available? Lol, doesn't recognise Thunderbird except as 2
>> separate words.
>>

> http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/dictionaries.html
>
> See if that helps

Doncha just luv usenet?