Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Lots of errors in new DVD disk pack...

Lots of errors in new DVD disk pack...

Ross

>Australian PC Users Magazine recently ran a few articles on DVD-R(W)
>quality. Verbatim came out way ahead of the others. Yeah, Ok, they
>*could have been payed to say that, but they did give all the results in
>the mag.
>
>Verbatim are not commonly available. I use PB Tech, they have spindles
>at reasonable cost.

I use TasTech.co.nz and only buy Verbatim DatalifePlus.
The +R rated superior to their -R in a recent magazine test.

Chris Lim

Sticky wrote:
> Verbatim are not commonly available. I use PB Tech, they have spindles
> at reasonable cost.

I think I ordered mine from Dragon PC (www.dragonpc.co.nz) and/or
Aquilatech
(http://www.aquilatech.co.nz/productL...ubCat=1900041).

Mark C

Komrade Klark <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in news:1152685500.394769@ftpsrv1:

>> Have you updated the Firmware in the DVD Writer..,?
>>
>> This is a must with most drives..

> Actually I haven't, but I hadn't thought of it either. No real
> problems to date though. Is this risky to do? Can you suggest as
> to how I might go about updating it? I'm not lazy... prepared to
> do the research, but always happy to have a head start if you
> don't mind helping me out. It's an LG. "HL-DT-ST DVDRAM
> GSA-4082B" according to Device Manager.

Go here:
http://us.lgservice.com/ (requires JavaScript)
Click 'Device Driver'
Product: DVD-ROM(Writer)
Subject: GSA-4082B
Click 'Search'
Click 'GSA-4082B firmware' (subject column)
Read
Choose the appropriate firmware (A208 - but see below)

IF you want to play region 1 and 2 video DVDs into your writer, and
have problems with RPC, then these modified firmwares might be of
interest:
http://tdb.rpc1.org/#GSA4082B

.... but do this at your own risk, and read this first:
http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=239

Is A208 the most recent firmware?
Possibly not. A209 might exist and might be official.
http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=GSA-4082B+a209
http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=1796

I can't say.
I do recall that A106 firmware for my GSA-4163B was available on
(IIRC) ca.lgservice.com, but NOT on www.lgservice.com.
I only found out about A106 on cdfreaks.com (or cdrlabs.com)
This means that LG aren't too organized as to which lg sites get
which updates, and the A209 listed in the link above might be legit.

HTH,
Mark

Robert Cooze

Waylon Kenning wrote:
> T'was the Wed, 12 Jul 2006 10:47:36 +1200 when I remembered Lawrence
> D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> saying something like
> this:
>
>> Here in Hamilton all the shops are full of Imation. Looking for
>> alternative brands, I've found a few places selling TDK, but it appears
>> only K-Mart has them in spindles of 25.

> Tried PBTech?

Yes PBTech seem to have good stuff and cheep stuff but there stock
changes as they sell out stuff and restock with new different stuff.

Invisible

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 06:49:37 +1200, Robert Cooze <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Waylon Kenning wrote:
>> T'was the Wed, 12 Jul 2006 10:47:36 +1200 when I remembered Lawrence
>> D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> saying something like
>> this:
>>
>>> Here in Hamilton all the shops are full of Imation. Looking for
>>> alternative brands, I've found a few places selling TDK, but it appears
>>> only K-Mart has them in spindles of 25.

>> Tried PBTech?

>Yes PBTech seem to have good stuff and cheep stuff but there stock
>changes as they sell out stuff and restock with new different stuff.

Anyone know their final shipping charges? The estimated cost is a tad high:

"To estimate cost of packaging and courier, for a single "ticket" it costs:
$5 in Auckland, $10 Rest of North Island, $15 South Island.

FREIGHT IS INDICATIVE AND WILL BE CONFIRMED AT POINT OF DESPATCH."

Komrade Klark wrote:
> Hi, if anyone is able to help me determine from the following log,
> whether this is a hardware error, or a disk error it would be much
> appreciated. I'm getting lots of errors in the new disk pack I've just
> opened (the last pack has been just fine - same type but unknown if from
> the same batch). I can't say all the errors have been similar as this is
> the first log I've captured. Thanks in advance...
>
> ---

<snip>

I would never have mentioned this until it happened to me recently:

Over the last weekend I had Nero finish burning DVD's that would never
pass verification tests, I wasn't sure what on earth was going on so I
slowed the burn down to 1x and still got it a little.

I then thought maybe the system was too taxed so I closed all running
applications and tried again and got a failed DVD every second or third
burn.

Tuesday morning came and the PC was dead, it turned out the PSU had
slowly died and painful death by having too many hard disks sucking it
dry (sure, it wasn't an expensive one but since then I've done my
homework on what the ratings on these "500 watt" PSU's really have inside).

I have a good feeling this is not your problem, but worth a mention all
the same.

Cheers,

Komrade Klark

k wrote:
> Komrade Klark wrote:
>> Hi, if anyone is able to help me determine from the following log,
>> whether this is a hardware error, or a disk error it would be much
>> appreciated. I'm getting lots of errors in the new disk pack I've just
>> opened (the last pack has been just fine - same type but unknown if
>> from the same batch). I can't say all the errors have been similar as
>> this is the first log I've captured. Thanks in advance...
>>
>> ---

> <snip>
>
> I would never have mentioned this until it happened to me recently:
>
> Over the last weekend I had Nero finish burning DVD's that would never
> pass verification tests, I wasn't sure what on earth was going on so I
> slowed the burn down to 1x and still got it a little.
>
> I then thought maybe the system was too taxed so I closed all running
> applications and tried again and got a failed DVD every second or third
> burn.
>
> Tuesday morning came and the PC was dead, it turned out the PSU had
> slowly died and painful death by having too many hard disks sucking it
> dry (sure, it wasn't an expensive one but since then I've done my
> homework on what the ratings on these "500 watt" PSU's really have inside).
>
> I have a good feeling this is not your problem, but worth a mention all
> the same.
>
> Cheers,

Oooooh, yukky. Actually I don't think that's my problem either. But I
could have a scarier problem. See one of the later posts. Thanks by the way.

Komrade Klark

Mark C wrote:
> Komrade Klark <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote in news:1152685500.394769@ftpsrv1:
>
>>> Have you updated the Firmware in the DVD Writer..,?
>>>
>>> This is a must with most drives..

>> Actually I haven't, but I hadn't thought of it either. No real
>> problems to date though. Is this risky to do? Can you suggest as
>> to how I might go about updating it? I'm not lazy... prepared to
>> do the research, but always happy to have a head start if you
>> don't mind helping me out. It's an LG. "HL-DT-ST DVDRAM
>> GSA-4082B" according to Device Manager.

> Go here:
> http://us.lgservice.com/ (requires JavaScript)
> Click 'Device Driver'
> Product: DVD-ROM(Writer)
> Subject: GSA-4082B
> Click 'Search'
> Click 'GSA-4082B firmware' (subject column)
> Read
> Choose the appropriate firmware (A208 - but see below)
>
> IF you want to play region 1 and 2 video DVDs into your writer, and
> have problems with RPC, then these modified firmwares might be of
> interest:
> http://tdb.rpc1.org/#GSA4082B
>
> .... but do this at your own risk, and read this first:
> http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=239
>
> Is A208 the most recent firmware?
> Possibly not. A209 might exist and might be official.
> http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=GSA-4082B+a209
> http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=1796
>
> I can't say.
> I do recall that A106 firmware for my GSA-4163B was available on
> (IIRC) ca.lgservice.com, but NOT on www.lgservice.com.
> I only found out about A106 on cdfreaks.com (or cdrlabs.com)
> This means that LG aren't too organized as to which lg sites get
> which updates, and the A209 listed in the link above might be legit.
>
> HTH,
> Mark

Thanks for that Mark. I'll check it out. Yes, I was thinking it was
potentially risky.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Invisible <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 06:49:37 +1200, Robert Cooze <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Waylon Kenning wrote:
>>> T'was the Wed, 12 Jul 2006 10:47:36 +1200 when I remembered Lawrence
>>> D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> saying something like
>>> this:

>>> Tried PBTech?

>>Yes PBTech seem to have good stuff and cheep stuff but there stock
>>changes as they sell out stuff and restock with new different stuff.

>Anyone know their final shipping charges? The estimated cost is a tad high:
>
>"To estimate cost of packaging and courier, for a single "ticket" it costs:
>$5 in Auckland, $10 Rest of North Island, $15 South Island.

Would that still apply if I went into the local branch in Anglesea
Street?

SchoolTech

Mark C wrote:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> According to http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm
>>> Princo media is 3rd grade so will be variable. I find the same
>>> for my present batch of Imation DVD+R 8x discs made by CMC -
>>> some are very good but some fail.

>> Here in Hamilton all the shops are full of Imation. Looking for
>> alternative brands, I've found a few places selling TDK, but it
>> appears only K-Mart has them in spindles of 25.

> I have nothing but praise for these people:
> http://blankcd.co.nz/
>
> DVD-R: http://blankcd.co.nz/dvdmedia.htm
> DVD+R: http://blankcd.co.nz/dvd%2Brmedia.htm

In Christchurch? DragonPC are cheaper.