Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Lots of errors in new DVD disk pack...

Lots of errors in new DVD disk pack...

Komrade Klark

> I always burn them at 4x. When I had a some spindles of Excel 8x
> DVD+R (OptodiscOR8 guaranteed A grade) I burned them at 6x and got
> better results.

Thanks. When I get errors I try stepping down to 2x. These PRINCO's are
1x - 4x but I think Nero only allows 2x and 4xburn.

Komrade Klark

> According to http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm
> Princo media is 3rd grade so will be variable. I find the same for my
> present batch of Imation DVD+R 8x discs made by CMC - some are very
> good but some fail.

I believe you, but the pack says "A GRADE".

Komrade Klark

> I tried a spindle of 8x CMC once and had heaps of coasters. Had to burn
> at 4x to get a decent success rate.
>
> These days I use Verbatim. They're really good, fast (16x), and
> relatively cheap (< $1ea).

Thanks Chris. Never heard of CMC.

Komrade Klark

> Here in Hamilton all the shops are full of Imation. Looking for
> alternative brands, I've found a few places selling TDK, but it appears
> only K-Mart has them in spindles of 25.

Hmmm, thanks Lawrence.

What are people's opinion of the best printable disc? TDK, Mitsubishi,
Kodak? What's top of the line? I personally don't mind paying a bit more
for the best.

Anyone care to comment on their lifetime? e.g. Gold as opposed to Blue
layer etc?

Komrade Klark

Mark C wrote:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> According to http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm
>>> Princo media is 3rd grade so will be variable. I find the same
>>> for my present batch of Imation DVD+R 8x discs made by CMC -
>>> some are very good but some fail.

>> Here in Hamilton all the shops are full of Imation. Looking for
>> alternative brands, I've found a few places selling TDK, but it
>> appears only K-Mart has them in spindles of 25.

> I have nothing but praise for these people:
> http://blankcd.co.nz/
>
> DVD-R: http://blankcd.co.nz/dvdmedia.htm
> DVD+R: http://blankcd.co.nz/dvd%2Brmedia.htm
>
> Mark

Thanks Mark. I'm going to check them out.

Komrade Klark

> Have you updated the Firmware in the DVD Writer..,?
>
> This is a must with most drives..

Actually I haven't, but I hadn't thought of it either. No real problems
to date though. Is this risky to do? Can you suggest as to how I might
go about updating it? I'm not lazy... prepared to do the research, but
always happy to have a head start if you don't mind helping me out. It's
an LG. "HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4082B" according to Device Manager.

Komrade Klark

> I used to use Princo because they were cheap. I also used a LiteOn
> DVD-RW drive and others. I got lots of coasters no matter what speed I
> burnt at or which version of firmware I used.
>
> ==============================
> I now burn at 50% of the rated speed.
> I now use only Verbatim or Imation or Spin-X (Warehouse)
> (in order of preference.)
> I now only use a Pioneer DVR110 burner
> ===============================
>
> Now I don't get *any* coasters
>
> Australian PC Users Magazine recently ran a few articles on DVD-R(W)
> quality. Verbatim came out way ahead of the others. Yeah, Ok, they
> *could have been payed to say that, but they did give all the results in
> the mag.
>
> Verbatim are not commonly available. I use PB Tech, they have spindles
> at reasonable cost.

Thanks Sticky. Appreciate that. I have heard Verbatim are excellent, so
PC Mag is probably correct anyway.

I was still getting errors last night even at 2x. See my later post.
Reboot done (dunno if a reboot will matter but could do with MS... who
knows), will try more from a new fresh pack tonight. Update you later.

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Wed, 12 Jul 2006 10:47:36 +1200 when I remembered Lawrence
D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> saying something like
this:

>Here in Hamilton all the shops are full of Imation. Looking for
>alternative brands, I've found a few places selling TDK, but it appears
>only K-Mart has them in spindles of 25.

Tried PBTech?
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

Komrade Klark

MMM, ok, now I'm really worried.

In event viewer...

EventID: 51
An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\D during a paging
operation.

This link reveals a guy says it relates to a possible imminent hard disk
failure, then posts later saying it did die.

Any comments to support this?

GraB

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 18:23:11 +1200, Komrade Klark
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> I tried a spindle of 8x CMC once and had heaps of coasters. Had to burn
>> at 4x to get a decent success rate.
>>
>> These days I use Verbatim. They're really good, fast (16x), and
>> relatively cheap (< $1ea).

>Thanks Chris. Never heard of CMC.

It is a problem when buying some discs as you don't know who made
them. My Imations are made in Taiwan by CMC. There is no indication
on the packaging about who makes them and Imation use four different
manufacturers. But you can tell the Imation CMC discs as the tubs
have a high lip and are made in Taiwan.