Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > GOV out to screw Woosh??

GOV out to screw Woosh??

Mutlley

Government deaf to Woosh's WiMax plea

By TOM PULLAR-STRECKER

The Government is pressing ahead with plans to reallocate spectrum in
the 2.3GHz band, despite the protests of existing licence holder
Woosh, which is screaming blue murder.

steve

Mutlley wrote:

> Government deaf to Woosh's WiMax plea
>
> By TOM PULLAR-STRECKER
>
> The Government is pressing ahead with plans to reallocate spectrum in
> the 2.3GHz band, despite the protests of existing licence holder
> Woosh, which is screaming blue murder.
>
> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3725769a28,00.html

A tough call.

That spectrum has been allocated for some time now and it has not been made
good use of from the Government's point of view. The services promised for
it simply aren't there for most people.

Sure.....Whoosh says the hardware that can actually USE a 128MHz block of
frequency will be available "next year". How long have they already held
that frequency?

The Government clearly wants to make more lots of frequency available to
more providers at a cheaper rpice - for the benefit of all of us.

That will help under-capitalised players like Whoosh, too.

They might be able to afford to actually build something.

Vista

"Mutlley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Government deaf to Woosh's WiMax plea
>
> By TOM PULLAR-STRECKER
>
> The Government is pressing ahead with plans to reallocate spectrum in
> the 2.3GHz band, despite the protests of existing licence holder
> Woosh, which is screaming blue murder.
>
> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3725769a28,00.html

Woosh hasn't expanded enough, and quickly enough. I am in an urban part of
Wellington, and still can't get it despite contacting them a couple of years
ago, and them telling me that it would be available in my area eventually.