Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > School Successes

School Successes

MaHogany

http://www.networkworld.com/weblogs/...06/012903.html

"" You probably agree with me that running Windows XP on a 1.4GHz PIII
would make that user unhappy. And yet that's the server for the Linux
system driving 16 stations (they'll double that next year). ""

Ma Hogany

--
Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
A: Throw it harder...

Craig Whitmore

"MaHogany" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.networkworld.com/weblogs/...06/012903.html
>
> "" You probably agree with me that running Windows XP on a 1.4GHz PIII
> would make that user unhappy. And yet that's the server for the Linux
> system driving 16 stations (they'll double that next year). ""

With K12 the central server does hardly any work in the 1st place as it
just acts as a fileserver.machine to boot from for ther others. You could
replace
the Linux machine with a windows machine to do the same type of purpose.

Thanks

MaHogany

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 13:37:42 +1200, Craig Whitmore wrote:

> With K12 the central server does hardly any work in the 1st place as it
> just acts as a fileserver.machine to boot from for ther others. You could
> replace
> the Linux machine with a windows machine to do the same type of purpose.

Not without paying lots of dosh to get a version of Windoze somewhat
capable of doing that.

Ma Hogany

--
Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
A: Throw it harder...

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Sun, 09 Jul 2006 13:34:06 +1200 when I remembered MaHogany

>"" You probably agree with me that running Windows XP on a 1.4GHz PIII
>would make that user unhappy. And yet that's the server for the Linux
>system driving 16 stations (they'll double that next year). ""

I was considering upgrading a school with terminal clients. I think it
would give students best bang for buck in terms of increasing the
amount of computer access to average students, but the company in
charge of the IT at the school had the argument that terminal clients
limit the things students can do with the machines, they can't use
external devices, no scanners, etc... I thought the argument of
students having a terminal client vs. not having a computer at all was
compelling enough, but perhaps not.

I would use K12LTSP as well, for best bang for buck. I really am sick
of all companies taking advantage of educational institutions. Some
are better than other with educational discounts, but others just milk
those schools for all they're worth.

PS - this is no endorsement of your crusade, just picking the best
technology for the solution.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

MaHogany

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 17:36:29 +1200, Waylon Kenning wrote:

> I was considering upgrading a school with terminal clients. I think it
> would give students best bang for buck in terms of increasing the
> amount of computer access to average students, but the company in
> charge of the IT at the school had the argument that terminal clients
> limit the things students can do with the machines, they can't use
> external devices, no scanners, etc... I thought the argument of
> students having a terminal client vs. not having a computer at all was
> compelling enough, but perhaps not.

Why can't a scanner (or any other external device for that matter) be
attatched to a thin client?

So it would take a while to scan something in and store on the server.

With a gigabit LAN it would hardly matter.

Ma Hogany

--
Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
A: Throw it harder...

MaHogany

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 17:36:29 +1200, Waylon Kenning wrote:

> PS - this is no endorsement of your crusade, just picking the best
> technology for the solution.

What "crusade" is that?

Ma Hogany

--
Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
A: Throw it harder...

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Sun, 09 Jul 2006 17:56:40 +1200 when I remembered MaHogany

>Why can't a scanner (or any other external device for that matter) be
>attatched to a thin client?
>
>So it would take a while to scan something in and store on the server.
>
>With a gigabit LAN it would hardly matter.

Drivers to interface between terminal client and terminal server.
Actually physical ports on terminal client and scanner. And it would
hardly matter if a few users start eating bandwidth making other
user's machines unresponsive. Would be a far better option to perhaps
have one or two dedicated stand alone PCs for scanning, burning CDs or
whatever, per say a pod of terminal clients.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

jasen

On 2006-07-09, Waylon Kenning <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> T'was the Sun, 09 Jul 2006 13:34:06 +1200 when I remembered MaHogany
><(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:
>
>>"" You probably agree with me that running Windows XP on a 1.4GHz PIII
>>would make that user unhappy. And yet that's the server for the Linux
>>system driving 16 stations (they'll double that next year). ""

> I was considering upgrading a school with terminal clients. I think it
> would give students best bang for buck in terms of increasing the
> amount of computer access to average students, but the company in
> charge of the IT at the school had the argument that terminal clients
> limit the things students can do with the machines, they can't use
> external devices, no scanners, etc... I thought the argument of
> students having a terminal client vs. not having a computer at all was
> compelling enough, but perhaps not.

yeah like does every student need a scanner?
stick a pc somewhere in each classroom with a scanner, that should be enough.

> I would use K12LTSP as well,

LTSP? there's some non-intel thin client hartware out there
that can run X, some guy was selling a bunc on trademe last month
(it also ran wince based windows thin client stuff which he had it
advertised as)

Bye.
Jasen

jasen

On 2006-07-09, MaHogany <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 17:36:29 +1200, Waylon Kenning wrote:
>
>> I was considering upgrading a school with terminal clients. I think it
>> would give students best bang for buck in terms of increasing the
>> amount of computer access to average students, but the company in
>> charge of the IT at the school had the argument that terminal clients
>> limit the things students can do with the machines, they can't use
>> external devices, no scanners, etc... I thought the argument of
>> students having a terminal client vs. not having a computer at all was
>> compelling enough, but perhaps not.

> Why can't a scanner (or any other external device for that matter) be
> attatched to a thin client?

depends on the hardware, if it's a PC it should be possible, if not....

> So it would take a while to scan something in and store on the server.

--

Bye.
Jasen

shannon

Waylon Kenning wrote:
> T'was the Sun, 09 Jul 2006 13:34:06 +1200 when I remembered MaHogany
> <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:
>
>> "" You probably agree with me that running Windows XP on a 1.4GHz PIII
>> would make that user unhappy. And yet that's the server for the Linux
>> system driving 16 stations (they'll double that next year). ""

> I was considering upgrading a school with terminal clients. I think it
> would give students best bang for buck in terms of increasing the
> amount of computer access to average students, but the company in
> charge of the IT at the school had the argument that terminal clients
> limit the things students can do with the machines, they can't use
> external devices, no scanners, etc... I thought the argument of
> students having a terminal client vs. not having a computer at all was
> compelling enough, but perhaps not.
>
> I would use K12LTSP as well, for best bang for buck. I really am sick
> of all companies taking advantage of educational institutions. Some
> are better than other with educational discounts, but others just milk
> those schools for all they're worth.
>
> PS - this is no endorsement of your crusade, just picking the best
> technology for the solution.

I noticed some pretty attractively priced HP thin clients on ascents site
http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpeci...?ItemID=343149
It would cut down on power consumption and noise.