Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Changing Xtra broadband plans

Changing Xtra broadband plans

Matty F

I have received a couple of communications from Xtra re changing
broadband plans that seem to contradict themselves. To help Xtra
improve their performance in future I have a few suggestions.
Sadly, I don't suppose anyone from Xtra reads newsgroups any
more. And do note that I have been a loyal Xtra customer so far.

To spell it out:

1. Firstly Xtra say that I "donít have to do anything to take
advantage of the changes" but then invite me to change plans by
going to a website and filling out a form.

2. Perhaps this is so that I have to accept new conditions in
order to change plan.

3. Once I switch to a new plan I "won't be able to go back to the
old one" because "the old plans are gradually being phased out",
and yet "If you'd rather stay with your existing Xtra Broadband
plan, do nothing". So I can stay with the old plan indefinitely
can I? Yeah right.

4. The new plans are "improved ones". So why does the maximum
upload speed reduce from 192 Kbps to 128 Kbps in the new plan?
How is that an improvement?

5. When I try to change plans and fill out the form why do I get
the message "[an error occurred while processing this directive]"
with both IE and Mozilla?

6. When I call the helpline, why do I get a message that I may
have to wait for half an hour, when it's clearly their software
that sucks?

Here are the communications from Xtra:

"Youíre about to get faster or cheaper broadband or both - either
way itís good news. The best bit is, as an Xtra customer, you
donít have to do anything to take advantage of the changes."

"If you'd like to change plan, you can do this online by visiting
xtra.co.nz/changeplan. Just remember that once you switch to a
new plan you won't be able to go back to the old one. That's
because the old plans are gradually being phased out in favour of
the new and improved ones. If you'd rather stay with your
existing Xtra Broadband plan, do nothing. It's as easy as that."

MotoGP

Matty F wrote:
> I have received a couple of communications from Xtra re changing
> broadband plans that seem to contradict themselves. To help Xtra improve
> their performance in future I have a few suggestions. Sadly, I don't
> suppose anyone from Xtra reads newsgroups any more. And do note that I
> have been a loyal Xtra customer so far.
>
> To spell it out:
>
> 1. Firstly Xtra say that I "donít have to do anything to take advantage
> of the changes" but then invite me to change plans by going to a website
> and filling out a form.
>
> 2. Perhaps this is so that I have to accept new conditions in order to
> change plan.
>
> 3. Once I switch to a new plan I "won't be able to go back to the old
> one" because "the old plans are gradually being phased out", and yet "If
> you'd rather stay with your existing Xtra Broadband plan, do nothing".
> So I can stay with the old plan indefinitely can I? Yeah right.
>
> 4. The new plans are "improved ones". So why does the maximum upload
> speed reduce from 192 Kbps to 128 Kbps in the new plan? How is that an
> improvement?
>
> 5. When I try to change plans and fill out the form why do I get the
> message "[an error occurred while processing this directive]" with both
> IE and Mozilla?
>
> 6. When I call the helpline, why do I get a message that I may have to
> wait for half an hour, when it's clearly their software that sucks?
>
> Here are the communications from Xtra:

> "Youíre about to get faster or cheaper broadband or both - either way
> itís good news. The best bit is, as an Xtra customer, you donít have to
> do anything to take advantage of the changes."

> "If you'd like to change plan, you can do this online by visiting
> xtra.co.nz/changeplan. Just remember that once you switch to a new plan
> you won't be able to go back to the old one. That's because the old
> plans are gradually being phased out in favour of the new and improved
> ones. If you'd rather stay with your existing Xtra Broadband plan, do
> nothing. It's as easy as that."

I noted the idiots did the same here. Tell me I don't have to do
anything to switch... then the date comes and goes and I figure I'm on
the news speeds. Then I get a letter two weeks after I ditch them,
saying my current plan was still the old plan and I need to do something
to move to their new plan. FFS! They should have paid me for having to
put up with such incompetence!

Gordon

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 20:55:15 +1200, MotoGP wrote:

> Then I get a letter two weeks after I ditch them,
> saying my current plan was still the old plan and I need to do something
> to move to their new plan. FFS! They should have paid me for having to
> put up with such incompetence!

Ah, this does ring true.

Crash

Matty F wrote:
> I have received a couple of communications from Xtra re changing
> broadband plans that seem to contradict themselves. To help Xtra improve
> their performance in future I have a few suggestions. Sadly, I don't
> suppose anyone from Xtra reads newsgroups any more. And do note that I
> have been a loyal Xtra customer so far.
>
> To spell it out:
>
> 1. Firstly Xtra say that I "donít have to do anything to take advantage
> of the changes" but then invite me to change plans by going to a website
> and filling out a form.
>
> 2. Perhaps this is so that I have to accept new conditions in order to
> change plan.

Perhaps - but 1. is still a lie...

> 3. Once I switch to a new plan I "won't be able to go back to the old
> one" because "the old plans are gradually being phased out", and yet "If
> you'd rather stay with your existing Xtra Broadband plan, do nothing".
> So I can stay with the old plan indefinitely can I? Yeah right.

You can stay on the old plan until they decide to migrate you off it.

> 4. The new plans are "improved ones". So why does the maximum upload
> speed reduce from 192 Kbps to 128 Kbps in the new plan? How is that an
> improvement?

Thats a good question that has never been satisfactorily answered.

> 5. When I try to change plans and fill out the form why do I get the
> message "[an error occurred while processing this directive]" with both
> IE and Mozilla?

Your IE/Mozilla/router/modem/windows settings are clearly wrong.....

> 6. When I call the helpline, why do I get a message that I may have to
> wait for half an hour, when it's clearly their software that sucks?

You are not the only victim of 5....

<snip>

Now consider which other ISP generates this level of heat in this ng? There's a
message here and is is to change ISPs.

Crash

Seagull

"Matty F" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e8l6b6$7md$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have received a couple of communications from Xtra re changing broadband
>plans that seem to contradict themselves. To help Xtra improve their
>performance in future I have a few suggestions. Sadly, I don't suppose
>anyone from Xtra reads newsgroups any more. And do note that I have been a
>loyal Xtra customer so far.
>
> To spell it out:
>
> 1. Firstly Xtra say that I "donít have to do anything to take advantage of
> the changes" but then invite me to change plans by going to a website and
> filling out a form.
>
> 2. Perhaps this is so that I have to accept new conditions in order to
> change plan.
>
> 3. Once I switch to a new plan I "won't be able to go back to the old one"
> because "the old plans are gradually being phased out", and yet "If you'd
> rather stay with your existing Xtra Broadband plan, do nothing". So I can
> stay with the old plan indefinitely can I? Yeah right.
>
> 4. The new plans are "improved ones". So why does the maximum upload speed
> reduce from 192 Kbps to 128 Kbps in the new plan? How is that an
> improvement?
>
> 5. When I try to change plans and fill out the form why do I get the
> message "[an error occurred while processing this directive]" with both IE
> and Mozilla?
>
> 6. When I call the helpline, why do I get a message that I may have to
> wait for half an hour, when it's clearly their software that sucks?
>
> Here are the communications from Xtra:

> "Youíre about to get faster or cheaper broadband or both - either way itís
> good news. The best bit is, as an Xtra customer, you donít have to do
> anything to take advantage of the changes."

> "If you'd like to change plan, you can do this online by visiting
> xtra.co.nz/changeplan. Just remember that once you switch to a new plan
> you won't be able to go back to the old one. That's because the old plans
> are gradually being phased out in favour of the new and improved ones. If
> you'd rather stay with your existing Xtra Broadband plan, do nothing. It's
> as easy as that."

I was in exactly the same situation as you.
Around May I talked to a Telecom CSR and asked why my speed had certainly
not got faster and I had seen no reduction in price. Telecom do not know
what to do about people in your circumstances was the reply.

I thought about going to the commerce commision re false advertising but did
not get round to it.

The other day I reached my cap and finally asked to go to a new plan but
made a fuss about the reduction in upload speed and asked to retain the 192
Kbps. Telecom allow no longer cater for this upload speed was the blanket
reply.
I will shortly look to change ISP I think.
--
Seagull

Allistar

Seagull wrote:

> "Matty F" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:e8l6b6$7md$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have received a couple of communications from Xtra re changing broadband
>>plans that seem to contradict themselves. To help Xtra improve their
>>performance in future I have a few suggestions. Sadly, I don't suppose
>>anyone from Xtra reads newsgroups any more. And do note that I have been a
>>loyal Xtra customer so far.
>>
>> To spell it out:
>>
>> 1. Firstly Xtra say that I "donít have to do anything to take advantage
>> of the changes" but then invite me to change plans by going to a website
>> and filling out a form.
>>
>> 2. Perhaps this is so that I have to accept new conditions in order to
>> change plan.
>>
>> 3. Once I switch to a new plan I "won't be able to go back to the old
>> one" because "the old plans are gradually being phased out", and yet "If
>> you'd rather stay with your existing Xtra Broadband plan, do nothing". So
>> I can stay with the old plan indefinitely can I? Yeah right.
>>
>> 4. The new plans are "improved ones". So why does the maximum upload
>> speed reduce from 192 Kbps to 128 Kbps in the new plan? How is that an
>> improvement?
>>
>> 5. When I try to change plans and fill out the form why do I get the
>> message "[an error occurred while processing this directive]" with both
>> IE and Mozilla?
>>
>> 6. When I call the helpline, why do I get a message that I may have to
>> wait for half an hour, when it's clearly their software that sucks?
>>
>> Here are the communications from Xtra:

>> "Youíre about to get faster or cheaper broadband or both - either way
>> itís good news. The best bit is, as an Xtra customer, you donít have to
>> do anything to take advantage of the changes."

>> "If you'd like to change plan, you can do this online by visiting
>> xtra.co.nz/changeplan. Just remember that once you switch to a new plan
>> you won't be able to go back to the old one. That's because the old plans
>> are gradually being phased out in favour of the new and improved ones. If
>> you'd rather stay with your existing Xtra Broadband plan, do nothing.
>> It's as easy as that."
>>

> I was in exactly the same situation as you.
> Around May I talked to a Telecom CSR and asked why my speed had certainly
> not got faster and I had seen no reduction in price. Telecom do not know
> what to do about people in your circumstances was the reply.
>

> I thought about going to the commerce commision re false advertising but
> did not get round to it.
>
> The other day I reached my cap and finally asked to go to a new plan but
> made a fuss about the reduction in upload speed and asked to retain the
> 192
> Kbps. Telecom allow no longer cater for this upload speed was the blanket
> reply.
> I will shortly look to change ISP I think.

What is the reason Telecom impose such a low limit on upload speeds? I nkow
ADSL has inherent limitations, but it's nothing like 128kb/s.

Allistar.

Richard

Allistar wrote:

> What is the reason Telecom impose such a low limit on upload speeds? I nkow
> ADSL has inherent limitations, but it's nothing like 128kb/s.

To make voip crap to protect there calling revenue

MotoGP

Richard wrote:
> Allistar wrote:
>
>> What is the reason Telecom impose such a low limit on upload speeds? I
>> nkow
>> ADSL has inherent limitations, but it's nothing like 128kb/s.

> To make voip crap to protect there calling revenue

Sounds like anti-competitiveness to me.

Craig Whitmore

"MotoGP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Richard wrote:
>> Allistar wrote:
>>
>>> What is the reason Telecom impose such a low limit on upload speeds? I
>>> nkow
>>> ADSL has inherent limitations, but it's nothing like 128kb/s.

>> To make voip crap to protect there calling revenue

> Sounds like anti-competitiveness to me.

Max 128K upwards? then what are the 51K plans? To make VOIP Crap because its
128K? Quite wrong.. VOIP works fine.. normal VOIP bandwith for a connection
is ALOT less than 128K.

Thanks
Craig

MotoGP

Craig Whitmore wrote:
> "MotoGP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Richard wrote:

>>> To make voip crap to protect there calling revenue

>> Sounds like anti-competitiveness to me.

> Max 128K upwards? then what are the 51K plans? To make VOIP Crap because its
> 128K? Quite wrong.. VOIP works fine.. normal VOIP bandwith for a connection
> is ALOT less than 128K.
>
> Thanks
> Craig

Wasn't me that said it was to make VOIP crap. My reply was based on that
statement. I think you may have replied to the wrong person.