Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > The shutdown mystery solved? thanks to all

The shutdown mystery solved? thanks to all

Geopelia

The mystery shutdown that folks have been helping me with might be solved.

This morning there was a loud bang outside, and about half the power went
off, a few things in the house worked but most just flickered a bit. I shut
everything down and checked all the fuses, then the neighbour came to say
their power was off too. Several houses had lost power.

The big green box by the power pole had blown something, being Sunday the
part they needed to repair it had to be sent for, and the power was off most
of the day. The power man was up and down the ladder disconnecting stuff and
cutting cables around the box etc. (No, I didn't see any rusty shackles!)

So I think something must have been wrong inside the box for a while and
caused the mystery shutdown.

Your help is much appreciated.

Geopelia

E. Scrooge

"Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e88chg$5ut$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The mystery shutdown that folks have been helping me with might be
> solved.
>
> This morning there was a loud bang outside, and about half the power went
> off, a few things in the house worked but most just flickered a bit. I
> shut everything down and checked all the fuses, then the neighbour came to
> say their power was off too. Several houses had lost power.
>
> The big green box by the power pole had blown something, being Sunday the
> part they needed to repair it had to be sent for, and the power was off
> most of the day. The power man was up and down the ladder disconnecting
> stuff and cutting cables around the box etc. (No, I didn't see any rusty
> shackles!)
>
> So I think something must have been wrong inside the box for a while and
> caused the mystery shutdown.
>
> Your help is much appreciated.
>
> Geopelia

It would've crashed the computer straight away, a power cut wouldn't have
shut it down normally with XP unloading first.
Hope it keeps going well for you.

E. Scrooge

Geopelia

> "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:e88chg$5ut$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The mystery shutdown that folks have been helping me with might be
>> solved.
>>
>> This morning there was a loud bang outside, and about half the power went
>> off, a few things in the house worked but most just flickered a bit. I
>> shut everything down and checked all the fuses, then the neighbour came
>> to say their power was off too. Several houses had lost power.
>>
>> The big green box by the power pole had blown something, being Sunday the
>> part they needed to repair it had to be sent for, and the power was off
>> most of the day. The power man was up and down the ladder disconnecting
>> stuff and cutting cables around the box etc. (No, I didn't see any rusty
>> shackles!)
>>
>> So I think something must have been wrong inside the box for a while and
>> caused the mystery shutdown.
>>
>> Your help is much appreciated.
>>
>> Geopelia

> It would've crashed the computer straight away, a power cut wouldn't have
> shut it down normally with XP unloading first.
> Hope it keeps going well for you.
>
> E. Scrooge

We might have been getting only threequarter power or something.

David

Geopelia wrote:
> "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
>> "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:e88chg$5ut$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> The mystery shutdown that folks have been helping me with might be
>>> solved.
>>>
>>> This morning there was a loud bang outside, and about half the power went
>>> off, a few things in the house worked but most just flickered a bit. I
>>> shut everything down and checked all the fuses, then the neighbour came
>>> to say their power was off too. Several houses had lost power.
>>>
>>> The big green box by the power pole had blown something, being Sunday the
>>> part they needed to repair it had to be sent for, and the power was off
>>> most of the day. The power man was up and down the ladder disconnecting
>>> stuff and cutting cables around the box etc. (No, I didn't see any rusty
>>> shackles!)
>>>
>>> So I think something must have been wrong inside the box for a while and
>>> caused the mystery shutdown.
>>>
>>> Your help is much appreciated.
>>>
>>> Geopelia

>> It would've crashed the computer straight away, a power cut wouldn't have
>> shut it down normally with XP unloading first.
>> Hope it keeps going well for you.
>>
>> E. Scrooge

> We might have been getting only threequarter power or something.

Still, a poor electricity supply would not initiate a propery shutdown,
it could just screw around with your memory, corrupting stuff and
causing unpredictable behaviour, but more likely it would kill the whole
system instantly.

Brendan

On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 00:51:22 +1200, Geopelia wrote:

> "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
>>
>> "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:e88chg$5ut$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> The mystery shutdown that folks have been helping me with might be
>>> solved.
>>>
>>> This morning there was a loud bang outside, and about half the power went
>>> off, a few things in the house worked but most just flickered a bit. I
>>> shut everything down and checked all the fuses, then the neighbour came
>>> to say their power was off too. Several houses had lost power.
>>>
>>> The big green box by the power pole had blown something, being Sunday the
>>> part they needed to repair it had to be sent for, and the power was off
>>> most of the day. The power man was up and down the ladder disconnecting
>>> stuff and cutting cables around the box etc. (No, I didn't see any rusty
>>> shackles!)
>>>
>>> So I think something must have been wrong inside the box for a while and
>>> caused the mystery shutdown.
>>>
>>> Your help is much appreciated.
>>>
>>> Geopelia

>> It would've crashed the computer straight away, a power cut wouldn't have
>> shut it down normally with XP unloading first.
>> Hope it keeps going well for you.
>>
>> E. Scrooge

> We might have been getting only threequarter power or something.

Ignore scrooge.

What can happen sometimes is when XP detects a 'faulty' component, it will
shut down in a semi-orderly way. It can't necesarily tell the difference
between faulty and poor power supply.

It's also possible it decided it was running on batteries and they were
dying.

I consider both of these to be pretty unlikly. Usually this behaviour is
buggy drivers. If it's faulty hardware, or overheating hardware, you just
get a restart - like you flipped the power at the wall.

Viruses don't tend to do it - not destructive enough. Unless they are buggy
and futsing with drivers.

Anyway see how it goes, let us know.

--

.... Brendan

#1578 +(4919)- [X]

<calin> we had a guy at school that wore black lipstick.. and was all
gothy.. and then one day we caught him buying an assvibrator
<ecoli> ew.
<ecoli> wait, you "caught" him?
<ecoli> like, you were behind him in line at the assvibrator store?
<Aero> he doesnt answer
*** Quits: calin (No route to host)

Note: All my comments are copyright 3/07/2006 1:26:05 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

E. Scrooge

"Brendan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fppolkg9o8lr$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 00:51:22 +1200, Geopelia wrote:
>
>> "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:e88chg$5ut$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> It would've crashed the computer straight away, a power cut wouldn't
>>> have
>>> shut it down normally with XP unloading first.
>>> Hope it keeps going well for you.
>>>
>>> E. Scrooge

>> We might have been getting only threequarter power or something.

> Ignore scrooge.
>
> What can happen sometimes is when XP detects a 'faulty' component, it will
> shut down in a semi-orderly way. It can't necesarily tell the difference
> between faulty and poor power supply.
>
> It's also possible it decided it was running on batteries and they were
> dying.
>
> I consider both of these to be pretty unlikly. Usually this behaviour is
> buggy drivers. If it's faulty hardware, or overheating hardware, you just
> get a restart - like you flipped the power at the wall.
>
> Viruses don't tend to do it - not destructive enough. Unless they are
> buggy
> and futsing with drivers.
>
> Anyway see how it goes, let us know.
>
> --
>
> ... Brendan

What a great comfort you are listing damn near anything - "bugger drivers -
faulty hardware" - all of which is now working again for the op - which if
true isn't very probable that these things could've fixed themselves. If
the power goes off so does the PC straight away. There's nothing to worry
about if all is well afterwards.
The fact now is that a power cut could've been involved, the conclusion from
that is pretty obvious.

E. Scrooge

Enkidu

Geopelia wrote:

> So I think something must have been wrong inside the box for a while
> and caused the mystery shutdown.

My guess, Geo, is that you were acting on autopilot to some extent and
did not notice a message or box to tick that said that a shutdown was
about to happen..... I know I've shut things down by mistake when
installing stuff and I didn't uncheck the vital box. That said, some
software DOES force a shutdown. Click the 'Finish' box and down she goes!

Cheers,

Cliff

Dave Doe

In article <1151875373.694345@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...

> "Brendan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:fppolkg9o8lr$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 00:51:22 +1200, Geopelia wrote:
> >
> >> "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message

> >> We might have been getting only threequarter power or something.

> > Ignore scrooge.
> >
> > What can happen sometimes is when XP detects a 'faulty' component, it will
> > shut down in a semi-orderly way. It can't necesarily tell the difference
> > between faulty and poor power supply.
> >
> > It's also possible it decided it was running on batteries and they were
> > dying.
> >
> > I consider both of these to be pretty unlikly. Usually this behaviour is
> > buggy drivers. If it's faulty hardware, or overheating hardware, you just
> > get a restart - like you flipped the power at the wall.
> >
> > Viruses don't tend to do it - not destructive enough. Unless they are
> > buggy
> > and futsing with drivers.
> >
> > Anyway see how it goes, let us know.
> >
> > --
> >
> > ... Brendan

> What a great comfort you are listing damn near anything - "bugger drivers -
> faulty hardware" - all of which is now working again for the op - which if
> true isn't very probable that these things could've fixed themselves. If
> the power goes off so does the PC straight away. There's nothing to worry
> about if all is well afterwards.
> The fact now is that a power cut could've been involved, the conclusion from
> that is pretty obvious.

Still... the advice:
"Ignore scrooge."

Is excellent advice.

--
Duncan

E. Scrooge

"Dave Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). nz...
> In article <1151875373.694345@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...
>>
>> "Brendan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:fppolkg9o8lr$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > Ignore scrooge.
>> >
>> > What can happen sometimes is when XP detects a 'faulty' component, it
>> > will
>> > shut down in a semi-orderly way. It can't necesarily tell the
>> > difference
>> > between faulty and poor power supply.
>> >
>> > It's also possible it decided it was running on batteries and they were
>> > dying.
>> >
>> > I consider both of these to be pretty unlikly. Usually this behaviour
>> > is
>> > buggy drivers. If it's faulty hardware, or overheating hardware, you
>> > just
>> > get a restart - like you flipped the power at the wall.
>> >
>> > Viruses don't tend to do it - not destructive enough. Unless they are
>> > buggy
>> > and futsing with drivers.
>> >
>> > Anyway see how it goes, let us know.
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> > ... Brendan

>> What a great comfort you are listing damn near anything - "bugger
>> drivers -
>> faulty hardware" - all of which is now working again for the op - which
>> if
>> true isn't very probable that these things could've fixed themselves. If
>> the power goes off so does the PC straight away. There's nothing to
>> worry
>> about if all is well afterwards.
>> The fact now is that a power cut could've been involved, the conclusion
>> from
>> that is pretty obvious.

> Still... the advice:
> "Ignore scrooge."
>
> Is excellent advice.
>
> --
> Duncan

"Still" you don't even know the meaning of the word, Dave Doe Duncan.

E. Scrooge

Matty F

Geopelia wrote:
> The mystery shutdown that folks have been helping me with might be solved.
>
> This morning there was a loud bang outside, and about half the power went
> off, a few things in the house worked but most just flickered a bit. I shut
> everything down and checked all the fuses, then the neighbour came to say
> their power was off too. Several houses had lost power.
>
> The big green box by the power pole had blown something, being Sunday the
> part they needed to repair it had to be sent for, and the power was off most
> of the day. The power man was up and down the ladder disconnecting stuff and
> cutting cables around the box etc. (No, I didn't see any rusty shackles!)
>
> So I think something must have been wrong inside the box for a while and
> caused the mystery shutdown.

It sounds like the 11,000 volt transformer in the green box has
blown up. It's certainly possible that there has been arcing
inside for a few days that could mess up your power supply and
upset your computer.
Whenever the power goes off for a while I turn off the power or
unplug all appliances at the wall and leave a light switched on
so I can see when it's back up. When the power comes back on
there could be a voltage spike that could do some damage to
appliances. And there was a case when they connected the
transformer up wrong and delivered 11,000 volts to a whole street.