Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > A good free util

A good free util

Craig Sutton

Belarc advisor!

Tipped me off that a couple of MS patches needed reinstalling.

Now my Nvidia card is hardware decoding MPG/WMV as it should. It sure takes
a load off the processor when playing back hdtv content.

XPD

"Craig Sutton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e82jvl$isr$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Belarc advisor!
>
> Tipped me off that a couple of MS patches needed reinstalling.
>
> Now my Nvidia card is hardware decoding MPG/WMV as it should. It sure
> takes a load off the processor when playing back hdtv content.

Yeah, Belarc is a handy prog, even shows you most of your product keys

--
XPD^
http://www.xpd.co.nz/

Craig Sutton

"XPD" <spam@xpd> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Craig Sutton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:e82jvl$isr$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Belarc advisor!
>>
>> Tipped me off that a couple of MS patches needed reinstalling.
>>
>> Now my Nvidia card is hardware decoding MPG/WMV as it should. It sure
>> takes a load off the processor when playing back hdtv content.
>>

> Yeah, Belarc is a handy prog, even shows you most of your product keys

Yep I have to wonder though how many people actually have the fancy nvidia
cards and have them doing hardware decoding. As Mediaplayer 10 without
installing 2 patches doesn't do it. They don't show up either as Ms updates.

Alan

"Craig Sutton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e82jvl$isr$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Belarc advisor!
>
> Tipped me off that a couple of MS patches needed reinstalling.
>
> Now my Nvidia card is hardware decoding MPG/WMV as it should. It
> sure takes a load off the processor when playing back hdtv content.

Just out of interest, had you run MBSA and did that identify the
missing patches or did it miss them where Belarc found them?

I have always assumed that if MS Update doesn't find them, nor will
MBSA, but your post made me wonder.

Thanks,

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Craig Sutton

"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:e89rvc$b08$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Craig Sutton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:e82jvl$isr$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Belarc advisor!
>>
>> Tipped me off that a couple of MS patches needed reinstalling.
>>
>> Now my Nvidia card is hardware decoding MPG/WMV as it should. It sure
>> takes a load off the processor when playing back hdtv content.
>>

> Just out of interest, had you run MBSA and did that identify the missing
> patches or did it miss them where Belarc found them?

Have not tried MBSA.

SchoolTech

Craig Sutton wrote:
> Belarc advisor!
>
> Tipped me off that a couple of MS patches needed reinstalling.
>
> Now my Nvidia card is hardware decoding MPG/WMV as it should. It sure takes
> a load off the processor when playing back hdtv content.

MSBA is much better than Belarc and doesn't pop up advertising.

Alan

"SchoolTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44a9942a$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Craig Sutton wrote:
>> Belarc advisor!
>>
>> Tipped me off that a couple of MS patches needed reinstalling.
>>
>> Now my Nvidia card is hardware decoding MPG/WMV as it should. It
>> sure takes a load off the processor when playing back hdtv content.
>>

> MSBA is much better than Belarc and doesn't pop up advertising.

Why do you say that MBSA is better?

I do use MBSA (mainly because it is free and it seems sensible to use
tool to check for OS updates that was written by the company that
wrote the OS), but could Belarc do a better job of checking for
missing updates?

Obviously Belarc does other things, such as giving system info etc,
but I am just trying to compare the patch management / checking side
of things.

Thanks,

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

(E-Mail Removed)

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Dave Doe

In article <44a9942a$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Craig Sutton wrote:
> > Belarc advisor!
> >
> > Tipped me off that a couple of MS patches needed reinstalling.
> >
> > Now my Nvidia card is hardware decoding MPG/WMV as it should. It sure takes
> > a load off the processor when playing back hdtv content.
> >

> MSBA is much better than Belarc and doesn't pop up advertising.

They are two quite different products, IMO.

--
Duncan