Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Average broadband speeds

Average broadband speeds

John

Does anyone know of a site where I can measure my broadband speed over
a long period of time to get an average speed?
Is there any research on the average speeds of various broadband
providers? It seems to me that this is more useful info than just a
one off measurement.
thanks
John
Not sure what to do with all those digital photos? Are they in danger
of being lost due to a computer crash or scratch on a CD/DVD?
Get 5Gb of free online storage (room for 3000+ photos) at <a
href="www.pictureofhealth.myphotomax.com">www.pictureofhealth.myphotomax.com
</a> [Click "Sign up now!"]
- Your photos will be backed up in granite vaults, guaranteed never to
be deleted.
- Free sharing of photos without clogging emails.
- No minimum level of activity required.
- 20 Free Prints [currently available in US only].

Craig Whitmore

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Does anyone know of a site where I can measure my broadband speed over
> a long period of time to get an average speed?
> Is there any research on the average speeds of various broadband
> providers? It seems to me that this is more useful info than just a
> one off measurement.
> thanks
> John

Set up an account on www.nzdsl.co.nz and it will keep a tally of your
speedtest results and average results.
My site has had LOTS of speedtests done and maybe 1 day I will compile
results. But Nationally.. speeds
between ISP's are all the same. Its usually different areas and
international speeds are different.

Thanks
Craig Whitmore
http://www.nzdsl.co.nz

Allistar

Craig Whitmore wrote:

> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Does anyone know of a site where I can measure my broadband speed over
>> a long period of time to get an average speed?
>> Is there any research on the average speeds of various broadband
>> providers? It seems to me that this is more useful info than just a
>> one off measurement.
>> thanks
>> John

> Set up an account on www.nzdsl.co.nz and it will keep a tally of your
> speedtest results and average results.
> My site has had LOTS of speedtests done and maybe 1 day I will compile
> results. But Nationally.. speeds
> between ISP's are all the same. Its usually different areas and
> international speeds are different.

I live at Mount Maunganui and my download speeds are excellent, they come in
pretty much consistently at 3300kbps, which is goof for a 3.6Mb plan.
Upload speeds still suck, but that's not a technical problem.

Allistar.

s.te.v.e.

John wrote:

> Does anyone know of a site where I can measure my broadband speed over
> a long period of time to get an average speed?
> Is there any research on the average speeds of various broadband
> providers? It seems to me that this is more useful info than just a
> one off measurement.
> thanks
> John
> __________________________________________________ ________________
> Not sure what to do with all those digital photos? Are they in danger
> of being lost due to a computer crash or scratch on a CD/DVD?
> Get 5Gb of free online storage (room for 3000+ photos) at <a

href="www.pictureofhealth.myphotomax.com">www.pictureofhealth.myphotomax.com
> </a> [Click "Sign up now!"]
> - Your photos will be backed up in granite vaults, guaranteed never to
> be deleted.
> - Free sharing of photos without clogging emails.
> - No minimum level of activity required.
> - 20 Free Prints [currently available in US only].

By Consumers Institute....

http://www.consumerspeedtest.org.nz/speedtest.php

Mine is 1688k down and 488k up

I can't get the 3.5mbps down becasue I'm too far from the exchange.....but
the 488k up is MUCH better than 128k.

Collector»NZ

s.te.v.e. wrote:
> John wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know of a site where I can measure my broadband speed over
>> a long period of time to get an average speed?
>> Is there any research on the average speeds of various broadband
>> providers? It seems to me that this is more useful info than just a
>> one off measurement.
>> thanks
>> John
>> __________________________________________________ ________________
>> Not sure what to do with all those digital photos? Are they in danger
>> of being lost due to a computer crash or scratch on a CD/DVD?
>> Get 5Gb of free online storage (room for 3000+ photos) at <a
>>

> href="www.pictureofhealth.myphotomax.com">www.pictureofhealth.myphotomax.com
>> </a> [Click "Sign up now!"]
>> - Your photos will be backed up in granite vaults, guaranteed never to
>> be deleted.
>> - Free sharing of photos without clogging emails.
>> - No minimum level of activity required.
>> - 20 Free Prints [currently available in US only].

> By Consumers Institute....
>
> http://www.consumerspeedtest.org.nz/speedtest.php
>
> Mine is 1688k down and 488k up
>
> I can't get the 3.5mbps down becasue I'm too far from the exchange.....but
> the 488k up is MUCH better than 128k.

Decided to give this a try using my system and my company notebook which is on
the same connection but runs over a VPN (Secure Client etc) most interesting to
see the VPN overhead hit the speed.

My system 1931/130 via the VPN on same connection 780/47 kbps

| Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |

Collector»NZ

John wrote:
> Does anyone know of a site where I can measure my broadband speed over
> a long period of time to get an average speed?
> Is there any research on the average speeds of various broadband
> providers? It seems to me that this is more useful info than just a
> one off measurement.
> thanks
> John
> __________________________________________________ ________________
> Not sure what to do with all those digital photos? Are they in danger
> of being lost due to a computer crash or scratch on a CD/DVD?
> Get 5Gb of free online storage (room for 3000+ photos) at <a
> href="www.pictureofhealth.myphotomax.com">www.pictureofhealth.myphotomax.com
> </a> [Click "Sign up now!"]
> - Your photos will be backed up in granite vaults, guaranteed never to
> be deleted.
> - Free sharing of photos without clogging emails.
> - No minimum level of activity required.
> - 20 Free Prints [currently available in US only].

I find this site very informative for testing your connection

http://myspeed.visualware.com/voip/

| Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |

Shank

Collector»NZ wrote:
> s.te.v.e. wrote:
>
>> John wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know of a site where I can measure my broadband speed over
>>> a long period of time to get an average speed?
>>> Is there any research on the average speeds of various broadband
>>> providers? It seems to me that this is more useful info than just a
>>> one off measurement.
>>> thanks
>>> John

>> By Consumers Institute....
>>
>> http://www.consumerspeedtest.org.nz/speedtest.php
>>
>> Mine is 1688k down and 488k up
>>
>> I can't get the 3.5mbps down becasue I'm too far from the
>> exchange.....but
>> the 488k up is MUCH better than 128k.
>>

> Decided to give this a try using my system and my company notebook which
> is on the same connection but runs over a VPN (Secure Client etc) most
> interesting to see the VPN overhead hit the speed.
>
> My system 1931/130 via the VPN on same connection 780/47 kbps

Hmmm. On my Telstraclear 2mb/2mb cable I get 1954/1414. Ran it 10
minutes later and got 1988/1796. At 1:10pm on a saturday, not bad.

Rob

jasen

On 2006-06-29, John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Does anyone know of a site where I can measure my broadband speed over
> a long period of time to get an average speed?
> Is there any research on the average speeds of various broadband
> providers? It seems to me that this is more useful info than just a
> one off measurement.

find a nearby server and download a large file

Bye.
Jasen

Robert Feigel

On 29 Jun 2006 16:37:11 -0700, "John" <(E-Mail Removed)>
magnanimously proffered:

>Does anyone know of a site where I can measure my broadband speed over
>a long period of time to get an average speed?
>Is there any research on the average speeds of various broadband
>providers? It seems to me that this is more useful info than just a
>one off measurement.
>thanks
>John

Here's another test site set up by the Consummer Institute:

http://www.consumerspeedtest.org.nz/speedtest.php