Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > 20" LCD Monitors.

Reply
Thread Tools

20" LCD Monitors.

 
 
zipdisk@clearxxxx.net.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-28-2006


Have a read


http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/06/27/xxl_displays_uk/


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
thingy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-29-2006
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> Have a read
>
>
> http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/06/27/xxl_displays_uk/
>
>


Nice but currently 100~120% on top of the cost of a 19inch monitor, hard
to justify....$1050 on a 20 inch monitor or $450 for a 19, with $600
left for a new graphics card..no contest really....

regards

Thing
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Chris Wilkinson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-29-2006
Hi there,

thingy wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>
>> Have a read
>>
>>
>> http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/06/27/xxl_displays_uk/
>>
>>

>
> Nice but currently 100~120% on top of the cost of a 19inch monitor, hard
> to justify....$1050 on a 20 inch monitor or $450 for a 19, with $600
> left for a new graphics card..no contest really....


Don't forget that according to Woger CRT's are complete junk (tm)

My 22" NEC Multisync is around AU$1500 new (although I only payed
AU$169 for my near new one!), but the closest LCD I could find to
that size and resolution (2048x1536) was around US$5000...

Woger never answered me on that. Who knows? Maybe he sells LCD's
for a living...he'll never convince me they're a better option
until they actually do become a better option...

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
Anyone wishing to email me directly can remove the obvious
spamblocker, and replace it with t p g <dot> c o m <dot> a u


 
Reply With Quote
 
GraB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-30-2006
On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 09:15:17 +1000, Chris Wilkinson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>thingy wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> Have a read
>>>
>>>
>>> http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/06/27/xxl_displays_uk/
>>>
>>>

>>
>> Nice but currently 100~120% on top of the cost of a 19inch monitor, hard
>> to justify....$1050 on a 20 inch monitor or $450 for a 19, with $600
>> left for a new graphics card..no contest really....

>
>Don't forget that according to Woger CRT's are complete junk (tm)


That thought did occur to me.

>My 22" NEC Multisync is around AU$1500 new (although I only payed
>AU$169 for my near new one!), but the closest LCD I could find to
>that size and resolution (2048x1536) was around US$5000...
>
>Woger never answered me on that. Who knows? Maybe he sells LCD's
>for a living...he'll never convince me they're a better option
>until they actually do become a better option...


A 22" CRT! Envious. But getting back to LCDs I don't know exactly
what they mean when they talk about 'sparkling' when watching DVDs.

Like you I won't be getting one until they are actually better. But I
wonder about the Dell 2407WFP widescreen as June's PC User mag gave it
a glowing review but users don't seem so convinced.
http://whirlpool.net.au/forum-replie...fm/512519.html

It seems you have to make sure you get a later revision.

http://simon.fearby.com/temp/ocau/reviews/2407_Test.jpg


 
Reply With Quote
 
GraB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-30-2006
On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 17:10:19 +1200, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 09:15:17 +1000, Chris Wilkinson
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi there,
>>
>>thingy wrote:
>>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>>
>>>>
>>>> Have a read
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/06/27/xxl_displays_uk/
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> Nice but currently 100~120% on top of the cost of a 19inch monitor, hard
>>> to justify....$1050 on a 20 inch monitor or $450 for a 19, with $600
>>> left for a new graphics card..no contest really....

>>
>>Don't forget that according to Woger CRT's are complete junk (tm)

>
>That thought did occur to me.
>
>>My 22" NEC Multisync is around AU$1500 new (although I only payed
>>AU$169 for my near new one!), but the closest LCD I could find to
>>that size and resolution (2048x1536) was around US$5000...
>>
>>Woger never answered me on that. Who knows? Maybe he sells LCD's
>>for a living...he'll never convince me they're a better option
>>until they actually do become a better option...

>
>A 22" CRT! Envious. But getting back to LCDs I don't know exactly
>what they mean when they talk about 'sparkling' when watching DVDs.
>
>Like you I won't be getting one until they are actually better. But I
>wonder about the Dell 2407WFP widescreen as June's PC User mag gave it
>a glowing review but users don't seem so convinced.
>http://whirlpool.net.au/forum-replie...fm/512519.html
>
>It seems you have to make sure you get a later revision.
>
>http://simon.fearby.com/temp/ocau/reviews/2407_Test.jpg
>

A review of a later one:
http://www.overclockers.com.au/article.php?id=481694
 
Reply With Quote
 
gimp
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-30-2006
GraB wrote:
> Like you I won't be getting one until they are actually better. But I
> wonder about the Dell 2407WFP widescreen as June's PC User mag gave it
> a glowing review but users don't seem so convinced.



i have the dell 2007FP (20") at work and its sweet. at home i have the
2405FPW and it kicks serious arse. i would recommend dell, they all
have a 30 day moneyback guarantee if you don't like it.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert Cooze
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-30-2006
gimp wrote:
> GraB wrote:
> > Like you I won't be getting one until they are actually better. But I
>> wonder about the Dell 2407WFP widescreen as June's PC User mag gave it
>> a glowing review but users don't seem so convinced.

>
>
> i have the dell 2007FP (20") at work and its sweet. at home i have the
> 2405FPW and it kicks serious arse. i would recommend dell, they all
> have a 30 day moneyback guarantee if you don't like it.
>
>

LOL normally I would not buy dell but in the arena of LCD they seem to
know what they are doing. They have been compared with the apple
cinimorph (forgive the spelling).

Now looking at the products in the stores I have seen the same LCD look
wonderful and crap this was a 17" one I guess a lots depends on what
it is connected to and how well set up it is. On a interesting note I
saw a 17" wide screen for around 400~500 $$$ that out preformed a near
$1000 name brand screen... I am holding my breath as I am on my last
good screen (CRT 15") the 17" and 19" bit the dust.

--
http://cooze.co.nz home of the RecyclerMan aka Robert Cooze

/ __/ / / / / /__ / / ___/ / __/ / / / |/ / /__ /
/ / / /_/ / / /_/ / _-' / __/ / / / /_/ / / /| / _-'
___\ ____/ ____/ /___/ /____/ /_/ ___\ ____/ /_/ /_/ |_/ /___/
 
Reply With Quote
 
zipdisk@clearxxxx.net.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-01-2006
On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 20:56:48 +1000, Chris Wilkinson <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>GraB wrote:
>> On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 09:15:17 +1000, Chris Wilkinson
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi there,
>>>
>>>thingy wrote:
>>>
>>>>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>Have a read
>>>>>
>>>>>http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/06/27/xxl_displays_uk/
>>>>

>
>
>I saw that same Dell on a Dell stand at a local Brisbane mall
>a short while back. Nice looking kit really, but I wasn't that
>impressed with movie playback...it was just too slow...




Please define to slow...??


 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris Wilkinson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-02-2006
Hi there,

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 20:56:48 +1000, Chris Wilkinson <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>
>>Hi there,
>>
>>GraB wrote:
>>
>>>On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 09:15:17 +1000, Chris Wilkinson
>>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>Hi there,
>>>>
>>>>thingy wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>>Have a read
>>>>>>
>>>>>>http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/06/27/xxl_displays_uk/
>>>>>

>>
>>I saw that same Dell on a Dell stand at a local Brisbane mall
>>a short while back. Nice looking kit really, but I wasn't that
>>impressed with movie playback...it was just too slow...

>
> Please define to slow...??


Response time. Rapid movements in video showed evident ghosting
and blurry appearance.

Not something I experience with even budget CRT monitors...

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
Anyone wishing to email me directly can remove the obvious
spamblocker, and replace it with t p g <dot> c o m <dot> a u


 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris Wilkinson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-02-2006
Hi there,

MarkH wrote:
> Chris Wilkinson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:44a45ea3$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>
>>My 22" NEC Multisync is around AU$1500 new (although I only payed
>>AU$169 for my near new one!), but the closest LCD I could find to
>>that size and resolution (2048x1536) was around US$5000...

>
>
> For NZ$3000 you can get a 30" LCD with 2560x1600(widescreen), what LCD
> costs US$5000?


Is that the Dell 3007WFP? Does 11ms (or 14ms?) response time cut it?
My eyes say they're getting better, but CRT still wins...

I found this site tonite that has some interesting prices...

http://www.streetprices.com/Electron.../Monitors/LCD/

That has a range of sizes to see. Prices start pretty low, but most of
the cheapies don't do the resolutions I'd demand of their panel size.
Try find a 21" that does 2048x1536 without spending upwards of US$4400.

As much as I like the small footprint, style, and ease of carriage of
these LCD panels I would like the resolution and quality to improve
and become significantly cheaper before I'd consider getting one.

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
Anyone wishing to email me directly can remove the obvious
spamblocker, and replace it with t p g <dot> c o m <dot> a u


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Samsung 910MP LCD TV Monitor Review at XYZ Computing Silverstrand Front Page News 1 07-02-2005 06:04 PM
Canon powershot S1 LCD Vs Kodak DX6490 LCD?? Jason Digital Photography 3 06-07-2004 07:38 PM
Plastic cover for 2.5 inch LCD [like the cover comes to protect LCD of some DSLR] zxcvar Digital Photography 0 12-28-2003 03:52 PM
LCD monitor with TV Tuner or LCD TV with PC input? John Computer Information 0 12-18-2003 10:32 PM



Advertisments