Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Word processing File Formats 2007

Word processing File Formats 2007

peterwn

We have all had some stability in word processing formats during the
last decade. When Office 97 came out the .doc format was changed and
users of Office 95 or Word 6 had to download 'plug-in's' to open
documents ifrom Office 97. I cannot remember if one could savre back
in the new format.

You could not originally save a word file in the old format from Office
97, that is until public pressure forced Microsoft to issue a further
plug-in with that feature.

Now the office suite with Vista uses a completely different format
called XML, the main advantage being you can embed music, videos, etc
in your word processing documents (ie creating a comfortable
environment for viruses, worms, spyware, etc).

Will Vista Office enable its users to save word processing files in
..doc for those still on older word processor, or will everyone be
obliged to download adaptors for older Office versions which will
probably come with draconian EULA's and 'contact mothership' spyware?
In any case would would be the earliest Office version that they would
be available for?

Allistar

peterwn wrote:

> We have all had some stability in word processing formats during the
> last decade. When Office 97 came out the .doc format was changed and
> users of Office 95 or Word 6 had to download 'plug-in's' to open
> documents ifrom Office 97. I cannot remember if one could savre back
> in the new format.
>
> You could not originally save a word file in the old format from Office
> 97, that is until public pressure forced Microsoft to issue a further
> plug-in with that feature.
>
> Now the office suite with Vista uses a completely different format
> called XML, the main advantage being you can embed music, videos, etc
> in your word processing documents (ie creating a comfortable
> environment for viruses, worms, spyware, etc).
>
> Will Vista Office enable its users to save word processing files in
> .doc for those still on older word processor, or will everyone be
> obliged to download adaptors for older Office versions which will
> probably come with draconian EULA's and 'contact mothership' spyware?
> In any case would would be the earliest Office version that they would
> be available for?

I'm not trolling, but my honest recommendation is to use OpenOffice.

Allistar.

peterwn

Fully agree - I understand that it can handle XML.

This is the path I would be following, and if I can read run of the
mill XML files, that will do me.

Allistar wrote:
> peterwn wrote:
>
> > We have all had some stability in word processing formats during the
> > last decade. When Office 97 came out the .doc format was changed and
> > users of Office 95 or Word 6 had to download 'plug-in's' to open
> > documents ifrom Office 97. I cannot remember if one could savre back
> > in the new format.
> >
> > You could not originally save a word file in the old format from Office
> > 97, that is until public pressure forced Microsoft to issue a further
> > plug-in with that feature.
> >
> > Now the office suite with Vista uses a completely different format
> > called XML, the main advantage being you can embed music, videos, etc
> > in your word processing documents (ie creating a comfortable
> > environment for viruses, worms, spyware, etc).
> >
> > Will Vista Office enable its users to save word processing files in
> > .doc for those still on older word processor, or will everyone be
> > obliged to download adaptors for older Office versions which will
> > probably come with draconian EULA's and 'contact mothership' spyware?
> > In any case would would be the earliest Office version that they would
> > be available for?

> I'm not trolling, but my honest recommendation is to use OpenOffice.
>
> Allistar.

Steven H

Hello peterwn,

> When Office 97 came out the .doc format was changed and
> users of Office 95 or Word 6 had to download 'plug-in's' to open
> documents ifrom Office 97.

yes one of the greatest f*kups in file format history - who would have knowen
that it would **** lots of people off changing the binary format but not
the extension.

i suppose lesson learned now why we have docx.

> Now the office suite with Vista

office 2007 doesnt have much to do with vista, im running 2007 beta 2 on XP

> the main advantage being you can embed music, videos, etc
> in your word processing documents

huh???

the 'main advantage' is the fact that anybody can write some software that
does stuff with the new Open XML File Formats.

in fact the files themselvs are zip files, open a docx in winzip and you
will see the structure

> (ie creating a comfortable
> environment for viruses, worms, spyware, etc).

now i am struggling to fathom if you are serious or not.

how can OXML provide a comfortable enviroment for viruses, worms or spyware ?

the fact that OXML is a ECMA standard (ie has absolutely NOTHING to do with
Microsoft - there just on the board, other people make the decisions as to
what goes into OXML). means that anybody can open it up, and make sence of
what the xml fragments are intended to represent.

> Will Vista Office enable its users to save word processing files in
> .doc

Office 2007 (again with the vista thing), does open / save in 97-2003 comptable
formats - in fact it will save to PDF (even the ISO standard PDF).

as for 'yes it *says* it saves in them formats but does it *reallly* save
in them formats' yes it does - i have used them particular features extensively
and had no problems whatsoever.

> or will everyone be
> obliged to download adaptors for older Office versions

no, it just works.

> which will
> probably come with draconian EULA's

you mean like the GPL

----------------
Steven H

the madGeek

shannon

Steven H wrote:
> Hello peterwn,
>
>> When Office 97 came out the .doc format was changed and
>> users of Office 95 or Word 6 had to download 'plug-in's' to open
>> documents ifrom Office 97.

> yes one of the greatest f*kups in file format history - who would have
> knowen that it would **** lots of people off changing the binary format
> but not the extension.
>
> i suppose lesson learned now why we have docx.
>
>> Now the office suite with Vista

> office 2007 doesnt have much to do with vista, im running 2007 beta 2 on XP
>
>> the main advantage being you can embed music, videos, etc
>> in your word processing documents

> huh???
>
> the 'main advantage' is the fact that anybody can write some software
> that does stuff with the new Open XML File Formats.
>
> in fact the files themselvs are zip files, open a docx in winzip and you
> will see the structure
>
>> (ie creating a comfortable
>> environment for viruses, worms, spyware, etc).

> now i am struggling to fathom if you are serious or not.
>
> how can OXML provide a comfortable enviroment for viruses, worms or
> spyware ?
>
> the fact that OXML is a ECMA standard (ie has absolutely NOTHING to do
> with Microsoft - there just on the board, other people make the
> decisions as to what goes into OXML). means that anybody can open it up,
> and make sence of what the xml fragments are intended to represent.
>
>> Will Vista Office enable its users to save word processing files in
>> .doc

> Office 2007 (again with the vista thing), does open / save in 97-2003
> comptable formats - in fact it will save to PDF (even the ISO standard
> PDF).
>
> as for 'yes it *says* it saves in them formats but does it *reallly*
> save in them formats' yes it does - i have used them particular features
> extensively and had no problems whatsoever.
>
>> or will everyone be
>> obliged to download adaptors for older Office versions

> no, it just works.
>
>> which will
>> probably come with draconian EULA's

> you mean like the GPL
>
> ----------------
> Steven H
>
> the madGeek

The GPL is just a copyright agreement
It doesn't restrict the number of PCs or the number of CPUs, the number
of device connections, or impose limits on reverse engineering,
decompilation and disassembly.

On the other hand ....

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/eula.mspx

1.1 Installation and use. You may install, use, access, display and run
one copy of the Software on a single computer, such as a workstation,
terminal or other device ("Workstation Computer"). The Software may not
be used by more than one processor at any one time on any single
Workstation Computer.

1.2 Mandatory Activation. The license rights granted under this EULA are
limited to the first thirty (30) days after you first install the
Software unless you supply information required to activate your
licensed copy in the manner described during the setup sequence of the
Software. You can activate the Software through the use of the Internet
or telephone; toll charges may apply. You may also need to reactivate
the Software if you modify your computer hardware or alter the Software.
There are technological measures in this Software that are designed to
prevent unlicensed use of the Software. Microsoft will use those
measures to confirm you have a legally licensed copy of the Software. If
you are not using a licensed copy of the Software, you are not allowed
to install the Software or future Software updates. Microsoft will not
collect any personally identifiable information from your Workstation
Computer during this process.

1.3 Device Connections. You may permit a maximum of five (5) computers
or other electronic devices (each a "Device") to connect to the
Workstation Computer to utilize one or more of the following services of
the Software: File Services, Print Services, Internet Information
Services, and remote access (including connection sharing and telephony
services). The five connection maximum includes any indirect connections
made through "multiplexing" or other software or hardware which pools or
aggregates connections. This five connection maximum does not apply to
any other uses of the Software.

5. NO RENTAL/COMMERCIAL HOSTING. You may not rent, lease, lend or
provide commercial hosting services with the Software.

6. CONSENT TO USE OF DATA. You agree that Microsoft and its affiliates
may collect and use technical information gathered as part of the
product support services provided to you, if any, related to the
Software. Microsoft may use this information solely to improve our
products or to provide customized services or technologies to you and
will not disclose this information in a form that personally identifies you.

etc etc etc

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/eula.mspx