Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Where to get motherboard 1394 cable? (FIC P4-865PE motherboard)

Where to get motherboard 1394 cable? (FIC P4-865PE motherboard)

sub

I'm scratching me head over this one, and not really sure what to do.

I've got machine with a FIC P4-865PE motherboard, which I've been using for
a couple of years. I've now got need to use the 1394 (firewire) ports on
this motherboard, but I cant find the original 1394 cable that came with it
for connecting to the motherboard header pins. Where could I get a
replacement for something like this?

Unfortunatly I cant add PCI firewire card to this PC since its a home
theatre PC that only has one PCI slot (already in use).

Any ideas?

thingy

sub wrote:
> I'm scratching me head over this one, and not really sure what to do.
>
> I've got machine with a FIC P4-865PE motherboard, which I've been using for
> a couple of years. I've now got need to use the 1394 (firewire) ports on
> this motherboard, but I cant find the original 1394 cable that came with it
> for connecting to the motherboard header pins. Where could I get a
> replacement for something like this?
>
> Unfortunatly I cant add PCI firewire card to this PC since its a home
> theatre PC that only has one PCI slot (already in use).
>
> Any ideas?

depends on what is in the slot.....maybe a multi-function card....

trying to get a addon off a manufacturer is going to be impossible IMHO.

Maybe goign to DSE and looking at a generic backplate that has firewire
might work....

Or a 5.25inch bay unit with firewire....

regards

Thing

thingy

sub wrote:
> I'm scratching me head over this one, and not really sure what to do.
>
> I've got machine with a FIC P4-865PE motherboard, which I've been using for
> a couple of years. I've now got need to use the 1394 (firewire) ports on
> this motherboard, but I cant find the original 1394 cable that came with it
> for connecting to the motherboard header pins. Where could I get a
> replacement for something like this?
>
> Unfortunatly I cant add PCI firewire card to this PC since its a home
> theatre PC that only has one PCI slot (already in use).
>
> Any ideas?

multifunction card

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...ct/View/XH8272

sub

"thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> sub wrote:
>> I'm scratching me head over this one, and not really sure what to do.
>>
>> I've got machine with a FIC P4-865PE motherboard, which I've been using
>> for a couple of years. I've now got need to use the 1394 (firewire) ports
>> on this motherboard, but I cant find the original 1394 cable that came
>> with it for connecting to the motherboard header pins. Where could I get
>> a replacement for something like this?
>>
>> Unfortunatly I cant add PCI firewire card to this PC since its a home
>> theatre PC that only has one PCI slot (already in use).
>>
>> Any ideas?

> multifunction card
>
> http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...ct/View/XH8272

Unfortunately as I said above, this machine has only got one PCI slot and
its already in use (Hauppauge PVR500 dual tuner tv capture card).

SteveM

"sub" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:449b50f1$(E-Mail Removed):

> I'm scratching me head over this one, and not really sure what to do.
>
> I've got machine with a FIC P4-865PE motherboard, which I've been
> using for a couple of years. I've now got need to use the 1394
> (firewire) ports on this motherboard, but I cant find the original
> 1394 cable that came with it for connecting to the motherboard header
> pins. Where could I get a replacement for something like this?
>
> Unfortunatly I cant add PCI firewire card to this PC since its a home
> theatre PC that only has one PCI slot (already in use).
>
> Any ideas?

I may have several at work but cannot check until Monday.

Happy to send one down at no cost if I can find one.....

SteveM

Mercury

I'd look for the pinout for the mobo header and get a firewire plug from a
PC recycler and adapt the header. Does your case have a firewire interface?
If not you may have to leave the f/w socket dangling.

Try own of the alt.com.periphs.mainboard news groups to see if anyone there
knows the pinouts.

HTH & BOL with MCE.

"SteveM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns97EBCED70F5D8sdmccremovemeparadis@203.109. 252.31...
> "sub" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:449b50f1$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I'm scratching me head over this one, and not really sure what to do.
>>
>> I've got machine with a FIC P4-865PE motherboard, which I've been
>> using for a couple of years. I've now got need to use the 1394
>> (firewire) ports on this motherboard, but I cant find the original
>> 1394 cable that came with it for connecting to the motherboard header
>> pins. Where could I get a replacement for something like this?
>>
>> Unfortunatly I cant add PCI firewire card to this PC since its a home
>> theatre PC that only has one PCI slot (already in use).
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>

> I may have several at work but cannot check until Monday.
>
> Happy to send one down at no cost if I can find one.....

That would be awesome if possible. Let me know.

jasen

On 2006-06-23, sub <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm scratching me head over this one, and not really sure what to do.
>
> I've got machine with a FIC P4-865PE motherboard, which I've been using for
> a couple of years. I've now got need to use the 1394 (firewire) ports on
> this motherboard, but I cant find the original 1394 cable that came with it
> for connecting to the motherboard header pins. Where could I get a
> replacement for something like this?

if in Christchurch I can give you one for free (we have a bucket full at
work - may have a different pinout) pinout can be matched for $10 (it'd
mean me downloading the manuals for your board and the one mine belonged to
(Epia brand Via based mimi ITX) and comparing pinouts and adjusting) no
guarrantees I'll*ge it right.

comes as a pair bolted to a slot cover.

Bye.
Jasen

sub

"jasen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2006-06-23, sub <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I'm scratching me head over this one, and not really sure what to do.
>>
>> I've got machine with a FIC P4-865PE motherboard, which I've been using
>> for
>> a couple of years. I've now got need to use the 1394 (firewire) ports on
>> this motherboard, but I cant find the original 1394 cable that came with
>> it
>> for connecting to the motherboard header pins. Where could I get a
>> replacement for something like this?

> if in Christchurch I can give you one for free (we have a bucket full at
> work - may have a different pinout) pinout can be matched for $10 (it'd
> mean me downloading the manuals for your board and the one mine belonged
> (Epia brand Via based mimi ITX) and comparing pinouts and adjusting) no
> guarrantees I'll ge it right.
>
> comes as a pair bolted to a slot cover.

I just compared the pin outs from an online Epia M10000 manual to that from
my FIC P4-865PE manual. Conveniently they have the same pin out. I'm not in
Christchurch, but I'm happy to send you $20 if you could send one up to me
in Wellington.

If you can help me out, you can send me a message at hondo at paradise dot
net dot nz. Cheers.

SteveM

"sub" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:449def25$(E-Mail Removed):

> "jasen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 2006-06-23, sub <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> I'm scratching me head over this one, and not really sure what to
>>> do.
>>>
>>> I've got machine with a FIC P4-865PE motherboard, which I've been
>>> using for
>>> a couple of years. I've now got need to use the 1394 (firewire)
>>> ports on this motherboard, but I cant find the original 1394 cable
>>> that came with it
>>> for connecting to the motherboard header pins. Where could I get a
>>> replacement for something like this?

>> if in Christchurch I can give you one for free (we have a bucket full
>> at work - may have a different pinout) pinout can be matched for $10
>> (it'd mean me downloading the manuals for your board and the one mine
>> belonged to
>> (Epia brand Via based mimi ITX) and comparing pinouts and adjusting)
>> no guarrantees I'll ge it right.
>>
>> comes as a pair bolted to a slot cover.
>>

> I just compared the pin outs from an online Epia M10000 manual to that
> from my FIC P4-865PE manual. Conveniently they have the same pin out.
> I'm not in Christchurch, but I'm happy to send you $20 if you could
> send one up to me in Wellington.
>
> If you can help me out, you can send me a message at hondo at paradise
> dot net dot nz. Cheers.

Hey Sub,
I found one at work. It's a single port only though.

Happy to post to you at no cost and include a well overdue donation to
the GBPVR fund. (Bigted on GBPVR forums)

Remove the obvious from my email address to get me.

SteveM