Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Using a late model Casio 6mp camera on Linux problems

Using a late model Casio 6mp camera on Linux problems

E. Scrooge

Are there any Casio camera owners who have some good tips on getting Linux
to download pictures from their cameras using the USB connection?

And what Linux software do you find is best for editing digital camera
pictures with?

Thanks for any advice offered.

E. Scrooge

Allistar

*sling wrote:

> Are there any Casio camera owners who have some good tips on getting Linux
> to download pictures from their cameras using the USB connection?
>
> And what Linux software do you find is best for editing digital camera
> pictures with?
>
> Thanks for any advice offered.
>
> E. Scrooge

I don't have a Casio but have a Canon A620 (7.1Mp, takes awesome photos). I
use digiKam (which uses the gphoto2 system) to get photos off it. I then
use Gimp to edit the photos if needed.

gphoto2 does recognise some Casio cameras, namely the LV10, QV10, QV100,
QV10A, QV300, QV70, QV700 and QV770. You could also use the generic USB PTP
camera (assuming the Casio does PTP). Some cameras can also be mounted as a
drive.

Allistar.

zipdisk@clearxxxx.net.nz

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 20:54:34 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
(*sling)> wrote:

>Are there any Casio camera owners who have some good tips on getting Linux
>to download pictures from their cameras using the USB connection?
>
>And what Linux software do you find is best for editing digital camera
>pictures with?
>
>Thanks for any advice offered.
>
>E. Scrooge

Yes its called Windows XP..

Only Idiots use Lunix..

E. Scrooge

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 20:54:34 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
> (*sling)> wrote:
>
>>Are there any Casio camera owners who have some good tips on getting Linux
>>to download pictures from their cameras using the USB connection?
>>
>>And what Linux software do you find is best for editing digital camera
>>pictures with?
>>
>>Thanks for any advice offered.
>>
>>E. Scrooge
>>

> Yes its called Windows XP..
>
> Only Idiots use Lunix..

You like to keep proving that some XP users are idiots. You wanted to keep
using Windows 98 as well as XP LOL.

You're far better off playing around on your Gameboy, old chap.

E. Scrooge

E. Scrooge

"Allistar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> *sling wrote:
>
>> Are there any Casio camera owners who have some good tips on getting
>> Linux
>> to download pictures from their cameras using the USB connection?
>>
>> And what Linux software do you find is best for editing digital camera
>> pictures with?
>>
>> Thanks for any advice offered.
>>
>> E. Scrooge

> I don't have a Casio but have a Canon A620 (7.1Mp, takes awesome photos).
> use digiKam (which uses the gphoto2 system) to get photos off it. I then
> use Gimp to edit the photos if needed.
>
> gphoto2 does recognise some Casio cameras, namely the LV10, QV10, QV100,
> QV10A, QV300, QV70, QV700 and QV770. You could also use the generic USB
> PTP
> camera (assuming the Casio does PTP). Some cameras can also be mounted as
> drive.
>
> Allistar.

Thanks very much, Allistar. The person has Gimp that looks useful enough.
Gphoto was downloading when I left. Hopefully that will help get the
pictures downloaded. They have a Casio EX Z110 camera.

Cheers,
E. Scrooge

James West

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 20:54:34 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
> (*sling)> wrote:
>
>>Are there any Casio camera owners who have some good tips on getting Linux
>>to download pictures from their cameras using the USB connection?
>>
>>And what Linux software do you find is best for editing digital camera
>>pictures with?
>>
>>Thanks for any advice offered.
>>
>>E. Scrooge
>>

> Yes its called Windows XP..
>
> Only Idiots use Lunix..

I seem to remember the time you said only idiots use XP Roger

james

E. Scrooge

"James West" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e7dd3h$5li$(E-Mail Removed)...

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 20:54:34 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
>> (*sling)> wrote:
>>
>>>Are there any Casio camera owners who have some good tips on getting
>>>Linux
>>>to download pictures from their cameras using the USB connection?
>>>
>>>And what Linux software do you find is best for editing digital camera
>>>pictures with?
>>>
>>>Thanks for any advice offered.
>>>
>>>E. Scrooge
>>>

>> Yes its called Windows XP..
>>
>> Only Idiots use Lunix..

> I seem to remember the time you said only idiots use XP Roger
>
> james

That's dead right, and according to the expert his version of Windows 98 was
better than XP.
Not knowing how to use XP didn't help the poor fool much.
Couldn't expect much more from a game console addict though.

E. Scrooge

jasen

On 2006-06-21, E. Scrooge <scrooge@*shot.co.nz> wrote:
> Are there any Casio camera owners who have some good tips on getting Linux
> to download pictures from their cameras using the USB connection?

aptitude suggests "qvplay" for some casio cameras, most other cameras
behave like usb-disks
avoid kernel versions 2.6.x with x<13 as usb storage support was patchy in
those versions.

> And what Linux software do you find is best for editing digital camera
> pictures with?

"The GIMP" if you want interactive, "netpbm" or "image magick" for scripted.

Bye.
Jasen

E. Scrooge

"jasen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2006-06-21, E. Scrooge <scrooge@*shot.co.nz> wrote:
>> Are there any Casio camera owners who have some good tips on getting
>> Linux
>> to download pictures from their cameras using the USB connection?

> aptitude suggests "qvplay" for some casio cameras, most other cameras
> behave like usb-disks
> avoid kernel versions 2.6.x with x<13 as usb storage support was patchy in
> those versions.
>
>> And what Linux software do you find is best for editing digital camera
>> pictures with?

> "The GIMP" if you want interactive, "netpbm" or "image magick" for
> scripted.
>
> Bye.
> Jasen

Thanks, Jasen.
Turns out there wasn't much of a problem at all. The USB plug on the new
camera needed pushing in more. It didn't look like there was more than
about 1/8th inch depth in the camera while the plug is about 1/4 of an inch.
When felt some a bit of tight resistance I thought that was it and didn't
want to force it in case of damage.
At least alls well now. "Image magick" sounds good, I'll get the camera
owner to check it out along with "netpbm" thanks, Jasen. They have Gimp.

Cheers,
E. Scrooge

Larry Spitz

E. Scrooge wrote:
> Are there any Casio camera owners who have some good tips on getting Linux
> to download pictures from their cameras using the USB connection?
>
> And what Linux software do you find is best for editing digital camera
> pictures with?
>
> Thanks for any advice offered.
>
> E. Scrooge

My Casio Exilim EX-Z4U camera is about two years old. When I got it I
was using RedHat 9.0 and I wrote a Perl script to upload the pictures.
If you are interested, email me and I will send it to you.

However I converted my machine over to Fedora Core 3 a few months ago
and I found that FC3 automatically detects the camera and offers to
upload the pictures on its own. I decline this automatic upload because
my Perl script does some other things for me that I like.

Cheers,

Larry