Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > XTRA spamming

XTRA spamming

SchoolTech

Three of my Xtra accounts have suddenly received spam for the first
time. There seem to be two or three possible options:

* Someone hacked Xtra's user database
* There was a massive dictionary spam attack on Xtra's servers
* Some nasty %&^%$^%$& hacked into my computer and dredged all the email
addresses (I use Mozilla Thunderbird, which stores mail messages in
plain text format)

It seems likely the third option is what has happened since this
computer was hacked (I reinstalled Windows only a week ago) and not all
my Xtra accounts or aliases have been spammed.

I HATE SPAMMERS
SPAMMERS ARE LOW LIFE &^&*^&^*%*^%$&*&
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crash

SchoolTech wrote:
> Three of my Xtra accounts have suddenly received spam for the first
> time. There seem to be two or three possible options:
>
> * Someone hacked Xtra's user database
> * There was a massive dictionary spam attack on Xtra's servers
> * Some nasty %&^%$^%$& hacked into my computer and dredged all the email
> addresses (I use Mozilla Thunderbird, which stores mail messages in
> plain text format)
>
> It seems likely the third option is what has happened since this
> computer was hacked (I reinstalled Windows only a week ago) and not all
> my Xtra accounts or aliases have been spammed.

[snip]

* You used those Xtra addresses in various Usenet posts?

Crash.

SchoolTech

Crash wrote:
> SchoolTech wrote:
>> Three of my Xtra accounts have suddenly received spam for the first
>> time. There seem to be two or three possible options:
>>
>> * Someone hacked Xtra's user database
>> * There was a massive dictionary spam attack on Xtra's servers
>> * Some nasty %&^%$^%$& hacked into my computer and dredged all the
>> email addresses (I use Mozilla Thunderbird, which stores mail messages
>> in plain text format)
>>
>> It seems likely the third option is what has happened since this
>> computer was hacked (I reinstalled Windows only a week ago) and not
>> all my Xtra accounts or aliases have been spammed.

> [snip]
>
> * You used those Xtra addresses in various Usenet posts?
>
> Crash.

No.

Vista

"SchoolTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44986028$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Three of my Xtra accounts have suddenly received spam for the first time.
> There seem to be two or three possible options:
>
> * Someone hacked Xtra's user database
> * There was a massive dictionary spam attack on Xtra's servers
> * Some nasty %&^%$^%$& hacked into my computer and dredged all the email
> addresses (I use Mozilla Thunderbird, which stores mail messages in plain
> text format)
>
> It seems likely the third option is what has happened since this computer
> was hacked (I reinstalled Windows only a week ago) and not all my Xtra
> accounts or aliases have been spammed.
>
> I HATE SPAMMERS
> SPAMMERS ARE LOW LIFE &^&*^&^*%*^%$&*&
> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then why did your title the post xtra spamming? Very misleading title

SchoolTech

Vista wrote:
> "SchoolTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:44986028$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Three of my Xtra accounts have suddenly received spam for the first time.
>> There seem to be two or three possible options:
>>
>> * Someone hacked Xtra's user database
>> * There was a massive dictionary spam attack on Xtra's servers
>> * Some nasty %&^%$^%$& hacked into my computer and dredged all the email
>> addresses (I use Mozilla Thunderbird, which stores mail messages in plain
>> text format)
>>
>> It seems likely the third option is what has happened since this computer
>> was hacked (I reinstalled Windows only a week ago) and not all my Xtra
>> accounts or aliases have been spammed.
>>
>> I HATE SPAMMERS
>> SPAMMERS ARE LOW LIFE &^&*^&^*%*^%$&*&
>> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> Then why did your title the post xtra spamming? Very misleading title

It's not at all misleading
I only received spam on my Xtra accounts.
I have accounts with other ISPs, but of all the different accounts I
have only the Xtra ones had spam delivered to them.

Helenski Klark

SchoolTech wrote:
> Three of my Xtra accounts have suddenly received spam for the first
> time. There seem to be two or three possible options:
>
> * Someone hacked Xtra's user database
> * There was a massive dictionary spam attack on Xtra's servers
> * Some nasty %&^%$^%$& hacked into my computer and dredged all the email
> addresses (I use Mozilla Thunderbird, which stores mail messages in
> plain text format)
>
> It seems likely the third option is what has happened since this
> computer was hacked (I reinstalled Windows only a week ago) and not all
> my Xtra accounts or aliases have been spammed.
>
> I HATE SPAMMERS
> SPAMMERS ARE LOW LIFE &^&*^&^*%*^%$&*&
> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe like NNTP, they've taken the SPAM filtering away without letting
anyone know in an appropriate way After all... it is a
'complimentary' service too

Collector_NZ

SchoolTech wrote:
> Vista wrote:
>> "SchoolTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:44986028$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Three of my Xtra accounts have suddenly received spam for the first
>>> time. There seem to be two or three possible options:
>>>
>>> * Someone hacked Xtra's user database
>>> * There was a massive dictionary spam attack on Xtra's servers
>>> * Some nasty %&^%$^%$& hacked into my computer and dredged all the
>>> email addresses (I use Mozilla Thunderbird, which stores mail
>>> messages in plain text format)
>>>
>>> It seems likely the third option is what has happened since this
>>> computer was hacked (I reinstalled Windows only a week ago) and not
>>> all my Xtra accounts or aliases have been spammed.
>>>
>>> I HATE SPAMMERS
>>> SPAMMERS ARE LOW LIFE &^&*^&^*%*^%$&*&
>>> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>> Then why did your title the post xtra spamming? Very misleading title

> It's not at all misleading
> I only received spam on my Xtra accounts.
> I have accounts with other ISPs, but of all the different accounts I
> have only the Xtra ones had spam delivered to them.

Oh dear, each address is unique, so you cannot assume anything. Sure
somehow the xtra addresses got on a spam run, **** happens so get on
with life.
The minute you commit a email address to any place on the web then it is
probably it will be spammed.
Xtra are not spamming, they are only responsible for delivering mail, it
would be true to say xtra are spamming if the mail originated from them,
so yes you are misleading in your subject line unless the mail came from
them as opposed to just be delivered by them.

thingy

SchoolTech wrote:
> Three of my Xtra accounts have suddenly received spam for the first
> time. There seem to be two or three possible options:
>
> * Someone hacked Xtra's user database
> * There was a massive dictionary spam attack on Xtra's servers
> * Some nasty %&^%$^%$& hacked into my computer and dredged all the email
> addresses (I use Mozilla Thunderbird, which stores mail messages in
> plain text format)
>
> It seems likely the third option is what has happened since this
> computer was hacked (I reinstalled Windows only a week ago) and not all
> my Xtra accounts or aliases have been spammed.
>
> I HATE SPAMMERS
> SPAMMERS ARE LOW LIFE &^&*^&^*%*^%$&*&
> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4) xtra's anti-spam servers trashed themselves and they let spam through
while they recovered.
5) Xtra's mail queues got so long that there was a danger mail wouldnt
get through in 5 days, so they let it through....
6) Internal spam attack from xtra customers beating the externally
facing spamm catchers.

All sort of c*ck ups are possible....

regards

Thing

Peter Nield

"Helenski Klark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e7aoon$ln8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> SchoolTech wrote:
> Maybe like NNTP, they've taken the SPAM filtering away without letting
> anyone know in an appropriate way After all... it is a
> 'complimentary' service too

The usual problem with the "content scanning gateways" is that they most are
a bit naive in storing the e-mails in the queue in one folder.

That's ok for a few hundred files.

When you hit a thousand or so, it takes a server a bit of time to find the
next file. things slow down a fraction.

hit 10,000+ and the server will be verging on spending more time locating
the next file than actually processing it.

hit 1,000,000, you may as well format the partition. or wait a week for
your e-mail to get through.

This is one horrible side effect of the FAT and NTFS file systems - there's
nothing particulary elegant about the file system way of storing directory
entries. There's no index to make searches fast. Each directory is just a
list of files which needs to be searched from the start each time a file is
lokoed up.

(Hint to the Mail Marshal developers reading this - have a bunch of
sub-folders for storing queued messages. Store 100 files in each folder.
once you've hit a hundred files, move to the next folder. Have a limit of a
hundred objects per folder. if 100 folders of one hundred files each isn't
enough (10,000 messages), create a two-level directory structure -
10,000,000 messages. PRETTY PLEASE)

HelensKi KlarK

> This is one horrible side effect of the FAT and NTFS file systems - there's
> nothing particulary elegant about the file system way of storing directory
> entries. There's no index to make searches fast. Each directory is just a
> list of files which needs to be searched from the start each time a file is
> lokoed up.

Waz taking the mickey.

But I think you'll probably find that Xtra's mail servers could be unix
based systems rather than M$ anyway. Could be wrong tho.