Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Processor Speeds - How to compare?

Reply
Thread Tools

Processor Speeds - How to compare?

 
 
Alan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-20-2006

Hi All,

I am looking at a new laptop, and I don't really understand how to
compare the processor speeds.

For example, we bought one last year (about 10 months ago I think)
that has a P4 (2.6GHz) processor.

One of the ones I am looking at new today has Intel Core Duo T2400
(1.83GHz) processor.


On the face of it, the older machine is much faster. But does that
'Duo' thing mean I am getting two 1.83GHz processors = 3.66GHz so the
new one would be much faster?

This is probably wishful thinking, but is there some way of just
comparing the two so that, if the first one is deemed to run at '100'
(whatever that may mean), the second one would run at 130 being 30%
faster? Is there a website that dumbs it down to that kind of level
somewhere out there? I can find lots of review sites, but I would
really like to put two options side by side.

Thanks!

Alan.

--

The views expressed are my own, and not those of my employer or anyone
else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

This is valid as is. It is not munged, or altered at all.

It will be valid for AT LEAST one month from the date of this post.

If you are trying to contact me after that time,
it MAY still be valid, but may also have been
deactivated due to spam. If so, and you want
to contact me by email, try searching for a
more recent post by me to find my current
email address.

The following is a (probably!) totally unique
and meaningless string of characters that you
can use to find posts by me in a search engine:

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb






 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
thingy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-20-2006
Alan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am looking at a new laptop, and I don't really understand how to
> compare the processor speeds.
>
> For example, we bought one last year (about 10 months ago I think)
> that has a P4 (2.6GHz) processor.
>
> One of the ones I am looking at new today has Intel Core Duo T2400
> (1.83GHz) processor.
>
>
> On the face of it, the older machine is much faster. But does that
> 'Duo' thing mean I am getting two 1.83GHz processors = 3.66GHz so the
> new one would be much faster?


Yes and no. Intel marketing at its finest. The key (according to intel)
is a cpu should not break the 130watts heat output barrier plus the die
size. As the clock speed climbs heat output is a hugh issue...so to get
round that they are looking for different ways to give the cpu grunt and
since the die size is now so small they can offer 2 and even 4 cores in
the CPU. In order to not break the heat limit they wind the clock speed
back slightly and as the heat output is a square (or cube) of the clock
speed you save heaps of heat, hence 2 cores is easy...

> This is probably wishful thinking, but is there some way of just
> comparing the two so that, if the first one is deemed to run at '100'
> (whatever that may mean), the second one would run at 130 being 30%
> faster? Is there a website that dumbs it down to that kind of level
> somewhere out there? I can find lots of review sites, but I would
> really like to put two options side by side.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Alan.
>


Unless you really want the ultimate in grunt (in which case look at a
gaming laptop) look at the laptops features and not its CPU, a big
screen is a key one for me, as is light weight and battery life (in that
order).

Is the old laptop you have fast enough? if so why worry...the biggest
limiter is hard drive speed and ram. Look for the biggest fastest
spinning hd and work from there IMHO. Pick a laptop that can hold 2 gig
of ram, get the biggest screen you can afford...makes life so much easier.

regards

Thing


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Waylon Kenning
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-20-2006
T'was the Wed, 21 Jun 2006 07:00:44 +1200 when I remembered thingy
<(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:

>Yes and no. Intel marketing at its finest.


Bare in mind AMD's Athlon XP marketing names, 2400XP always reminds me
of 2.4GHz, but it's not quite true.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Daniel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-20-2006
Alan wrote:
>
> I am looking at a new laptop....
>


If you can wait a couple of weeks, then I'd suggest you do so.

Intel's Conroe is to be released next month.

AMD has been dropping prices on select CPUs recently (e.g. Athlon64
3500+ has basically dropped 40%-50% in the last few weeks), and AMD are
expected to make a couple of official announcemnents at about the same
time Conroe is unveiled (my guess is yet another price drop, and
reverse-hyperthreading on their AM2 CPUs). You know you have to do
something when the competitors mid-range offering obliterates your
top-end product.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Daniel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-20-2006
Daniel wrote:
> Alan wrote:
>>
>> I am looking at a new laptop....
>>

>
> If you can wait a couple of weeks, then I'd suggest you do so.
>


Actually, make that a month. Looks like late(ish) July may be the launch
date.
 
Reply With Quote
 
PeeCee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-21-2006

"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:e77s1s$rfb$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Hi All,
>
> I am looking at a new laptop, and I don't really understand how to
> compare the processor speeds.
>
> For example, we bought one last year (about 10 months ago I think)
> that has a P4 (2.6GHz) processor.
>
> One of the ones I am looking at new today has Intel Core Duo T2400
> (1.83GHz) processor.
>
>
> On the face of it, the older machine is much faster. But does that
> 'Duo' thing mean I am getting two 1.83GHz processors = 3.66GHz so the
> new one would be much faster?
>
> This is probably wishful thinking, but is there some way of just
> comparing the two so that, if the first one is deemed to run at '100'
> (whatever that may mean), the second one would run at 130 being 30%
> faster? Is there a website that dumbs it down to that kind of level
> somewhere out there? I can find lots of review sites, but I would
> really like to put two options side by side.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Alan.
>

snip

Alan

Toms hardware has this excellent page where you can compare CPU's with
various benchmarks.
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.ht...=51&model2=212

Cheers
Paul.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Alan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-21-2006

"thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Unless you really want the ultimate in grunt (in which case look at
> a gaming laptop) look at the laptops features and not its CPU, a big
> screen is a key one for me, as is light weight and battery life (in
> that order).
>
> Is the old laptop you have fast enough? if so why worry...the
> biggest limiter is hard drive speed and ram. Look for the biggest
> fastest spinning hd and work from there IMHO. Pick a laptop that can
> hold 2 gig of ram, get the biggest screen you can afford...makes
> life so much easier.
>


Hi Thing,

Thanks for replying.

The old laptop that this new one is replacing is actually much older
(four years old now) the batteries are dead, the CPU is a PII 550MHz.
The one I was comparing it to, just hapenned to be the last one we
purchased.

I am thinking of this for the required specs (I want it to last at
least three years - too much hassle changing PCs!):

Criteria Requirement
Processor (Type) ???
Processor (MHz) ???
PXE? TRUE
DEP Compliant TRUE
L1 Cache (KB) 32
L2 Cache (KB) 1024
FSB (MHz) 800
RAM (MB) 512 (Upgradeable to 2Mb)
HDDs (GB) 160
HDDs (RPM) 7200
HDDs (Type) SATA - Not sure about this?
DVD / CD CD-RW / DVD-RW / Dual Layer
FDD? TRUE
USB Ports 6
Mouse PS2 & USB
KeyB PS2 & USB
Serial Port? TRUE
NetCards Gigabit NIC / Wireless LAN (A, B, G, Pre-N)
Other HW 14" XGA Anti-Glare screen / Bluetooth / 6 Cell Battery
/ Multi-card Reader
OS Version WinXP Pro SP2
OS License WinXP Pro 1-2 CPU OEM
Notes 3 year limited warranty



Is there anything important that I am missing?

Thanks,

Alan.


--

The views expressed are my own, and not those of my employer or anyone
else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

(E-Mail Removed)

This is valid as is. It is not munged, or altered at all.

It will be valid for AT LEAST one month from the date of this post.

If you are trying to contact me after that time,
it MAY still be valid, but may also have been
deactivated due to spam. If so, and you want
to contact me by email, try searching for a
more recent post by me to find my current
email address.

The following is a (probably!) totally unique
and meaningless string of characters that you
can use to find posts by me in a search engine:

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb




 
Reply With Quote
 
Alan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-21-2006


"Daniel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e79roo$jua$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Daniel wrote:
>> Alan wrote:
>>>
>>> I am looking at a new laptop....
>>>

>>
>> If you can wait a couple of weeks, then I'd suggest you do so.
>>

>
> Actually, make that a month. Looks like late(ish) July may be the
> launch date.


Hi Daniel,

Thanks for replying.

I could wait a few weeks - the timing is not that critical.

I posted my current thinking on specs in reply to Thing's post. How
would the new Conroe stack up in that context in terms of making a
difference compared to the Duo 1.83Ghz?

Thanks,

Alan.
--

The views expressed are my own, and not those of my employer or anyone
else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

(E-Mail Removed)

This is valid as is. It is not munged, or altered at all.

It will be valid for AT LEAST one month from the date of this post.

If you are trying to contact me after that time,
it MAY still be valid, but may also have been
deactivated due to spam. If so, and you want
to contact me by email, try searching for a
more recent post by me to find my current
email address.

The following is a (probably!) totally unique
and meaningless string of characters that you
can use to find posts by me in a search engine:

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb


 
Reply With Quote
 
Alan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-21-2006
"PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e7a3a4$t8b$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:e77s1s$rfb$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am looking at a new laptop, and I don't really understand how to
>> compare the processor speeds.
>>
>> For example, we bought one last year (about 10 months ago I think)
>> that has a P4 (2.6GHz) processor.
>>
>> One of the ones I am looking at new today has Intel Core Duo T2400
>> (1.83GHz) processor.
>>
>>
>> On the face of it, the older machine is much faster. But does that
>> 'Duo' thing mean I am getting two 1.83GHz processors = 3.66GHz so
>> the
>> new one would be much faster?
>>
>> This is probably wishful thinking, but is there some way of just
>> comparing the two so that, if the first one is deemed to run at
>> '100'
>> (whatever that may mean), the second one would run at 130 being 30%
>> faster? Is there a website that dumbs it down to that kind of
>> level
>> somewhere out there? I can find lots of review sites, but I would
>> really like to put two options side by side.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Alan.
>>

> snip
>
> Alan
>
> Toms hardware has this excellent page where you can compare CPU's
> with various benchmarks.
> http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.ht...=51&model2=212
>
> Cheers
> Paul.
>


Thanks Paul - I will have a look at that.

Alan.
--

The views expressed are my own, and not those of my employer or anyone
else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

(E-Mail Removed)

This is valid as is. It is not munged, or altered at all.

It will be valid for AT LEAST one month from the date of this post.

If you are trying to contact me after that time,
it MAY still be valid, but may also have been
deactivated due to spam. If so, and you want
to contact me by email, try searching for a
more recent post by me to find my current
email address.

The following is a (probably!) totally unique
and meaningless string of characters that you
can use to find posts by me in a search engine:

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb





 
Reply With Quote
 
Daniel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-21-2006
Alan wrote:
>
> I posted my current thinking on specs in reply to Thing's post. How
> would the new Conroe stack up in that context in terms of making a
> difference compared to the Duo 1.83Ghz?
>


Google "intel core 2 duo benchmark" and then start reading

Intel have been very open about the Conroe (unlike previous marketing
spins with their doomed Netburst cores).

Basically, Conroe is fast - real fast (and very power friendly).

Waiting for Conroe to arrive is a smart move primarily for the sake of
the ripple effect (or should that be tsunami effect) it will have on
existing CPU pricing, and subsequent OEM products that include them.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: How include a large array? Edward A. Falk C Programming 1 04-04-2013 08:07 PM
Internet Sharing: Equal upload speeds but un-equal download speeds =?Utf-8?B?TkpU?= Wireless Networking 3 09-15-2007 06:22 AM
AMD 64 X2 Processor: Any what to tell what program/process is assigned to processor? The Frozen Canuck Windows 64bit 1 01-16-2006 07:45 PM
Processor fried, should I upgrade or just buy a processor? Dim Computer Support 6 06-21-2004 08:11 PM
Core speeds and memory speeds??? Xeno Chauvin Computer Support 1 10-03-2003 03:21 AM



Advertisments