Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > FTA Digital TV

FTA Digital TV

Craig Sutton

"Peter Nield" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e78kqv$edr$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Steven Ellis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>>

>> > So if I have a DVB-T receiver I can tune into it right now?

>> YES if
>>
>> 1. If you get your signal from Waitairua
>>
>> 2. If your signal is strong enough
>>

> Oh please, please please - where can one get a DVB-T receiver in NZ? or do
> you "order in"?

I wouldnt be buying any DVB-T receiver until Freeview specs are decided
upon. Last I heard they hadn't even decided upon if it would be mpg2 or
mpg4.

Richard

Craig Sutton wrote:

> I wouldnt be buying any DVB-T receiver until Freeview specs are decided
> upon. Last I heard they hadn't even decided upon if it would be mpg2 or
> mpg4.

Surely a USB or cardbus one on a PC wouldnt care, so long as you have the
appropriate codec available to windows tho?

Can mpeg4 handle interlaced video ok? Everytime I have tried to re-encode
without deinterlace it looked like arse. Kept many dvd rips as mpeg2 because of
that.

Steven Ellis

Richard wrote:
> Craig Sutton wrote:
>
> > I wouldnt be buying any DVB-T receiver until Freeview specs are decided
> > upon. Last I heard they hadn't even decided upon if it would be mpg2 or
> > mpg4.

> Surely a USB or cardbus one on a PC wouldnt care, so long as you have the
> appropriate codec available to windows tho?
>
> Can mpeg4 handle interlaced video ok? Everytime I have tried to re-encode
> without deinterlace it looked like arse. Kept many dvd rips as mpeg2 because of
> that.

With the right profile you can produce interlaced MPEG4. If you
recompress / transcode captured videos under MythTV it keeps them as
interlaced MPEG4.

Steve

Steven Ellis

shannon wrote:
> Peter Nield wrote:
> > "Steven Ellis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> >> YES if
> >>
> >> 1. If you get your signal from Waitairua
> >>
> >> 2. If your signal is strong enough
> >>

> > Oh please, please please - where can one get a DVB-T receiver in NZ? or do
> > you "order in"?
> >

> http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpeci...?ItemID=346221

Fine if you want a PC unit, but this price is seriously too high.
Should be more around NZ$150.

I wouldn't buy any set top boxes until the decide what setup they are
going to use. Based on their estimated prices it will probably be MPEG2
as the MPEG4 units are a lot more expensive.

At the moment it is all a bit moot for DVB-T as they are playing around
with the trasmission. It has been rock solid for 6 months, but started
to play up on Monday night.

FYI for those of you interested in MPEG4 - Just been testing some
patches for the openmedia.co.nz myPVR unit that will play the new BBC
HDTV MPEG4 streams. These are full 1080i and look pretty damn amazing.

Steve

Craig Sutton

"Steven Ellis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> shannon wrote:
>> Peter Nield wrote:
>> > "Steven Ellis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

>> > Oh please, please please - where can one get a DVB-T receiver in NZ? or
>> > do
>> > you "order in"?
>> >

>> http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpeci...?ItemID=346221

> Fine if you want a PC unit, but this price is seriously too high.
> Should be more around NZ$150.
>
> I wouldn't buy any set top boxes until the decide what setup they are
> going to use. Based on their estimated prices it will probably be MPEG2
> as the MPEG4 units are a lot more expensive.

They have stated the Freeview Sat service will start in 2007 and the DVB-T
will come "12-18 months later" so its a long way away yet.

Steven Ellis

Craig Sutton wrote:
> "Steven Ellis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >
> > shannon wrote:

> >> http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpeci...?ItemID=346221

> > Fine if you want a PC unit, but this price is seriously too high.
> > Should be more around NZ$150.
> >
> > I wouldn't buy any set top boxes until the decide what setup they are
> > going to use. Based on their estimated prices it will probably be MPEG2
> > as the MPEG4 units are a lot more expensive.
> >

> They have stated the Freeview Sat service will start in 2007 and the DVB-T
> will come "12-18 months later" so its a long way away yet.

Full roll out of DVB-T will take 12-18 months. The service is likely to
start on some of the major transmitters at the same time as the
Satellite.

In Auckland one multiplex is already up and running, and I expect to
see another one within a couple of months.

Steve

Richard

Steven Ellis wrote:

> Full roll out of DVB-T will take 12-18 months. The service is likely to
> start on some of the major transmitters at the same time as the
> Satellite.
>
> In Auckland one multiplex is already up and running, and I expect to
> see another one within a couple of months.

They would be stupid not to, as the more people they can get on without having
to shell out for dishes and installation the better. They really need to get
some other sites like remuera and pine hill up and runnign before they can
promote it, since a hell of a lot of people are pointing to them rather then
waiatarua.

I recon we will see $99 settops in countdown soon after they announce it so long
as they go mpeg 2, if its 4 then who knows really

Zonky

Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> They would be stupid not to, as the more people they can get on
> without having to shell out for dishes and installation the better.

If the experience mirrors the UK, many, many people will require new UHF
aerials for any chance of Terrestial digital reception.

Z.

--
Please remove my_pants when replying by email.

BOYCOTT MIDAS NZ FOR PLACING ADVERTS DURING LIVE F1 on SKY SPORTS!
http://boycottmidas.blogspot.com/

Steven Ellis

Richard wrote:
> Steven Ellis wrote:
>
> > Full roll out of DVB-T will take 12-18 months. The service is likely to
> > start on some of the major transmitters at the same time as the
> > Satellite.
> >
> > In Auckland one multiplex is already up and running, and I expect to
> > see another one within a couple of months.

> They would be stupid not to, as the more people they can get on without having
> to shell out for dishes and installation the better. They really need to get
> some other sites like remuera and pine hill up and runnign before they can
> promote it, since a hell of a lot of people are pointing to them rather then
> waiatarua.

There might be a lot of people pointing at these other transmitters,
but the majority of people in Auckland use Waiatarua, like well over
50%. For round 1 it will only be the major transmitters. Sub sites
around Auckland are probably atleast a year to 18 months away

> I recon we will see $99 settops in countdown soon after they announce it so long
> as they go mpeg 2, if its 4 then who knows really

Yup. DSE is probably ordering in the same units as they stock in AU
already.

Steve

Richard

Zonky wrote:
> Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>

>>They would be stupid not to, as the more people they can get on
>>without having to shell out for dishes and installation the better.

> If the experience mirrors the UK, many, many people will require new UHF
> aerials for any chance of Terrestial digital reception.

The UK clustered there orig 4 channels together in different areas, same problem
happened then the 5th channel started there, because it was at a different part
of the band.

All NZ UHFs are wideband since its all in use so shouldnt have that problem.

Also they are running the digital at lower power to stop it overloading some
crappy analog recievers untill the analog switchoff date I read somewhere too.

FTA TV Question Warwick NZ Computing 10 04-13-2009 05:46 AM
Downloading FTA TV shows steve NZ Computing 64 11-30-2005 08:48 PM
"A Digital Photography Odyssey, Volume 1: The Digital Lens" at XYZ Computing Silverstrand Front Page News 0 11-18-2005 12:28 AM
FTA digital TV in NZ wadefleming@yahoo.com NZ Computing 10 11-16-2005 07:33 AM