Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Interesting speed comparisons.....

Interesting speed comparisons.....

Crash

I have now moved away from Xtra and the results of using the speed test at
www.nzdsl.co.nz are somewhat startling. I am on a 3.5/512 plan with Orcon and
was on an identical plan with Xtra. All speeds here quoted in megabits per
second. I was switched yesterday morning.

Over a 2 month period with Xtra, download speed was around 3.2 for most of the
time except after about 5:30 pm when it was more normal to get about .500 down.

Upload speeds were consistent - around .450 any time of day.

With Orcon, the slowest download speed has been 3.408 - taken at 8:30 am this
morning. Download speeds taken at 10 pm yesterday was 3.417 and taken a few
minutes ago was 3.410. Its only 2 days so far but these peak time differences
are so substantial to be barely believable.

Originally I had thought that the peak time slowdown would have been caused by
contention between me and my DSLAM (in which case the problem is with Telecom
and would occur regardless of who the ISP was). That clearly is NOT the case -
performance seems to vary depending on the ISP.

This is coolest

Crash.

none

That speed test is hosted at Orcon.

No surprises it's faster.

Crash wrote:
> I have now moved away from Xtra and the results of using the speed test
> at www.nzdsl.co.nz are somewhat startling. I am on a 3.5/512 plan with
> Orcon and was on an identical plan with Xtra. All speeds here quoted in
> megabits per second. I was switched yesterday morning.
>
> Over a 2 month period with Xtra, download speed was around 3.2 for most
> of the time except after about 5:30 pm when it was more normal to get
> about .500 down.
>
> Upload speeds were consistent - around .450 any time of day.
>
> With Orcon, the slowest download speed has been 3.408 - taken at 8:30 am
> this morning. Download speeds taken at 10 pm yesterday was 3.417 and
> taken a few minutes ago was 3.410. Its only 2 days so far but these
> peak time differences are so substantial to be barely believable.
>
> Originally I had thought that the peak time slowdown would have been
> caused by contention between me and my DSLAM (in which case the problem
> is with Telecom and would occur regardless of who the ISP was). That
> clearly is NOT the case - performance seems to vary depending on the ISP.
>
> This is coolest
>
> Crash.

Craig Whitmore

"none" <""mcooper\"@(none)"> wrote in message
news:448fe8f7$(E-Mail Removed)...
> That speed test is hosted at Orcon.
>
> No surprises it's faster.

Yes it is Hosted at Orcon, but it has high speed connections to all ISP's
in NZ so what ISP you are coming from shouldn't make much of a difference in
the results you are getting (Speedtest Box -> ISP Speed). Using say for
example the jetstreamgames speedtest (if you made done it as well, might of
shown the same thing)

Yes there are some bottlenecks on ISPs which could mean from the DSL->ISP is
slower at peak times.

Personally I've not seen any differences between the Main DSL ISP's (from
the same location). (ie speed should be the same on the same DSLAM if you
are on Xtra or IHUG or Orcon or......) as (normally) the speed is limited by
the backhaul from the DSLAM->Telecom's Network and not via the ISP (for
national traffic)

Thanks
Craig
www.nzdsl.co.nz

Crash

Craig Whitmore wrote:
> "none" <""mcooper\"@(none)"> wrote in message
> news:448fe8f7$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> That speed test is hosted at Orcon.
>>
>> No surprises it's faster.

> Yes it is Hosted at Orcon, but it has high speed connections to all ISP's
> in NZ so what ISP you are coming from shouldn't make much of a difference in
> the results you are getting (Speedtest Box -> ISP Speed). Using say for
> example the jetstreamgames speedtest (if you made done it as well, might of
> shown the same thing)
>
> Yes there are some bottlenecks on ISPs which could mean from the DSL->ISP is
> slower at peak times.
>
> Personally I've not seen any differences between the Main DSL ISP's (from
> the same location). (ie speed should be the same on the same DSLAM if you
> are on Xtra or IHUG or Orcon or......) as (normally) the speed is limited by
> the backhaul from the DSLAM->Telecom's Network and not via the ISP (for
> national traffic)

Hmmm - I had not considered where nzdsl was hosted

However I have noted a marked general improvement in performance at peak times -
much faster response from trademe and internet banking for example.

Crash.