Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Another feature dropped from Vista

Reply
Thread Tools

Another feature dropped from Vista

 
 
GraB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-13-2006
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2761

Microsoft drops PC-to-PC Sync from Windows Vista

Microsoft has added another victim to its growing list of dropped
features from its long delayed Windows Vista. According to TechWeb
Microsoft has dropped PC-to-PC Sync, a feature that allows P2P
transfer of files between computers to help keeps those files up to
date on multiple computers.

Previously, Microsoft dropped a number of what some consider key
features from Windows Vista which include the .NET powered Windows
shell codenamed ‘Monad’, WinFS -- the next generation Windows file
system, and as DailyTech reported support for FireWire-B and other
features. Many analysts and users are now questioning the actual
benefits of Vista. Many of the features that were suppose to make
Vista so great are now gone.

All is not lost however. There is an incomplete and potentially
inaccurate list of new features listed at Wikipedia. Among the new
features are enhanced security capabilities including User Access
Controls (UAC). UAC however may drive some users insane instead of
being an effective security measure. Deleting a shortcut without
adminstrative privileges may require more than seven steps to
complete.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Have A Nice Cup of Tea
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-13-2006
On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 17:54:05 +1200, GraB wrote:

> Deleting a shortcut without
> adminstrative privileges may require more than seven steps to
> complete.


Which just goes to show that Micro$oft really has no idea on how to make a
computer secure!


Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
1/ Migration to Linux only costs money once. Higher Windows TCO is forever.
2/ "Shared source" is a poison pill. Open Source is freedom.
3/ Only the Windows boxes get the worms.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
thingy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-13-2006
Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 17:54:05 +1200, GraB wrote:
>
>
>>Deleting a shortcut without
>>adminstrative privileges may require more than seven steps to
>>complete.

>
>
> Which just goes to show that Micro$oft really has no idea on how to make a
> computer secure!
>
>
> Have A Nice Cup of Tea
>


yeah.....either you can, or you cannot, no take 7 steps and its done
anyway....if vista is this bad now......

regards

Thing

 
Reply With Quote
 
Steven H
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-13-2006
Hello GraB,

> Microsoft has added another victim to its growing list of dropped
> features from its long delayed Windows Vista. According to TechWeb
> Microsoft has dropped PC-to-PC Sync, a feature that allows P2P
> transfer of files between computers to help keeps those files up to
> date on multiple computers.


ummm sync toy ? which is available now

> Previously, Microsoft dropped a number of what some consider key
> features from Windows Vista which include the .NET powered Windows
> shell codenamed Monad,


because its available now

and just to show how accurate the source is Monald's name is 'Windows Power
Shell', it has had that name for quite some time.

> Deleting a shortcut without
> adminstrative privileges may require more than seven steps to
> complete.


if that shortcut is a 'all user' one no 'user' should be able to delete it
iirc its the same in XP

----------------
the madGeek

> http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2761
>
> Microsoft drops PC-to-PC Sync from Windows Vista
>
> Microsoft has added another victim to its growing list of dropped
> features from its long delayed Windows Vista. According to TechWeb
> Microsoft has dropped PC-to-PC Sync, a feature that allows P2P
> transfer of files between computers to help keeps those files up to
> date on multiple computers.
>
> Previously, Microsoft dropped a number of what some consider key
> features from Windows Vista which include the .NET powered Windows
> shell codenamed ‘Monad’, WinFS -- the next generation Windows file
> system, and as DailyTech reported support for FireWire-B and other
> features. Many analysts and users are now questioning the actual
> benefits of Vista. Many of the features that were suppose to make
> Vista so great are now gone.
>
> All is not lost however. There is an incomplete and potentially
> inaccurate list of new features listed at Wikipedia. Among the new
> features are enhanced security capabilities including User Access
> Controls (UAC). UAC however may drive some users insane instead of
> being an effective security measure. Deleting a shortcut without
> adminstrative privileges may require more than seven steps to
> complete.
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Have A Nice Cup of Tea
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-13-2006
On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 09:21:35 +0000, Steven H wrote:

> if that shortcut is a 'all user' one no 'user' should be able to delete it
> iirc its the same in XP


A user should be able to delete ANYTHING on their desktop - absolutely and
without question!

After all - whose desktop is it?

The user should have full control over their desktop.


Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
1/ Migration to Linux only costs money once. Higher Windows TCO is forever.
2/ "Shared source" is a poison pill. Open Source is freedom.
3/ Only the Windows boxes get the worms.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Nathan Mercer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-13-2006
Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
> > if that shortcut is a 'all user' one no 'user' should be able to delete it
> > iirc its the same in XP

>
> A user should be able to delete ANYTHING on their desktop - absolutely and
> without question!
>
> After all - whose desktop is it?
>
> The user should have full control over their desktop.


Not neccessarily.

A user doesn't have to be the PCs owner.

If you work for me and I pay your wages, I'll have your PC desktop
setup anyway that my business likes

Cheers
Nathan

 
Reply With Quote
 
Nathan Mercer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-13-2006
GraB wrote:
> http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2761
>
> Microsoft drops PC-to-PC Sync from Windows Vista
>
> Microsoft has added another victim to its growing list of dropped
> features from its long delayed Windows Vista. According to TechWeb
> Microsoft has dropped PC-to-PC Sync, a feature that allows P2P
> transfer of files between computers to help keeps those files up to
> date on multiple computers.


As someone else pointed out, use the Windows tool called SyncToy

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...9-CCE41AF06EB7

> Previously, Microsoft dropped a number of what some consider key
> features from Windows Vista which include the .NET powered Windows
> shell codenamed 'Monad', WinFS -- the next generation Windows file


"MONAD" was never, ever going to be in and on by default in Windows
Vista.

> system, and as DailyTech reported support for FireWire-B and other
> features. Many analysts and users are now questioning the actual
> benefits of Vista. Many of the features that were suppose to make
> Vista so great are now gone.
>
> All is not lost however. There is an incomplete and potentially
> inaccurate list of new features listed at Wikipedia. Among the new


Actually Wikipedia is pretty much up to date with the list of Windows
Vista features

> features are enhanced security capabilities including User Access
> Controls (UAC). UAC however may drive some users insane instead of
> being an effective security measure. Deleting a shortcut without
> adminstrative privileges may require more than seven steps to
> complete.


There is a bug in beta2 when you delete items off the desktop that you
don't own, and then empty them from the recycle bin. This was known
about and not fixed in beta2 because of priorities, its hardly a super
important bug. It is already fixed internally in RC1 builds of Windows
Vista.

The first RC1 build will be going out to technical beta testers late
June/early July.

Regards
Nathan

 
Reply With Quote
 
Nathan Mercer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-13-2006
thingy wrote:
> >>Deleting a shortcut without
> >>adminstrative privileges may require more than seven steps to
> >>complete.

> >
> >
> > Which just goes to show that Micro$oft really has no idea on how to make a
> > computer secure!
> >
> >
> > Have A Nice Cup of Tea
> >

>
> yeah.....either you can, or you cannot, no take 7 steps and its done
> anyway....if vista is this bad now......


It just gets _better_ from here on out till Release to Manufacture



Cheers
Nathan

 
Reply With Quote
 
Matthew Poole
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-13-2006
On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 04:27:17 -0700, someone purporting to be Nathan
Mercer didst scrawl:

> Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

*SNIP*
> If you work for me and I pay your wages, I'll have your PC desktop
> setup anyway that my business likes
>

And if that's the degree of micromanagement that you consider acceptable,
enjoy running the company on your own.

As far as HANCOT's point about a user having full control goes, if they
can create it they damn well ought to be able to delete it, no? Which,
from what I've read, is not the case with Vista's attempt at a security
model.

--
Matthew Poole
"Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

 
Reply With Quote
 
Have A Nice Cup of Tea
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-13-2006
On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 04:27:17 -0700, Nathan Mercer wrote:

>> A user should be able to delete ANYTHING on their desktop - absolutely and
>> without question!
>>
>> After all - whose desktop is it?
>>
>> The user should have full control over their desktop.

>
> Not neccessarily.
>
> A user doesn't have to be the PCs owner.


A User is NOT the computer's owner - in the sense that a User is merely
someone who uses the PC as a productivity tool. A User cannot make any
changes to the configuration or operation of the computer in any way other
than changes to their personal desktop settings. Only the Root user can
make changes to the system - or users who have been specifically delegated
ability from the root user (sudo).


> If you work for me and I pay your wages, I'll have your PC desktop
> setup anyway that my business likes


Incorrect.

The desktop is the *user's* working space. If you want optimal
productivity out of your staff you provide them with an appropriate
working space.

And that means if a user wants a clean desktop and access to everything
from the K menu, then so beit.

If the user wants everything accessible from the desktop and only minimal
stuff on the K menu, then so beit!

How a user sets up their desktop does not alter how the computer will
work, or how any other user can user their desktop. And the Root user can
still set up the default desktop anyway they please.

The only time you would want to completely lock down a user's desktop is
when you're using the desktop as a kiosk - and yes in that circumstance of
course you would want the user to be incapable of making any changes -
because the users in those circumstances most likely be members of the
public rather than proper users with accounts of their own.


Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
1/ Migration to Linux only costs money once. Higher Windows TCO is forever.
2/ "Shared source" is a poison pill. Open Source is freedom.
3/ Only the Windows boxes get the worms.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vista is out to get your files / Another Vista stuff up / Microsoft Paranoia PeeCee Computer Support 14 12-21-2007 11:33 PM
Dropped Wireless Connections wrt350n & Intel 3945, Vista morrison22 Wireless Networking 5 04-03-2007 08:52 PM
Vista codec packages for Vista 32 & vista 64 Kue2 Windows 64bit 0 03-05-2007 05:48 PM
Microsoft cuts ANOTHER feature: full HD playback in 32bit Vista goes Mutlley NZ Computing 108 09-02-2006 03:06 AM
Micro$oft slips yet another feature out of M$ Windows Vista Have A Nice Cup of Tea NZ Computing 30 03-15-2006 06:25 PM



Advertisments