Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Crossover Network Cable question

Crossover Network Cable question

file.dumping.ground

> Thanks everyone, I have tried plugin it in and it does work which is great.
> It is a wireless router, as well as having 4 ethernet ports, I wanted to
> plug in an old computer which is located next to the router, so there was no
> point in connecting it wirelessly. I use the wireless for connecting from my
> laptop. I was willing to buy a direct cable, but thought that if I could use
> a cable I already had, it would be a small saving and mean that I wouldn't
> have another redundant cable laying around.

Crossover cables are potentially useful anyway. They're commonly used
for connecting two computers together without the need for a hub or
router. This is the cheapest network possible... and is useful when you
need to transfer a few files between the two computers when you don't
have other hardware available to do the job.

Vista

"file.dumping.ground" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

>> Thanks everyone, I have tried plugin it in and it does work which is
>> great.
>> It is a wireless router, as well as having 4 ethernet ports, I wanted to
>> plug in an old computer which is located next to the router, so there was
>> no
>> point in connecting it wirelessly. I use the wireless for connecting from
>> my
>> laptop. I was willing to buy a direct cable, but thought that if I could
>> use
>> a cable I already had, it would be a small saving and mean that I
>> wouldn't
>> have another redundant cable laying around.

> Crossover cables are potentially useful anyway. They're commonly used
> for connecting two computers together without the need for a hub or
> router. This is the cheapest network possible... and is useful when you
> need to transfer a few files between the two computers when you don't
> have other hardware available to do the job.

Yeah, I used to use it for that very purpose. But since getting the router
the cable became redundant until I learnt that I could still use it with a
router.