Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > hp psc 1310 and My documents, resizing scanned photo

hp psc 1310 and My documents, resizing scanned photo

Geopelia

I have hp psc 1310. It prints, scans and copies. I am still learning how to
use it.

I've scanned a photo (Black and white Box Brownie one, not digital) which
has ended up in My Documents as Bitmap.
I'm trying to resize and print it. I can get the Preview, and I zoom, but
when I press the print icon the picture prints in the original size.
"Paint" comes up, I think the image is supposed to appear there in the
frame for editing, but it doesn't. I've been looking through the instruction
book and Help, but can't see how to get the image to appear. So the stuff
about editing can't be done.

Am I doing something wrong? What should I click? Is there anything I can
click to get information about Paint? I've used it before for drawing
pictures.

Apart from this, I love the hp psc 1310, so easy to print emails out and
make copies of things.

Windows XP, Outlook Express 6

Thank you
Geopelia (clueless as usual!)

juicyjuice

use another program like Paint Shop Pro to resize the image.

"Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e6aq3t$nsj$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have hp psc 1310. It prints, scans and copies. I am still learning how to
>use it.
>
> I've scanned a photo (Black and white Box Brownie one, not digital) which
> has ended up in My Documents as Bitmap.
> I'm trying to resize and print it. I can get the Preview, and I zoom, but
> when I press the print icon the picture prints in the original size.
> "Paint" comes up, I think the image is supposed to appear there in the
> frame for editing, but it doesn't. I've been looking through the
> instruction book and Help, but can't see how to get the image to appear.
> So the stuff about editing can't be done.
>
> Am I doing something wrong? What should I click? Is there anything I can
> click to get information about Paint? I've used it before for drawing
> pictures.
>
> Apart from this, I love the hp psc 1310, so easy to print emails out and
> make copies of things.
>
> Windows XP, Outlook Express 6
>
> Thank you
> Geopelia (clueless as usual!)

Geopelia

"juicyjuice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e6atgf$3bt$(E-Mail Removed)...
> use another program like Paint Shop Pro to resize the image.

Thank you, but I don't have Paint Shop Pro.

Geopelia

> "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:e6aq3t$nsj$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have hp psc 1310. It prints, scans and copies. I am still learning how
>>to use it.
>>
>> I've scanned a photo (Black and white Box Brownie one, not digital) which
>> has ended up in My Documents as Bitmap.
>> I'm trying to resize and print it. I can get the Preview, and I zoom, but
>> when I press the print icon the picture prints in the original size.
>> "Paint" comes up, I think the image is supposed to appear there in the
>> frame for editing, but it doesn't. I've been looking through the
>> instruction book and Help, but can't see how to get the image to appear.
>> So the stuff about editing can't be done.
>>
>> Am I doing something wrong? What should I click? Is there anything I can
>> click to get information about Paint? I've used it before for drawing
>> pictures.
>>
>> Apart from this, I love the hp psc 1310, so easy to print emails out and
>> make copies of things.
>>
>> Windows XP, Outlook Express 6
>>
>> Thank you
>> Geopelia (clueless as usual!)

Mark Robinson

Geopelia wrote:
> I have hp psc 1310. It prints, scans and copies. I am still learning how to
> use it.
>
> I've scanned a photo (Black and white Box Brownie one, not digital) which
> has ended up in My Documents as Bitmap.
> I'm trying to resize and print it. I can get the Preview, and I zoom, but

Zoom is not the same as resize. Zoom makes the image appear larger while resize
makes the image itself larger. I'm sorry I can give you specific information on
how to do this in Paint. I use Irfanview to do simple image manipulation under
Windows and Gimp for more serious stuff.

Rebel

Geopelia wrote:

> "juicyjuice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:e6atgf$3bt$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> use another program like Paint Shop Pro to resize the image.

> Thank you, but I don't have Paint Shop Pro.
>
> Geopelia

The Gimp is a good open source replacement, I know that's a dirty word to
some people here but not to you

http://www.gimp.org

Martin

I've used similar HP all-in-ones and the software with it (scanner manager
or something) usually lets you set the default resolution to scan at (eg.
150 dpi) and the format to save in - jpg is usally a good choice ...

"Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e6aq3t$nsj$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have hp psc 1310. It prints, scans and copies. I am still learning how to
>use it.
>
> I've scanned a photo (Black and white Box Brownie one, not digital) which
> has ended up in My Documents as Bitmap.
> I'm trying to resize and print it. I can get the Preview, and I zoom, but
> when I press the print icon the picture prints in the original size.
> "Paint" comes up, I think the image is supposed to appear there in the
> frame for editing, but it doesn't. I've been looking through the
> instruction book and Help, but can't see how to get the image to appear.
> So the stuff about editing can't be done.
>
> Am I doing something wrong? What should I click? Is there anything I can
> click to get information about Paint? I've used it before for drawing
> pictures.
>
> Apart from this, I love the hp psc 1310, so easy to print emails out and
> make copies of things.
>
> Windows XP, Outlook Express 6
>
> Thank you
> Geopelia (clueless as usual!)

Geopelia

"Rebel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Geopelia wrote:
>

>> "juicyjuice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:e6atgf$3bt$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> use another program like Paint Shop Pro to resize the image.

>> Thank you, but I don't have Paint Shop Pro.
>>
>> Geopelia
>>>

> The Gimp is a good open source replacement, I know that's a dirty word to
> some people here but not to you
>
> http://www.gimp.org

Thank you, but I just want to use the programs I have got. There must be
something, if I could find out where to click for it.
Gimp looks too technical for me.

Geopelia

Geopelia

"Mark Robinson" <(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net...
> Geopelia wrote:
>> I have hp psc 1310. It prints, scans and copies. I am still learning how
>> to use it.
>>
>> I've scanned a photo (Black and white Box Brownie one, not digital)
>> which has ended up in My Documents as Bitmap.
>> I'm trying to resize and print it. I can get the Preview, and I zoom, but

> Zoom is not the same as resize. Zoom makes the image appear larger while
> resize makes the image itself larger. I'm sorry I can give you specific
> information on how to do this in Paint. I use Irfanview to do simple image
> manipulation under Windows and Gimp for more serious stuff.

Thank you. Paint is the program that came up when I opened the picture in My
Documents. The image should be there, I think, but it isn't.

Geopelia

Geopelia

"Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e6b2n6$coe$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've used similar HP all-in-ones and the software with it (scanner manager
> or something) usually lets you set the default resolution to scan at (eg.
> 150 dpi) and the format to save in - jpg is usally a good choice ...

I used to use jpg when I had Ulead photo express, but HP seems to save it in
Bitmap.
I just want to be able to resize the scanned photo.
I'll carry on hunting through the user guide and Help, there ought to be
something there but I haven't been able to find it.

Thank you
Geopelia

> "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:e6aq3t$nsj$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have hp psc 1310. It prints, scans and copies. I am still learning how
>>to use it.
>>
>> I've scanned a photo (Black and white Box Brownie one, not digital) which
>> has ended up in My Documents as Bitmap.
>> I'm trying to resize and print it. I can get the Preview, and I zoom, but
>> when I press the print icon the picture prints in the original size.
>> "Paint" comes up, I think the image is supposed to appear there in the
>> frame for editing, but it doesn't. I've been looking through the
>> instruction book and Help, but can't see how to get the image to appear.
>> So the stuff about editing can't be done.

Matty F

Geopelia wrote:

> Thank you, but I just want to use the programs I have got. There must be
> something, if I could find out where to click for it.
> Gimp looks too technical for me.

Using Paint:
File/Open [picname]
Image menu: Stretch/Skew
change both the horizontal and vertical stretch from 100% to
desired size.
File/Save As [newpicname]

Paint can also change it from bmp to jpg which has a much smaller
file size if you want to email it. To do that, use "Save as type"
JPEG when saving.