Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Once upon a time

Once upon a time

Shane

An announcement like this would have stopped traffic

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6...ml?tag=nl.e589
After months of limited testing, Microsoft late Wednesday made a beta
version of Windows Vista publicly available for download.

The company kicked off what it called its "Customer Preview Program," a
testing period in which the software maker hopes millions of tech
enthusiasts will kick the tires on the new operating system.

__EOF__

I just double checked /. and it amassed 395 comments, vs the firefox
dropping pre windows 2k support amassing 416 comments
The times they are a changing

--
Rule 6: There is no rule 6

Blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

Craig Shore

On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 14:30:02 +1200, Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote:

>An announcement like this would have stopped traffic
>
>http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6...ml?tag=nl.e589
>After months of limited testing, Microsoft late Wednesday made a beta
>version of Windows Vista publicly available for download.
>
>The company kicked off what it called its "Customer Preview Program," a
>testing period in which the software maker hopes millions of tech
>enthusiasts will kick the tires on the new operating system.
>

>__EOF__
>

>I just double checked /. and it amassed 395 comments, vs the firefox
>dropping pre windows 2k support amassing 416 comments
>The times they are a changing

I was going to say maybe noone wants it because of the DRM, but seriously most
people won't care about that until it's too late.

Lack of interest in Vista is probably because most people are happy with XP.

Robert Cooze

Craig Shore wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 14:30:02 +1200, Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote:
>

>>An announcement like this would have stopped traffic
>>
>>http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6...ml?tag=nl.e589
>>After months of limited testing, Microsoft late Wednesday made a beta
>>version of Windows Vista publicly available for download.
>>
>>The company kicked off what it called its "Customer Preview Program," a
>>testing period in which the software maker hopes millions of tech
>>enthusiasts will kick the tires on the new operating system.
>>

>>__EOF__
>>

>>I just double checked /. and it amassed 395 comments, vs the firefox
>>dropping pre windows 2k support amassing 416 comments
>>The times they are a changing

> I was going to say maybe noone wants it because of the DRM, but seriously most
> people won't care about that until it's too late.
>
> Lack of interest in Vista is probably because most people are happy with XP.

To be blunt when win98 came out win 95 was working ok with no trobles
till I got a faster cpu! know tthe answer now little consolution
now... then win 2k cam out well 98 was good enough (linux, KDE, Gnome
just a testing phsae) then some software would not work properly so off
to 2k land.... well XP came out. I bit the bullet as It seemed to play
nicer than 2K did most things and IS GOOD enough. till about 6 months
ago the testing of KDE and Gnome there were things that were just not
right. Vista will not be used on this machine as it will not does not
have enough grunt to run it from what I have herd on the rumer mill. I
still Like XP a lot but what will the future hold? I dont Know. S**t I
might have an apple LOL