Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Anyone feel like an anagram?

Anyone feel like an anagram?

Steve B

"Ninety six bottles of beer, three a's, three b's, one c, two d's,
thirty two e's, six f's, two g's, six h's, twelve i's, one j, one k,
five l's, one m, eighteen n's, fourteen o's, one p, six r's, twenty
seven s's, twenty t's, two u's, seven v's, nine w's, five x's, and
five y's on the wall..lets goto mcdonalds soon. we can get a hamburger
or too [sic]."

Interesting piece of dummy text I got in a spam message this morning.
Is it an anagram of some phrase?

A long string of alphabetically-arranged letters anagramming some
secret phrase was a 17th/18th century practice for concealing some
vital discovery in the days before patents were secure. If anyone
copied your idea, you could produce the anagram and claim prior
discovery. The classic is Robert Hook's "ceiiinosssttuu" = "ut tensio
sic uis" (the force that a spring pulls back with is proportional to
the amount you stretch it).

I don't know if there's a program that will toil away and get a
sensible set of words out of this one; it'll probably be something
obscene or a promise of a university degree or an unprecedented
investment opportunity.

Or maybe nothing at all. Where's Signor da Vinci when you need him?

cheers,

BeeStv

anon k

Steve B wrote:
> "Ninety six bottles of beer, three a's, three b's, one c, two d's,
> thirty two e's, six f's, two g's, six h's, twelve i's, one j, one k,
> five l's, one m, eighteen n's, fourteen o's, one p, six r's, twenty
> seven s's, twenty t's, two u's, seven v's, nine w's, five x's, and
> five y's on the wall..lets goto mcdonalds soon. we can get a hamburger
> or too [sic]."
>
> Interesting piece of dummy text I got in a spam message this morning.
> Is it an anagram of some phrase?

Up to a point, the text describes itself. Then it breaks down. I've
never seen it with the mcdonalds bit at the end.

This sentence has three a's, two c's, two d's, nineteen e's, six f's,
two g's, five h's, ten i's, two l's, twelve n's, nine o's, five r's,
twenty six s's, sixteen t's, four u's, four v's, eight w's, four x's,
and two y's.

> A long string of alphabetically-arranged letters anagramming some
> secret phrase was a 17th/18th century practice for concealing some
> vital discovery in the days before patents were secure. If anyone
> copied your idea, you could produce the anagram and claim prior
> discovery. The classic is Robert Hook's "ceiiinosssttuu" = "ut tensio
> sic uis" (the force that a spring pulls back with is proportional to
> the amount you stretch it).

There's apparently another by Galileo from which Kepler squeezed a wrong
solution that he proceeded to work from. I remember coming across some
book that listed quite a few of these anagrams. One or two of Hooke's
still haven't been decoded.

BTMO

"Steve B" <> wrote

> Or maybe nothing at all. Where's Signor da Vinci when you need him?

Dead.

I think it has something to do with the KT boundary, but I am not sure...

Ian

self referential sentence (it talks about itself) probably used to get
around spam filters

Ian
"Steve B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Ninety six bottles of beer, three a's, three b's, one c, two d's,
> thirty two e's, six f's, two g's, six h's, twelve i's, one j, one k,
> five l's, one m, eighteen n's, fourteen o's, one p, six r's, twenty
> seven s's, twenty t's, two u's, seven v's, nine w's, five x's, and
> five y's on the wall..lets goto mcdonalds soon. we can get a hamburger
> or too [sic]."
>
> Interesting piece of dummy text I got in a spam message this morning.
> Is it an anagram of some phrase?
>
> A long string of alphabetically-arranged letters anagramming some
> secret phrase was a 17th/18th century practice for concealing some
> vital discovery in the days before patents were secure. If anyone
> copied your idea, you could produce the anagram and claim prior
> discovery. The classic is Robert Hook's "ceiiinosssttuu" = "ut tensio
> sic uis" (the force that a spring pulls back with is proportional to
> the amount you stretch it).
>
> I don't know if there's a program that will toil away and get a
> sensible set of words out of this one; it'll probably be something
> obscene or a promise of a university degree or an unprecedented
> investment opportunity.
>
> Or maybe nothing at all. Where's Signor da Vinci when you need him?
>
> cheers,
>
> BeeStv

Jasen Betts

On 2006-06-08, Steve B <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Ninety six bottles of beer, three a's, three b's, one c, two d's,
> thirty two e's, six f's, two g's, six h's, twelve i's, one j, one k,
> five l's, one m, eighteen n's, fourteen o's, one p, six r's, twenty
> seven s's, twenty t's, two u's, seven v's, nine w's, five x's, and
> five y's on the wall..lets goto mcdonalds soon. we can get a hamburger
> or too [sic]."
>
> Interesting piece of dummy text I got in a spam message this morning.
> Is it an anagram of some phrase?
>
> A long string of alphabetically-arranged letters anagramming some
> secret phrase was a 17th/18th century practice for concealing some
> vital discovery in the days before patents were secure. If anyone
> copied your idea, you could produce the anagram and claim prior
> discovery. The classic is Robert Hook's "ceiiinosssttuu" = "ut tensio
> sic uis" (the force that a spring pulls back with is proportional to
> the amount you stretch it).
>
> I don't know if there's a program that will toil away and get a
> sensible set of words out of this one; it'll probably be something
> obscene or a promise of a university degree or an unprecedented
> investment opportunity.

I've got a prog called "an"

photojournalism's extraterrestrials exclusiveness's extensiveness's
extensiveness's extensiveness's foreknowledge's weightlessness's
twentieths twentieth twentieth twentieth downy vow wyo ivy nov fob
off off bony bony

nonsense, but it matches the count...

there's only a million(guess) others like that to comb through,

Bye.
Jasen