Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Ballmer lets slip Vista slip

Ballmer lets slip Vista slip

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/05...r_vista_delay/

"" Analyst house Gartner earned Microsoft's ire back in 2003 by predicting
substantial delays. Gartner now predicts Vista will not be widely
available until the second quarter of 2007. ""

<Humming> slip sliding away.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

Mauricio Freitas [MVP]

"Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/05...r_vista_delay/
>
> "" Analyst house Gartner earned Microsoft's ire back in 2003 by predicting
> substantial delays. Gartner now predicts Vista will not be widely
> available until the second quarter of 2007. ""
>

> <Humming> slip sliding away.
>

> Have A Nice Cup of Tea

The keyword "widely" makes me think.

They would have written "Vista will not be available until the second
quarter", but it looks like they want to have a way out. If Vista is
released in Februar 2007, they can say something like "Oh, we didn't say
'not availabe', but 'widely available', meaning distributed through new PCs
and laptops"...

One can't trust everything you read from analysts and consultants...

--

Mauricio Freitas
www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm,

TKKGHCMT

"Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/05...r_vista_delay/
>
> "" Analyst house Gartner earned Microsoft's ire back in 2003 by predicting
> substantial delays. Gartner now predicts Vista will not be widely
> available until the second quarter of 2007. ""
>

> <Humming> slip sliding away.

Remember this?

Microsoft customers balk at license changes
http://news.com.com/2100-1001-273276.html
Cold shoulder for Microsoft plan http://news.com.com/2100-1001-947164.html

"For the majority of businesses, which upgrade software every three to six
years, Software Assurance works out to a hefty price increase, as there is
no certainty that Microsoft will deliver a product during the contract
period."

"The reason for stiff customer resistance is simple: cost. The plan, called
Licensing 6, effectively raises volume-licensing fees from 33 percent to 107
percent, according to market researcher Gartner. Microsoft also eliminated
the most popular means of buying upgrades, which allowed companies to pay
when they wanted new software, rather than spend money in advance for
software upgrades."

"So if customer resistance is stiff now, it could be much worse in two or
three years if products such as .Net Server--already delayed by a year--or
Longhorn, ship late."

"The next time you buy this software, do you believe these guys? Are they
credible? They've just taken a bunch of money, and they're not giving it
back. But you got nothing for it."

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 20:23:25 +1200, Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:

>> "" Analyst house Gartner earned Microsoft's ire back in 2003 by predicting
>> substantial delays. Gartner now predicts Vista will not be widely
>> available until the second quarter of 2007. ""

> The keyword "widely" makes me think.
>
> They would have written "Vista will not be available until the second
> quarter", but it looks like they want to have a way out. If Vista is
> released in Februar 2007, they can say something like "Oh, we didn't say
> 'not availabe', but 'widely available', meaning distributed through new PCs
> and laptops"...
>
> One can't trust everything you read from analysts and consultants...

The point being... if something is officially released in, say, Jan 07,
but only, say, 10 copies were released, and all of them to employees of
the company that released them, and if people outside of the company was
only able to get a copy for themselves 5 months later in June 07, then
sure - it was released in January, but not actually available to the
general public until June.

"Widely available" in this context means available to anybody who would
want it.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 21:44:50 +1200, TKKGHCMT wrote:

> "For the majority of businesses, which upgrade software every three to six
> years, Software Assurance works out to a hefty price increase, as there is
> no certainty that Microsoft will deliver a product during the contract
> period."

Indeed - and it didn't deliver!

Have A Nice Cup of Tea