Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Buying XP

Buying XP

thingy

My understanding is XP home wont use more than one CPU? so is Home a no
no on dual core CPUs? ie I am looking for an upgrade for my hardware for
games only though....no point in getting Home if it will need upgrading
to pro....

regards

Thing

Nathan Mercer

thingy wrote:
> My understanding is XP home wont use more than one CPU? so is Home a no
> no on dual core CPUs? ie I am looking for an upgrade for my hardware for
> games only though....no point in getting Home if it will need upgrading
> to pro....

Windows is licensed on a per socket basis, Intel and AMD can put as
many cores into a single socket as they like

Physical procs are what counts - you can have any number of cores

Cheers
Nathan

thingy

Nathan Mercer wrote:
> thingy wrote:
>
>>My understanding is XP home wont use more than one CPU? so is Home a no
>>no on dual core CPUs? ie I am looking for an upgrade for my hardware for
>>games only though....no point in getting Home if it will need upgrading
>>to pro....

> Windows is licensed on a per socket basis, Intel and AMD can put as
> many cores into a single socket as they like
>
> Physical procs are what counts - you can have any number of cores
>
> Cheers
> Nathan

thanks

regards

Thing

Peter Huebner

In article <(E-Mail Removed) om>,

> Windows is licensed on a per socket basis, Intel and AMD can put as
> many cores into a single socket as they like
>
> Physical procs are what counts - you can have any number of cores
>
> Cheers
> Nathan

I thought NT 4 and Win2000 were able to make use of dual processor boards?

-Peter

AD.

Peter Huebner wrote:
> I thought NT 4 and Win2000 were able to make use of dual processor boards?

Yep, they can/could use up to two sockets. They are effectively the
predecessors of XP Pro.

XP Home is putting the NT kernel into the marketing position previously
held by 9x. Although 9x had no SMP at all, the new dualcore cpus give
the single socket XP Home SMP capability it wouldn't have gotten
otherwise.

--
Cheers
Anton

thingy

Peter Huebner wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) om>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>
>>Windows is licensed on a per socket basis, Intel and AMD can put as
>>many cores into a single socket as they like
>>
>>Physical procs are what counts - you can have any number of cores
>>
>>Cheers
>>Nathan
>>

> I thought NT 4 and Win2000 were able to make use of dual processor boards?
>
> -Peter

yes, my present box is a dual p3-1000, XP Pro supports this but my
undertsanding is XP home does not. NT4WS was also 2cpus, nt4server was 4
cpus as std I think.

regards

Thing