Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Beginners VHDL:

Beginners VHDL:

VHDLBABY

Hi I have been trying to find work in relation to IC design since I
graduated (3 years ago) but to no avail. I have recently taken a
"Comprehensive VHDL" course with Doulos. I have a Xilnx Spartan 3
Starter Kit Board. I want to use the knowledge I gained from doulos to
start to implement some designs. Is there anything simple you guys
could suggest to me, I would greatly appreciate it. I am confident
with my VHDL however I want to start of simple.

Thank you.

Ziko

Pascal Peyremorte

VHDLBABY a écrit :
> Hi I have been trying to find work in relation to IC design since I
> graduated (3 years ago) but to no avail. I have recently taken a
> "Comprehensive VHDL" course with Doulos. I have a Xilnx Spartan 3
> Starter Kit Board. I want to use the knowledge I gained from doulos to
> start to implement some designs. Is there anything simple you guys
> could suggest to me, I would greatly appreciate it. I am confident
> with my VHDL however I want to start of simple.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Ziko

Hello Ziko

I do not know what inputs or outputs can handle the Spartan 3 Starter
Kit Board, but the best start-project you can find is the one you like
so much that your motivation will be its first motor !
A too simple projet would not be so fun that a bit harder one ... if you
like "challenge"

Do you like sound ? Try to implement some sound basics digital functions
: delays, echo, reverbs, filters, fun effects...

Do you like motors ? Try to implement half or full bridge digital
control, speed or torque, vector control. Many things can be done with
smalls pieces of mirror, two motors, a low cost laser diode and some
imagination...

Do you like games ? You can try to implement some simple games in hard
coded logic, like the first ping-pong games.

Do you like video and hi-speed data ? Try to play with image filtering,
border recognition, compression, etc...

Do you like maths ? You can play with hardcoded SSx encryption
decryption, very large number factoring, or FFT and all around.

Do you like experiment ? You can try to implement a few bits processor
with a few instructions. You would be surprised by its power...

(sorry for my english )

Best regards,
Pascal

john

Hi.

try to interface it a Dual port RAM and use some samaphores to read and
write the data at the same time.

Johm

BluesToTheBone

Thanks guys, I am limited to what i can do on the board, it has a
number of buttons, switches, LEDs (7 segment), serial ports, PS/2
connection and some external connectors, have the 200k FPGA on it (not
that it will make a difference to small designs I will be
implementing).

Actually thinking about it would like somehow to read charachters from
a keyboard and display them on the LED display! Anyone know how PS/2
(or whatever they keyboard uses) works?

PS This is my new login in name.

Many thanks.

Ziko

Pascal Peyremorte

BluesToTheBone a écrit :
> Thanks guys, I am limited to what i can do on the board, it has a
> number of buttons, switches, LEDs (7 segment), serial ports, PS/2
> connection and some external connectors, have the 200k FPGA on it (not
> that it will make a difference to small designs I will be
> implementing).
>
> Actually thinking about it would like somehow to read charachters from
> a keyboard and display them on the LED display! Anyone know how PS/2
> (or whatever they keyboard uses) works?
>
> PS This is my new login in name.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Ziko

Hello, Ziko,

Look at :
http://www.computer-engineering.org/
http://doc.union.edu/118/Lab3/lab3.html

and more generic : google(PS2 keyboard interface);

I found that your board have also a VGA connector.
So you can also display an image, per exemple a small square ball
bouncing on borders first, a round ball after.

Have fun !
Pascal

BluesToTheBone

Oh yeah cool, thanks, I will have a good mess around. Hopefully I
will advance to something more complicated later.