Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wiered question about wireless networking

Wiered question about wireless networking

=?Utf-8?B?TmVv?=

Ok..I need some help. I have a cable modem connected to my microsoft wireless
router in my basement. Its a stand alone router as I don't have any computer
in my basement. I have 3 computers in my study and I cannot run the wire from
basement.

How can I connect all 3 computers to internet without making a investment on
buying wireless network card for all computers. Is there anything that I can
hook it up in my study and it is connected with my wireless device and then I
can connect all my computers to this device through cat 5.

Please suggest me as I am out of ideas.

Thanx

Jack

Hi
The solution entails buying a Group Bridge (which is basically a Driverless
Wireless client).

You plug the Bridge and the computers (via cable) to a switch configure and
done.

However the price of a Group Bridge Switch and cables will be more than then
to buy 3 Wireless cards on sale.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Neo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok..I need some help. I have a cable modem connected to my microsoft

wireless
> router in my basement. Its a stand alone router as I don't have any

computer
> in my basement. I have 3 computers in my study and I cannot run the wire

from
> basement.
>
> How can I connect all 3 computers to internet without making a investment

on
> buying wireless network card for all computers. Is there anything that I

can
> hook it up in my study and it is connected with my wireless device and

then I
> can connect all my computers to this device through cat 5.
>
> Please suggest me as I am out of ideas.
>
> Thanx

DLink Guru

Actually all you need to do is buy a simple Hub to wire your 4 computers in
your study together and a Wireless AP that be used to bridge your Wireless
router and your LAN together. But I would say it would be alot easier to
just go buy 4 USB Nics for about $35.00 ea and set it up.

Robert.....
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> The solution entails buying a Group Bridge (which is basically a
> Driverless
> Wireless client).
>
> You plug the Bridge and the computers (via cable) to a switch configure
> and
> done.
>
> However the price of a Group Bridge Switch and cables will be more than
> then
> to buy 3 Wireless cards on sale.
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "Neo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ok..I need some help. I have a cable modem connected to my microsoft

> wireless
>> router in my basement. Its a stand alone router as I don't have any

> computer
>> in my basement. I have 3 computers in my study and I cannot run the wire

> from
>> basement.
>>
>> How can I connect all 3 computers to internet without making a investment

> on
>> buying wireless network card for all computers. Is there anything that I

> can
>> hook it up in my study and it is connected with my wireless device and

> then I
>> can connect all my computers to this device through cat 5.
>>
>> Please suggest me as I am out of ideas.
>>
>> Thanx

Jack

Hi

"DLink Guru" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Actually all you need to do is buy a simple Hub to wire your 4 computers

in
> your study together and a Wireless AP that be used to bridge your Wireless
> router and your LAN together. But I would say it would be alot easier to
> just go buy 4 USB Nics for about $35.00 ea and set it up.

In order to avoid confusion, I wonder in what way the above is different
from my early post?

1. It almost impossible to find Hubs any more, and when you find one it
cost the same as a switch and I am sure that you are aware that Switch is
better than Hub.

2. An Access Point that can be configured as a Client is the same as Group
Bridge, and prices are the same.

3. USB Wireless Client (with is the right name for USB NICs) can be found on
sales for $20 per unit.

If you have to pay $35 per USB you probably better of with Switch and a
Group Bridge (or Client Access Point).

Why?

Using Switch and CAT5e (network cable) the LAN traffic would be on a "Speed"
of 100Mb/sec. Using Wireless Clients on all computers will restricted LAN
traffic to what ever the Wireless is Capable (which is less than wired
Network).

Jack (MVP-Networking).

DLink Guru

Why does it confuse you, I never said my post was better and I dont have to
not post just because you already did.

I dont know where you shop that Hubs are hard to find, My local Fry's has
only about 200 actual HUBs on the shelf. A switch is no better then a HUB in
a small home network and could have some confusing options to people who
have no experience in networking.

I gave him the easiest solution for someone who has no or little experience
in networking and wanting to keep his setup the way he has it, IMHO.

To me, and this shows how inexperienced or stubborn the OP is, the easiest
solution is to move the modem and router into the study and wire a HUB to
the router. There has to be a phone line there.

As for the USB NICs price, I was giving worst price. If you goto the store
and find what you are looking for at a $20.00 price and refuse to buy it
because some one on the internet said it should cost $35.00, well let me
wipe the drool from your face and put your helmet back on.

Robert...

news:(E-Mail Removed)...