Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > ISPs network status pages, why have them?

ISPs network status pages, why have them?

Vista

Why do many ISPs bother having these as they don't seem to use them.

Xtra had problems a few weeks ago, and didn't list the problems on their
page until a few days after they occured.
Slingshot have had problems today and yesterday, and also have not bothered
to update their status page. Slingshots page says Last updated: Tuesday, 16
May 2006, 09:09

If these companies simply used their status pages, they would save money on
phone calls and annoyed customers.

Chris Hope

Vista wrote:

> Why do many ISPs bother having these as they don't seem to use them.
>
> Xtra had problems a few weeks ago, and didn't list the problems on
> their page until a few days after they occured.
> Slingshot have had problems today and yesterday, and also have not
> bothered to update their status page. Slingshots page says Last
> updated: Tuesday, 16 May 2006, 09:09
>
> If these companies simply used their status pages, they would save
> money on phone calls and annoyed customers.

Shame you can't access the network status page when your connection is
down though

aum

On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 13:04:54 +1200, Vista wrote:

> Why do many ISPs bother having these as they don't seem to use them.

Good point. There's no need for a 'network status' page.

1. If you can access the ISP's homepage, the network is up. If you can't,
the network is down and will be fixed 'real soon now'

Alternatively:

2. If you ring the helldesk and can reach the phone menu system, the
network is up. If repeated calls give an 'engaged' signal, the
network is down and will be fixed 'real soon now'.

--

Cheers
aum

Peter Huebner

> Shame you can't access the network status page when your connection is
> down though

LOL - too true. Then again, I've been able to make use of it when, for
instance, international connectivity was down due to a dos attack ...
and I see my ISP currently has authentication problems that "telecom is
working on" without an ETA - which explains why I had no internet last night
from some time after 18:00 til some time after 02:00.
No need to tie up the support lines, no need to waste my time on the phone
either.

-P.

Vista

"Chris Hope" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Vista wrote:
>
>> Why do many ISPs bother having these as they don't seem to use them.
>>
>> Xtra had problems a few weeks ago, and didn't list the problems on
>> their page until a few days after they occured.
>> Slingshot have had problems today and yesterday, and also have not
>> bothered to update their status page. Slingshots page says Last
>> updated: Tuesday, 16 May 2006, 09:09
>>
>> If these companies simply used their status pages, they would save
>> money on phone calls and annoyed customers.

> Shame you can't access the network status page when your connection is
> down though
>
> --
> Chris Hope | www.electrictoolbox.com | www.linuxcdmall.com

Can still access it via dial up, but I see your point. Interesting thing is
that they now reprt a problem on the phone network status, but their website
is still not reporting a problem. O well, if they don't mind covering the
cost of cell phone calls to their phone help number.

Chris Lim

aum wrote:
> Good point. There's no need for a 'network status' page.
>
> 1. If you can access the ISP's homepage, the network is up. If you can't,
> the network is down and will be fixed 'real soon now'
>
> Alternatively:
>
> 2. If you ring the helldesk and can reach the phone menu system, the
> network is up. If repeated calls give an 'engaged' signal, the
> network is down and will be fixed 'real soon now'.

Yeah but it's useful to know if the problem is global or just you
(saves spending lots of time rebooting the modem and double-checking
settings!), and also if there is an ETA on the fix. Also sometimes
there are problems where traffic just slows down, again it's useful to
know whether it's your problem or not. I like Orcon's TXT service which
is great if you can't get online to access the network status page.

Chris