Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > I need a suggestion (this is one for the Linux geeks...)

I need a suggestion (this is one for the Linux geeks...)

BTMO

I have an old PC I want to set up at home for the kids to access the net on,
and I can't be arsed paying for an OS for it, so I am willing to give Linux
a go.

Can anyone suggest a good place to download a copy of a nice, easy to
install version?

To complicate things - they want to use MSN Messenger on it, and one of them
has an iPod...

Over to you!

Cheers,

Brenton

EMB

BTMO wrote:
> I have an old PC I want to set up at home for the kids to access the net on,
> and I can't be arsed paying for an OS for it, so I am willing to give Linux
> a go.
>
> Can anyone suggest a good place to download a copy of a nice, easy to
> install version?
>
> To complicate things - they want to use MSN Messenger on it, and one of them
> has an iPod...
>
> Over to you!

Trade the kids in on a mistress

--
EMB

Bruce Hoult

In article <44759da0$(E-Mail Removed)>, "BTMO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have an old PC I want to set up at home for the kids to access the net on,
> and I can't be arsed paying for an OS for it, so I am willing to give Linux
> a go.
>
> Can anyone suggest a good place to download a copy of a nice, easy to
> install version?
>
> To complicate things - they want to use MSN Messenger on it, and one of them
> has an iPod...
>
> Over to you!

Put the latest kubuntu on it. Amarok can handle the iPod, konversation
can handle MSN.

Email http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) and say I sent you and I'm sure she'll send you a CD.

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

Adam

On Fri, 26 May 2006 00:28:44 +1200, Bruce Hoult wrote:

>In article <44759da0$(E-Mail Removed)>, "BTMO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I have an old PC I want to set up at home for the kids to access the net on,
>> and I can't be arsed paying for an OS for it, so I am willing to give Linux
>> a go.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest a good place to download a copy of a nice, easy to
>> install version?
>>
>> To complicate things - they want to use MSN Messenger on it, and one of them
>> has an iPod...
>>
>> Over to you!
>>

>Put the latest kubuntu on it. Amarok can handle the iPod, konversation
>can handle MSN.
>
>Email (E-Mail Removed) and say I sent you and I'm sure she'll send you a CD.

I'd wait a week or so ... new version of Ubuntu is on its way ...

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Adam.

shannon

BTMO wrote:
> I have an old PC I want to set up at home for the kids to access the net on,
> and I can't be arsed paying for an OS for it, so I am willing to give Linux
> a go.
>
> Can anyone suggest a good place to download a copy of a nice, easy to
> install version?
>
> To complicate things - they want to use MSN Messenger on it, and one of them
> has an iPod...
>
> Over to you!
>

> Cheers,
>
> Brenton

Ask on a linux friendly group, you'll just get flamed by arseholes here.
As you are in Wellington, pop along to the linux user group meeting at
LAN place in Eagle House (same building as Ascent) and someone will give
you some CDs and probably install it for you if you bring the box.
http://www.wellylug.org.nz/

Jerry

shannon wrote:
> BTMO wrote:
>
>> I have an old PC I want to set up at home for the kids to access the
>> net on, and I can't be arsed paying for an OS for it, so I am willing
>> to give Linux a go.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest a good place to download a copy of a nice, easy to
>> install version?
>>
>> To complicate things - they want to use MSN Messenger on it, and one
>> of them has an iPod...
>>
>> Over to you!
>>

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Brenton
>>

> Ask on a linux friendly group, you'll just get flamed by arseholes here.

Really? I see helpful responses, but where are your flames?

shannon

Jerry wrote:
> shannon wrote:
>> BTMO wrote:
>>
>>> I have an old PC I want to set up at home for the kids to access the
>>> net on, and I can't be arsed paying for an OS for it, so I am willing
>>> to give Linux a go.
>>>
>>> Can anyone suggest a good place to download a copy of a nice, easy to
>>> install version?
>>>
>>> To complicate things - they want to use MSN Messenger on it, and one
>>> of them has an iPod...
>>>
>>> Over to you!
>>>

>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Brenton
>>>

>> Ask on a linux friendly group, you'll just get flamed by arseholes here.

> Really? I see helpful responses, but where are your flames?

sheepshit and his mate jennings seemingly never fail to add a sour note
to any thread involving linux

BTMO

"EMB" <> wrote

>> To complicate things - they want to use MSN Messenger on it, and one of
>> them has an iPod...
>>
>> Over to you!
>>

> Trade the kids in on a mistress

Hmmm.. ask a technical question, get an intriguing answer...

I like the way you think, young man!!!!

BTMO

"shannon" <> wrote in

> Ask on a linux friendly group, you'll just get flamed by arseholes here.
> As you are in Wellington, pop along to the linux user group meeting at LAN
> place in Eagle House (same building as Ascent) and someone will give you
> some CDs and probably install it for you if you bring the box.
> http://www.wellylug.org.nz/

LOL!!!

Thanks for that!

I will just download it. The last thing I want is a bunch of Linux geeks
trying make friends with me...

Cheers,

Brenton

BTMO

"Bruce Hoult" <> wrote

> Put the latest kubuntu on it. Amarok can handle the iPod, konversation
> can handle MSN.
>
> Email (E-Mail Removed) and say I sent you and I'm sure she'll send you a CD.

Thanks for that Bruce!

However, I am off of the Telecon Nowork entirely now, and "broadband"
actually means something again. I will just download it...

Cheers,

Brenton