Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Can you save a Java Home loan calulator applet that pops up off a site? if so how?

Can you save a Java Home loan calulator applet that pops up off a site? if so how?

Southern Kiwi

-- Cheers
Southern Kiwi
southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com
not as old....or mystic......or wise....or high...

Daniel

Southern Kiwi wrote:

Well, the classes can get cached...

What's the URL?

Barry Phease

On Sat, 20 May 2006 16:28:55 +1200, Southern Kiwi wrote:

You can get the source for the web page. That will show you the url for
the applet to save. It will already be cached somewhere on your computer.

You will need to rewrite the html (or use an applet viewer) to access the
local version.

Be aware that the applet may communicate with a back end program on the
server, which may not work from a browser if you change to use it locally.

--
Barry Phease

(E-Mail Removed)
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~barryp

I'm A Trampoline

Southern Kiwi wrote:

> Can you save a Java Home loan calculator applet that pops up off a
> site? if so how?

If it's a simple home loan calculator (like Kiwibank's for example), you
can just do up something in a spreadsheet that achieves the exact same
figures.

For example (sorry if you're a spreadsheet whiz and know this), here's
how to do two different loan calculations in Excel:

What your repayments will be based on how the other variables:
=PMT(Rate, Nper, Pv)

The amount you can potentially borrow based on the other variables:
=PV(Rate, Nper, Pmt)

Rate is the interest rate per payment period. That's your interest rate
per annum cell *divided* by your periods per annum cell (which would be
on either 12, 26, or 52).

Nper is the total number of payment periods. That's your periods per
annum cell *multiplied* by your total years cell (which would usually be
on either 25, or 30).

Pv is your amount borrowed cell (it means Present Value IIRC).

Pmt is your weekly/fortnightly/monthly repayment cell (set to what you
can afford).

Those functions will both give you negative values, if that annoys you,
do =0-[one of the two functions].

-=rjh=-

I'm A Trampoline wrote:
> Southern Kiwi wrote:
> >
> > Can you save a Java Home loan calculator applet that pops up off a
> > site? if so how?

> If it's a simple home loan calculator (like Kiwibank's for example), you
> can just do up something in a spreadsheet that achieves the exact same
> figures.

I figure the OP has some reason for wanting to use a browser to do this,
rather than a spreadsheet (seems strange) but anyway, no reason not to I
guess. More people are familiar with browsers than with spreadsheets anyway.

There are heaps of free calculator templates around for Calc and Excel,
so you don't really have to know much about spreadsheets to get started,
although a lot of people don't know how spreadsheets work, having never
needed to use them.

Also, instead of using a java app, a javascript would be all that is
required, and again, there are heaps of free examples on the net. Or
save any online working page with a calculator on it to Firefox's
Scrapbook, and work it from there. Or save the page locally as normal.

The Kiwibank example you give has the entire calculator in javascript in
the page source (pretty generous, really) so it should be a doddle to
use it from there. The javascript calculator is a lot more complex than
most people will be bothered with if building a spreadsheet, even though
the interface looks simple. It is also fast. I'd say it is a good
example as it works offline with no messing around.

John in Surrey

On Sun, 21 May 2006 09:03:31 +1200, Barry Phease <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

You could create your own one in excel using IPMT & PPMT functions
Images of home (NZ)
http://www.titahi-bay.co.nz/home
What we are up to in the UK
http://www.titahi-bay.co.nz