Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Mozilla unreadable for one user

Mozilla unreadable for one user

Eric Stevens

One of my computers runs W2000 (SP4) and has me as Administrator and
my wife as a separate user. Something has recently put a hex on the
computer.

Mozilla works perfectly well for me but 90% of the characters
displayed for my wife are wrong - everything from graphic symbols to
fractions. Even the 'Help' pages come up garbage.

I've looked through all the settings I can think of but they all look
OK to me. I've tried deleting my wife's Mozilla account altogether and
then setting her up as a new user, but that made no difference. I've
tried deleting her as a user of the computer and then setting her up
again. That also meant I had to create a new account for her on
Mozilla. Still the problem remains.

I would be grateful if someone could tell me what I've missed. Have I
overlooked a setting, or are there files I should have deleted before
setting up a new account for her. Any suggestions will be most
gratefully received.

Eric Stevens

Mike Dee

On Fri, 19 May 2006 13:36:34 +1200, Eric Stevens wrote:

> I would be grateful if someone could tell me what I've missed. Have I
> overlooked a setting, or are there files I should have deleted before
> setting up a new account for her. Any suggestions will be most
> gratefully received.

Try deleting her Profile(s), then recreate her account.

Hints on locating this:

<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder>

Also see:
http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.5/faq/profile.html

--
dee

Jasen Betts

On 2006-05-19, Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I would be grateful if someone could tell me what I've missed. Have I
> overlooked a setting, or are there files I should have deleted before
> setting up a new account for her. Any suggestions will be most
> gratefully received.

what language setting is she using?

--

Bye.
Jasen

Eric Stevens

On Fri, 19 May 2006 18:31:34 +1000, Mike Dee <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Fri, 19 May 2006 13:36:34 +1200, Eric Stevens wrote:
>
>> I would be grateful if someone could tell me what I've missed. Have I
>> overlooked a setting, or are there files I should have deleted before
>> setting up a new account for her. Any suggestions will be most
>> gratefully received.

>Try deleting her Profile(s), then recreate her account.
>
>Hints on locating this:
>
><http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder>
>
>Also see:
>http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.5/faq/profile.html

I've gone as far as deleting her account and then deleting all
files/folders associated with her before opening a new account in her
name. I ended up with the same result.

I have also tried opening up a new Mozilla account in the name of our
cat, and got exactly the same result. Yet the account created in my
name works perfectly well. Something fundamental beyond my
comprehension is going on.

My next try will entail removing every scrap of Mozilla from the
computer (including the registry) and then trying a fresh install.
BGut before I do that I would like to hear whether or not somebody has
a bright idea about what might be going on.

.... and yes, I have checked all the font and language settings and
they all seem OK.

Eric Stevens

Jasen Betts

> I've gone as far as deleting her account and then deleting all
> files/folders associated with her before opening a new account in her
> name. I ended up with the same result.
>
> I have also tried opening up a new Mozilla account in the name of our
> cat, and got exactly the same result. Yet the account created in my
> name works perfectly well. Something fundamental beyond my
> comprehension is going on.
>
> My next try will entail removing every scrap of Mozilla from the
> computer (including the registry) and then trying a fresh install.
> BGut before I do that I would like to hear whether or not somebody has
> a bright idea about what might be going on.
>
> ... and yes, I have checked all the font and language settings and
> they all seem OK.

I solved the opposite problem today - print was coming out in the wrong
font (msbm10 - mathematical symbols).

What I did was go into preferecces-appearance-fonts and there
ensure that all the fonts selected were ones that were actually
installed (rather than vauge names like serif or sans-serif)

To help me in this I had a word processor open

--

Bye.
Jasen

Eric Stevens

On Sun, 21 May 2006 09:57:01 -0000, Jasen Betts <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> I've gone as far as deleting her account and then deleting all
>> files/folders associated with her before opening a new account in her
>> name. I ended up with the same result.
>>
>> I have also tried opening up a new Mozilla account in the name of our
>> cat, and got exactly the same result. Yet the account created in my
>> name works perfectly well. Something fundamental beyond my
>> comprehension is going on.
>>
>> My next try will entail removing every scrap of Mozilla from the
>> computer (including the registry) and then trying a fresh install.
>> BGut before I do that I would like to hear whether or not somebody has
>> a bright idea about what might be going on.
>>
>> ... and yes, I have checked all the font and language settings and
>> they all seem OK.

>I solved the opposite problem today - print was coming out in the wrong
>font (msbm10 - mathematical symbols).
>
>What I did was go into preferecces-appearance-fonts and there
>ensure that all the fonts selected were ones that were actually
>installed (rather than vauge names like serif or sans-serif)
>
>To help me in this I had a word processor open

That's a good idea but it can't be the problem in my case. If it was,
the Administrator's account would be gibberish also, but its fine.

Eric Stevens

Mike Dee

Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> That's a good idea but it can't be the problem in my case. If it
> was, the Administrator's account would be gibberish also, but its
> fine.

Are you actually deleting her Profile before reinstalling Mozilla?

In Win2000/XP this is a hidden folder unless you change your
settings to Show hidden files\folders (Folder Options setting).

Her Profile is located in:

C:\Documents and Settings\<Windows login/username>\Application Data
\Mozilla\Profiles\<Profile Name (usually "default")>\********.slt

You can also find it by going to "Start" menu, "Run" and enter
%APPDATA% which brings up the Application Data folder.

--
dee

Eric Stevens

On 26 May 2006 01:49:30 +0200, Mike Dee <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> That's a good idea but it can't be the problem in my case. If it
>> was, the Administrator's account would be gibberish also, but its
>> fine.

>Are you actually deleting her Profile before reinstalling Mozilla?
>
>In Win2000/XP this is a hidden folder unless you change your
>settings to Show hidden files\folders (Folder Options setting).
>
>Her Profile is located in:
>
>C:\Documents and Settings\<Windows login/username>\Application Data
>\Mozilla\Profiles\<Profile Name (usually "default")>\********.slt
>
>You can also find it by going to "Start" menu, "Run" and enter
>%APPDATA% which brings up the Application Data folder.

Entire Mozilla\Profiles taken out in anticipation of this kind of
problem

Eric Stevens