Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Laptop DVD player stuttering

Reply
Thread Tools

Laptop DVD player stuttering

 
 
Southern Kiwi
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-18-2006

Compaq Presario v2000, XP, all patches etc.

Stutters using Intervideo and media player, symptoms are an echo of sound
and jerky video, CPU seems to be running near 100%

Used to play fine, various updates, patches and programs loaded since last
time I used it.


Any ideas where to start?



--
-- Cheers
Southern Kiwi
southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com
Word of wisdom from high in the mountains....you know...like a Guru...but
not as old....or mystic......or wise....or high...


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dave Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-18-2006
"Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Any ideas where to start?


Shift, Control, Escape.


--
Ciao, Dave
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dave Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-18-2006
Dave Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Xns97C7C94D072Ddaveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37 .6:

>> Any ideas where to start?

>
> Shift, Control, Escape.
>


Then you could try "Media Player Classic" from Sourceforge and see if it
still has issues.
Next is spyware.
Superantispyware.com seems to be new and good...

--
Ciao, Dave
 
Reply With Quote
 
XPD
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-18-2006

"Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Compaq Presario v2000, XP, all patches etc.
>
> Stutters using Intervideo and media player, symptoms are an echo of sound
> and jerky video, CPU seems to be running near 100%
>
> Used to play fine, various updates, patches and programs loaded since last
> time I used it.


Saw something similar mentioned in a magazine a while ago... something to do
with Windows/IE scrolling that can cause that sort of effect...Ill see if I
cna find the article.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Kristofer Clayton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-18-2006
On Thu, 18 May 2006 18:27:50 +1200, "Southern Kiwi"
<southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote:

>
>Compaq Presario v2000, XP, all patches etc.
>
>Stutters using Intervideo and media player, symptoms are an echo of sound
>and jerky video, CPU seems to be running near 100%


Could be graphics driver issue etc, but you may also want to check
that DMA is enabled on your DVD-ROM drive. If Windows has had any
issues with the drive in the past, it can often disable DMA to work
around this.. this will mean all requests have to go via the CPU which
can cause the 100% processor usage that you're getting. To check if
DMA is off, go into Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager,
find your IDE Controller and see if it's Secondary IDE Controller has
DMA or PIO mode. (This procedure varies depending on brand/type of
controller, you may have to look around once you get to this section)

You can use the following support pages to help you:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;310751
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=817472 (try the 'workaround'
section)

You can either attempt to switch the setting to DMA mode, or delete
the Secondary IDE Controller and let the computer rebuild it on the
next restart.
--
Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
Gisborne, New Zealand
 
Reply With Quote
 
Southern Kiwi
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-18-2006
"Dave Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns97C7C9B41989Cdaveytaynospamplshot@203.97.3 7.6...
> Dave Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:Xns97C7C94D072Ddaveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37 .6:
>
>>> Any ideas where to start?

>> Shift, Control, Escape.

>
> Then you could try "Media Player Classic" from Sourceforge and see if it
> still has issues.
> Next is spyware.
> Superantispyware.com seems to be new and good...
> Ciao, Dave


Checked Task manager, nothing strange, both spywares and 1 virus scanner
report nothing, ran reg cleaner, nothing strange.

I ripped the dvd to the hard drive and it played OK, makes me think it is a
DVDRW that has the issues, checked DMA, it's set to use when available, will
reinstall drivers etc for it and see how I get on.

Cheers
Southern Kiwi


 
Reply With Quote
 
Southern Kiwi
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-18-2006
"Kristofer Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 18 May 2006 18:27:50 +1200, "Southern Kiwi"
> <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>Compaq Presario v2000, XP, all patches etc.
>>Stutters using Intervideo and media player, symptoms are an echo of sound
>>and jerky video, CPU seems to be running near 100%

>
> Could be graphics driver issue etc, but you may also want to check
> that DMA is enabled on your DVD-ROM drive. If Windows has had any
> issues with the drive in the past, it can often disable DMA to work
> around this.. this will mean all requests have to go via the CPU which
> can cause the 100% processor usage that you're getting. To check if
> DMA is off, go into Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager,
> find your IDE Controller and see if it's Secondary IDE Controller has
> DMA or PIO mode. (This procedure varies depending on brand/type of
> controller, you may have to look around once you get to this section)
>
> You can use the following support pages to help you:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;310751
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=817472 (try the 'workaround'
> section)
>
> You can either attempt to switch the setting to DMA mode, or delete
> the Secondary IDE Controller and let the computer rebuild it on the
> next restart.
> --
> Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
> Gisborne, New Zealand


Thanx Kristofer, working through your suggestions, will post back how I get
on.

Cheers
Southern Kiwi


 
Reply With Quote
 
Southern Kiwi
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-18-2006
FYI

Thanx to Krisopher for this suggestion

Deleted the Secondary IDE Controller and let the computer rebuild it on the
next restart.
Was forced to PIO mode sometime, couldn't change setting in control panel.
Now working fine again

Cheers
Southern Kiwi








"Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Compaq Presario v2000, XP, all patches etc.
>
> Stutters using Intervideo and media player, symptoms are an echo of sound
> and jerky video, CPU seems to be running near 100%
>
> Used to play fine, various updates, patches and programs loaded since last
> time I used it.
>
>
> Any ideas where to start?
>
>
>
> --
> -- Cheers
> Southern Kiwi
> southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com
> Word of wisdom from high in the mountains....you know...like a Guru...but
> not as old....or mystic......or wise....or high...
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Kent Smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-18-2006

"Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Kristofer Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Thu, 18 May 2006 18:27:50 +1200, "Southern Kiwi"
>> <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>Compaq Presario v2000, XP, all patches etc.
>>>Stutters using Intervideo and media player, symptoms are an echo of sound
>>>and jerky video, CPU seems to be running near 100%

>>
>> Could be graphics driver issue etc, but you may also want to check
>> that DMA is enabled on your DVD-ROM drive. If Windows has had any
>> issues with the drive in the past, it can often disable DMA to work
>> around this.. this will mean all requests have to go via the CPU which
>> can cause the 100% processor usage that you're getting. To check if
>> DMA is off, go into Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager,
>> find your IDE Controller and see if it's Secondary IDE Controller has
>> DMA or PIO mode. (This procedure varies depending on brand/type of
>> controller, you may have to look around once you get to this section)
>>
>> You can use the following support pages to help you:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;310751
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=817472 (try the 'workaround'
>> section)
>>
>> You can either attempt to switch the setting to DMA mode, or delete
>> the Secondary IDE Controller and let the computer rebuild it on the
>> next restart.
>> --
>> Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
>> Gisborne, New Zealand

>
> Thanx Kristofer, working through your suggestions, will post back how I
> get on.
>

Also, try disabling your realtime virus checker/active desktop scanner
thing. I've had some problems with DVD-Region-Free application causing
video playback problems previously too. Don't know if you use this though.



-KENT


 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-19-2006
"Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Checked Task manager, nothing strange, both spywares and 1 virus
> scanner report nothing, ran reg cleaner, nothing strange.
>
> I ripped the dvd to the hard drive and it played OK, makes me think it
> is a DVDRW that has the issues, checked DMA, it's set to use when
> available, will reinstall drivers etc for it and see how I get on.
>
> Cheers
> Southern Kiwi
>
>
>


Could be a media that the player does not like?
Sometimes there are firmware patches for that.
You could also try a linux live CD or something like that (parallel
install?) to eliminate the os as the cause?

--
Ciao, Dave
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows media player stuttering. David Day Computer Support 1 03-10-2005 07:05 PM
Stuttering Audio and Video on Win XP !!!!!!!!4 me 2 know!!!!!!! Computer Support 2 01-13-2005 11:58 AM
System Stuttering. Rv! Computer Information 5 08-11-2004 08:40 PM
DVD Stuttering and pausing David Geesaman DVD Video 8 11-18-2003 12:30 PM



Advertisments