Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > start Prog A then B

start Prog A then B

Mr fake

Hi..

I'd like a few things to happen automatically when a computer power is
turned on. Theres two programs.... program A and program B. These two
programs need Windows XP to run.

Heres what I need to happen.

1)
Person turns on power to computer

2)
Windows XP starts up

3)
Program A starts up and sends some important data to some hardware.

4)
a small delay OR wait here untill program A has loaded completly

5)
Close program A

6)
Start program B

7)
Computer remains on untill person shuts down Windows & computer.

Any ideas???? thanks...
Tane M

Real email t a n e @ m u g w h y - d o t - c o m

Peter Huebner

In article <1147780542.748314@athnrd02>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Hi..
>
> I'd like a few things to happen automatically when a computer power is
> turned on. Theres two programs.... program A and program B. These two
> programs need Windows XP to run.
>

> Heres what I need to happen.
>
> 1)
> Person turns on power to computer
>
> 2)
> Windows XP starts up
>
> 3)
> Program A starts up and sends some important data to some hardware.
>
> 4)
> a small delay OR wait here untill program A has loaded completly
>
> 5)
> Close program A
>
> 6)
> Start program B
>
> 7)
> Computer remains on untill person shuts down Windows & computer.
>
> Any ideas???? thanks...
> Tane M
>
> Real email t a n e @ m u g w h y - d o t - c o m

Can be done. You need to find a Delphi or C programmer who will write a program
for you that does this. The program starts your proggy A, fields the output and
does the data transaction, then shuts down your proggy A and starts B. I've
done something very similar a number of years back but I'd spend a week or so
retrieving the know-how, and I don't have the time at the moment in any event.

h.t.h. -Peter

JohnO

Peter Huebner wrote:
> In article <1147780542.748314@athnrd02>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > Hi..
> >
> > I'd like a few things to happen automatically when a computer power is
> > turned on. Theres two programs.... program A and program B. These two
> > programs need Windows XP to run.
> >

> > Heres what I need to happen.
> >
> > 1)
> > Person turns on power to computer
> >
> > 2)
> > Windows XP starts up
> >
> > 3)
> > Program A starts up and sends some important data to some hardware.
> >
> > 4)
> > a small delay OR wait here untill program A has loaded completly
> >
> > 5)
> > Close program A
> >
> > 6)
> > Start program B
> >
> > 7)
> > Computer remains on untill person shuts down Windows & computer.
> >
> > Any ideas???? thanks...
> > Tane M
> >
> > Real email t a n e @ m u g w h y - d o t - c o m
> >

> Can be done. You need to find a Delphi or C programmer who will write a program
> for you that does this. The program starts your proggy A, fields the output and
> does the data transaction, then shuts down your proggy A and starts B. I've
> done something very similar a number of years back but I'd spend a week or so
> retrieving the know-how, and I don't have the time at the moment in any event.
>
> h.t.h. -Peter

> firstname dot lastname at gmail fullstop com

No need for a comiled program - these sort of things are best done with
a simple batch or vbs script.

Shane

JohnO wrote:

> Peter Huebner wrote:
>> In article <1147780542.748314@athnrd02>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> > Hi..
>> >
>> > I'd like a few things to happen automatically when a computer power is
>> > turned on. Theres two programs.... program A and program B. These two
>> > programs need Windows XP to run.
>> >

>> > Heres what I need to happen.
>> >
>> > 1)
>> > Person turns on power to computer
>> >
>> > 2)
>> > Windows XP starts up
>> >
>> > 3)
>> > Program A starts up and sends some important data to some hardware.
>> >
>> > 4)
>> > a small delay OR wait here untill program A has loaded completly
>> >
>> > 5)
>> > Close program A
>> >
>> > 6)
>> > Start program B
>> >
>> > 7)
>> > Computer remains on untill person shuts down Windows & computer.
>> >
>> > Any ideas???? thanks...
>> > Tane M
>> >
>> > Real email t a n e @ m u g w h y - d o t - c o m
>> >

>> Can be done. You need to find a Delphi or C programmer who will write a
>> program for you that does this. The program starts your proggy A, fields
>> the output and does the data transaction, then shuts down your proggy A
>> and starts B. I've done something very similar a number of years back but
>> I'd spend a week or so retrieving the know-how, and I don't have the time
>> at the moment in any event.
>>
>> h.t.h. -Peter
>>

>> --
>> firstname dot lastname at gmail fullstop com

> No need for a comiled program - these sort of things are best done with
> a simple batch or vbs script.

will task scheduler run scripts at a certain point after boot, or only at
certain times of the day?

--
Rule 6: There is no rule 6

JohnO

Shane wrote:
> JohnO wrote:
>

> > Peter Huebner wrote:
> >> In article <1147780542.748314@athnrd02>, (E-Mail Removed) says...

> >> Can be done. You need to find a Delphi or C programmer who will write a
> >> program for you that does this. The program starts your proggy A, fields
> >> the output and does the data transaction, then shuts down your proggy A
> >> and starts B. I've done something very similar a number of years back but
> >> I'd spend a week or so retrieving the know-how, and I don't have the time
> >> at the moment in any event.
> >>
> >> h.t.h. -Peter
> >>

> >> --
> >> =========================================
> >> firstname dot lastname at gmail fullstop com

> > No need for a comiled program - these sort of things are best done with
> > a simple batch or vbs script.

> will task scheduler run scripts at a certain point after boot, or only at

Only the latter AFAIK. The OP just needs to set up his script as a
startup job.

Peter Huebner

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>, johno1234
@gmail.com says...

> No need for a comiled program - these sort of things are best done with
> a simple batch or vbs script.

Yes, I hadn't really thought of that (except how I was able to do it directly
in Amiga DOS in the startup script) - probably because I have scripting host
disabled as a matter of course on my Mickey$oft os machines.

Maybe find an implementation of rexx ('dirty' scripting language that was
developed just for this kind of application) that will run under XP?

-Peter

Peter Huebner

http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/rexx/win32/rxusrw32.htm

Seems to have all kinds of rexx goodies!

I'd go with this over vbs any day of the week, not at least for security
reasons (heard of any rexx script hacking attempts lately?) <g>

-P.

Don Hills

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/rexx/win32/rxusrw32.htm
>
>Seems to have all kinds of rexx goodies!
>
>I'd go with this over vbs any day of the week, not at least for security
>reasons (heard of any rexx script hacking attempts lately?) <g>

Second the suggestion. Note that thee are several free REXX interpreters
available for Windows (and Linux and others), including the big one - Open
Object REXX, developed (and originally sold) by IBM and recently released as
an Open Source project (see sourceforge.net). If you're more comfortable
with Pascal than C, you'll probably prefer REXX over Perl.

preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"