Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows 98 with missing win.com?

Reply
Thread Tools

Windows 98 with missing win.com?

 
 
Mark C
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-15-2006
What happens on Windows 98 if win.com is missing?

I hope you get a command.com prompt, and can fix it?

Can you CTRL+Key out of the Windows boot and run a DOS prompt before
Windows proper boots?

Thanks,
Tony

*** Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com ***
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
GraB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-15-2006
On 15 May 2006 01:17:13 GMT, Mark C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What happens on Windows 98 if win.com is missing?
>
>I hope you get a command.com prompt, and can fix it?
>
>Can you CTRL+Key out of the Windows boot and run a DOS prompt before
>Windows proper boots?
>
>Thanks,
>Tony
>
>*** Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com ***


Should be able to. I have the functions keys always available and
boot menu visible. You can set this with TweakUI. Or F8 (?) when it
boots.

Win98 or 98 SE Setup cd-rom:

EXTRACT D:\WIN98\WIN98_25.CAB WIN.CNF

Substitute the cd-rom/floppy drive letters with yours if different.
Now run this command from the folder where WIN.CNF resides:

COPY /Y WIN.CNF C:\WINDOWS\WIN.COM


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
impossible
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-15-2006
"Mark C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4467d699$0$29324$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> What happens on Windows 98 if win.com is missing?
>
> I hope you get a command.com prompt, and can fix it?
>
> Can you CTRL+Key out of the Windows boot and run a DOS prompt before
> Windows proper boots?
>


Yes, assuming you have access to your installation disk, you can fix
it from a DOS prompt.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=136630


 
Reply With Quote
 
SchoolTech
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-18-2006
GraB wrote:
> On 15 May 2006 01:17:13 GMT, Mark C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> What happens on Windows 98 if win.com is missing?
>>
>> I hope you get a command.com prompt, and can fix it?
>>
>> Can you CTRL+Key out of the Windows boot and run a DOS prompt before
>> Windows proper boots?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Tony
>>
>> *** Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com ***

>
> Should be able to. I have the functions keys always available and
> boot menu visible. You can set this with TweakUI. Or F8 (?) when it
> boots.
>
> Win98 or 98 SE Setup cd-rom:
>
> EXTRACT D:\WIN98\WIN98_25.CAB WIN.CNF
>
> Substitute the cd-rom/floppy drive letters with yours if different.
> Now run this command from the folder where WIN.CNF resides:
>
> COPY /Y WIN.CNF C:\WINDOWS\WIN.COM
>
>

Just install XP
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-18-2006
SchoolTech <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

>>> *** Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com ***

>>
>> Should be able to. I have the functions keys always available and
>> boot menu visible. You can set this with TweakUI. Or F8 (?) when it
>> boots.
>>
>> Win98 or 98 SE Setup cd-rom:
>>
>> EXTRACT D:\WIN98\WIN98_25.CAB WIN.CNF
>>
>> Substitute the cd-rom/floppy drive letters with yours if different.
>> Now run this command from the folder where WIN.CNF resides:
>>
>> COPY /Y WIN.CNF C:\WINDOWS\WIN.COM
>>
>>

> Just install XP
>
>


LOL, Have you tried XP on a P166 with 64 megs of ram?
Come on, 98 boxes should stay 98 "usually"


--
Ciao, Dave
 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert Feigel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-18-2006
On 18 May 2006 19:55:23 +1200, Dave Taylor
<(E-Mail Removed)> magnanimously proffered:

>SchoolTech <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>>>> *** Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com ***
>>>
>>> Should be able to. I have the functions keys always available and
>>> boot menu visible. You can set this with TweakUI. Or F8 (?) when it
>>> boots.
>>>
>>> Win98 or 98 SE Setup cd-rom:
>>>
>>> EXTRACT D:\WIN98\WIN98_25.CAB WIN.CNF
>>>
>>> Substitute the cd-rom/floppy drive letters with yours if different.
>>> Now run this command from the folder where WIN.CNF resides:
>>>
>>> COPY /Y WIN.CNF C:\WINDOWS\WIN.COM
>>>
>>>

>> Just install XP
>>
>>

>
>LOL, Have you tried XP on a P166 with 64 megs of ram?
>Come on, 98 boxes should stay 98 "usually"



Try asking in <microsoft.public.win98.performance>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crystal Reports - Visual Basic UFL that implements this function is missing (or U2lcom.dll is missing) Les Caudle ASP .Net 3 09-03-2007 02:27 AM
Re: missing feature classes and missing fields Gary Herron Python 2 07-04-2006 10:29 PM
WZC missing from windows services directory. =?Utf-8?B?YTlmYw==?= Wireless Networking 7 05-13-2005 02:56 PM
Missing calendar in Windows-Mozilla (but present in Linux version)! Hallvard Tangeraas Firefox 7 09-29-2004 05:41 PM
ASPNET user missing from Windows 2003? Harry Simpson ASP .Net 3 11-20-2003 03:28 PM



Advertisments