Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Is Xtra trying to lose customers?

Is Xtra trying to lose customers?

Rebel Lord

s.te.v.e. wrote:

> Robert Feigel wrote:
>
>> Xtra has been having "issues" with customers' emails since "noon
>> yesterday" and their helpline has been overloaded to the point that
>> they can't handle all the calls. Yet there has not been a word about
>> his on their so-called online status report.

> Xtra have frequently had trouble with customer e-mails.....going back
> years.
>
> Either that or Xtra users, for some inexplicable reason, use the "I never
> got your e-mail!" excuse more than people who use other ISPs.

No believe me they frequently have issues...The email servers have gone
down several times in the year or so I have been with them. Then last night
we were offline totally for 5 and half hours, just not good enough. I have
made the move back to ihug so hopefully that will happen in the next few
days and I can get back to using an isp newsserver again.

Robert Feigel

On Tue, 16 May 2006 14:22:06 +1200, Rebel Lord <(E-Mail Removed)>
magnanimously proffered:

>s.te.v.e. wrote:
>
>> Robert Feigel wrote:
>>
>>> Xtra has been having "issues" with customers' emails since "noon
>>> yesterday" and their helpline has been overloaded to the point that
>>> they can't handle all the calls. Yet there has not been a word about
>>> his on their so-called online status report.

>> Xtra have frequently had trouble with customer e-mails.....going back
>> years.
>>
>> Either that or Xtra users, for some inexplicable reason, use the "I never
>> got your e-mail!" excuse more than people who use other ISPs.

> No believe me they frequently have issues...The email servers have gone
>down several times in the year or so I have been with them. Then last night
>we were offline totally for 5 and half hours, just not good enough. I have
>made the move back to ihug so hopefully that will happen in the next few
>days and I can get back to using an isp newsserver again.

As someone who works with Xtra you may be interested in what the
official line on this is. My original query to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
was asking why what was clearly a major issue not posted on the online
status report. You'll notice that question has not been acknowledged,
let alone answered:

Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 14:31:41 +1200 (GMT)
To: (E-Mail Removed)ed
From: "Xtra Customer Care" <(E-Mail Removed)>
Subject: Online Status Report??????? [Incident: 060515-000903]

Recently you sent us an e-mail. Below is a summary of your request and
our response.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Our Response 16/05/2006 02:31 PM

Dear Bob

Thank you for your email.

I'm sorry that you are having problems sending emails. We are
currently in the process of upgrading the Xtramail email platform in
which a part was being worked on over the weekend and this may have
affected the sending and receiving of emails for a very short time, in
which we apologise if this has caused any problems for you.

We do recommend if you are having problems sending emails with your
email client program, for you to send the emails via Xtramail as an
alternative while the outage is occurring (link
http://xtramail.xtra.co.nz ).

We also recommend that you check your email settings are correct via
http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4127-859002,00.html

Please bear with us while this upgrade is happening and should you
require any additional assistance you are welcome to contact us.

Kind regards

Rich
Service Coordinator
Broadband Online Team
Telecom New Zealand Ltd
Helpdesk 0800 225598
(E-Mail Removed)

Rebel Lord

Robert Feigel wrote:

>> No believe me they frequently have issues...The email servers have gone
>>down several times in the year or so I have been with them. Then last
>>night we were offline totally for 5 and half hours, just not good enough.
>>I have made the move back to ihug so hopefully that will happen in the
>>next few days and I can get back to using an isp newsserver again.

> As someone who works with Xtra you may be interested in what the
> official line on this is. My original query to (E-Mail Removed)
> was asking why what was clearly a major issue not posted on the online
> status report. You'll notice that question has not been acknowledged,
> let alone answered:
>
> Thank you for your email.
>
> I'm sorry that you are having problems sending emails. We are
> currently in the process of upgrading the Xtramail email platform in
> which a part was being worked on over the weekend and this may have
> affected the sending and receiving of emails for a very short time, in
> which we apologise if this has caused any problems for you.
>
> We do recommend if you are having problems sending emails with your
> email client program, for you to send the emails via Xtramail as an
> alternative while the outage is occurring (link
> http://xtramail.xtra.co.nz ).
>
> We also recommend that you check your email settings are correct via
> http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4127-859002,00.html
>
> Please bear with us while this upgrade is happening and should you
> require any additional assistance you are welcome to contact us.
>

> Kind regards

This is complete bullshit as to what happened last night the mail servers
had been playting up from about 3.30pm...then the dns server went down at
about 5.20pm..Like an idiot I rebooted the router, then it was unable to
connect to the intenet until around 10.30pm. Their ability to keep their
customers in the loop has to be abysmal to say the least.

KEY MASTER

"Rebel Lord" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e4bhij$hji$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Robert Feigel wrote:
>

>>> No believe me they frequently have issues...The email servers have gone
>>>down several times in the year or so I have been with them. Then last
>>>night we were offline totally for 5 and half hours, just not good enough.
>>>I have made the move back to ihug so hopefully that will happen in the
>>>next few days and I can get back to using an isp newsserver again.

>> As someone who works with Xtra you may be interested in what the
>> official line on this is. My original query to (E-Mail Removed)
>> was asking why what was clearly a major issue not posted on the online
>> status report. You'll notice that question has not been acknowledged,
>> let alone answered:
>>
>> Thank you for your email.
>>
>> I'm sorry that you are having problems sending emails. We are
>> currently in the process of upgrading the Xtramail email platform in
>> which a part was being worked on over the weekend and this may have
>> affected the sending and receiving of emails for a very short time, in
>> which we apologise if this has caused any problems for you.
>>
>> We do recommend if you are having problems sending emails with your
>> email client program, for you to send the emails via Xtramail as an
>> alternative while the outage is occurring (link
>> http://xtramail.xtra.co.nz ).
>>
>> We also recommend that you check your email settings are correct via
>> http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4127-859002,00.html
>>
>> Please bear with us while this upgrade is happening and should you
>> require any additional assistance you are welcome to contact us.
>>

>> Kind regards

> This is complete bullshit as to what happened last night the mail servers
> had been playting up from about 3.30pm...then the dns server went down at
> about 5.20pm..Like an idiot I rebooted the router, then it was unable to
> connect to the intenet until around 10.30pm. Their ability to keep their
> customers in the loop has to be abysmal to say the least.

According to a radio news item I heard they said that they had had three
problems including a power supply going out. The news item suggested that
Xtra thought they might have been hacked. Now who would bother doing that?

cyoung@radionz.co.nz

Hi,

I'm a journalist with Radio NZ covering Telecom's problems with Xtra.
I'm currently trying to find people who are still having problems
connecting to the internet. Could you please get in touch with me at
(E-Mail Removed) or by phoning 0-9 367 9333.

Thanks,

Conan Young, RNZ

Rebel Lord wrote:
> s.te.v.e. wrote:
>
> > Robert Feigel wrote:
> >
> >> Xtra has been having "issues" with customers' emails since "noon
> >> yesterday" and their helpline has been overloaded to the point that
> >> they can't handle all the calls. Yet there has not been a word about
> >> his on their so-called online status report.

> > Xtra have frequently had trouble with customer e-mails.....going back
> > years.
> >
> > Either that or Xtra users, for some inexplicable reason, use the "I never
> > got your e-mail!" excuse more than people who use other ISPs.

> No believe me they frequently have issues...The email servers have gone
> down several times in the year or so I have been with them. Then last night
> we were offline totally for 5 and half hours, just not good enough. I have
> made the move back to ihug so hopefully that will happen in the next few
> days and I can get back to using an isp newsserver again.

~misfit~

Malcolm wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> Jules Winnfield wrote:
>>> Orcon's DNS servers:
>>>
>>> Primary: 210.55.12.1
>>> Secondary: 210.55.12.2

>> Ok, I'm not a software/OS sort of person.
>>
>> How do you change your DNS server with XP Pro?
>>
>> Thanks.

> Yo!
> Under Network Connections, On the network interface icon right-click
> and select properties. Select Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)->properties
> in the General Tab you can define DNS server, if you hit the advanced
> button and select the DNS tab you can add them to your hearts
> content

Yo back!

Hey, thanks Malcolm. I believe I tried this before but struck a problem.

Ok, just checked. The problem I struck before was, in the "Network
Connections" folder I have "Internet Connection" and "Local Area
Connection". Fool that I am I thought that, as I was dealing with the
internet, I'd have to make any adjustments under "Internet Connection". What
an idiot! This is a MS OS, of course it's under "Local Area Connection". <g>

Thanks Malcolm.
--
Shaun.

Kent Smith

"Rebel Lord" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e4bhij$hji$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Robert Feigel wrote:
>

>>> No believe me they frequently have issues...The email servers have gone
>>>down several times in the year or so I have been with them. Then last
>>>night we were offline totally for 5 and half hours, just not good enough.
>>>I have made the move back to ihug so hopefully that will happen in the
>>>next few days and I can get back to using an isp newsserver again.

>> As someone who works with Xtra you may be interested in what the
>> official line on this is. My original query to (E-Mail Removed)
>> was asking why what was clearly a major issue not posted on the online
>> status report. You'll notice that question has not been acknowledged,
>> let alone answered:
>>
>> Thank you for your email.
>>
>> I'm sorry that you are having problems sending emails. We are
>> currently in the process of upgrading the Xtramail email platform in
>> which a part was being worked on over the weekend and this may have
>> affected the sending and receiving of emails for a very short time, in
>> which we apologise if this has caused any problems for you.
>>
>> We do recommend if you are having problems sending emails with your
>> email client program, for you to send the emails via Xtramail as an
>> alternative while the outage is occurring (link
>> http://xtramail.xtra.co.nz ).
>>
>> We also recommend that you check your email settings are correct via
>> http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4127-859002,00.html
>>
>> Please bear with us while this upgrade is happening and should you
>> require any additional assistance you are welcome to contact us.
>>

>> Kind regards

> This is complete bullshit as to what happened last night the mail servers
> had been playting up from about 3.30pm...then the dns server went down at
> about 5.20pm..Like an idiot I rebooted the router, then it was unable to
> connect to the intenet until around 10.30pm. Their ability to keep their
> customers in the loop has to be abysmal to say the least.

What's the problem? After all, it's just a complimentary service.

-KENT

Shane

Kent Smith wrote:

> What's the problem? After all, it's just a complimentary service.
>

> -KENT

Nobody's complimenting it though

--
Rule 6: There is no rule 6