Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Is Xtra trying to lose customers?

Is Xtra trying to lose customers?

TKKGHCMT

"Nho Whei" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 15 May 2006 21:50:25 +1200, "TKKGHCMT"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >
> >> Looks like their dns server has now died Any kind person can post a
> >> dns server address that I can use?
> >> Lucky I have the ip address of my news server

> >Take your pick.
> >
> >Google "dns" followed by an ISP name (other than Xtra of course).
> >

> Methinks you may not have fully grasped the severity of our present
> difficulties.

Simple fix for me. Have you actually tried?

Peter

TKKGHCMT wrote:
>> Looks like their dns server has now died Any kind person can post a
>> dns server address that I can use?
>> Lucky I have the ip address of my news server

> Take your pick.
> Google "dns" followed by an ISP name (other than Xtra of course).

You might like to try google.co.nz ...
http://66.102.7.99/

(seeing as how the URL won't be any use without a dns)

HTH

Peter

Jules Winnfield

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> TKKGHCMT wrote:
>> "Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> Looks like their dns server has now died Any kind person can post a
>>> dns server address that I can use?
>>> Lucky I have the ip address of my news server

>> Take your pick.
>> Google "dns" followed by an ISP name (other than Xtra of course).

> You might like to try google.co.nz ...
> http://66.102.7.99/
>
> (seeing as how the URL won't be any use without a dns)
>
> HTH
>
> Peter

Thanks. I changed mine to Orcon's in the meantime and all is well

Orcon's DNS servers:

Primary: 210.55.12.1
Secondary: 210.55.12.2

Matty F

Peter wrote:

> TKKGHCMT wrote:
>
>>"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>>>Looks like their dns server has now died Any kind person can post a
>>>dns server address that I can use?
>>>Lucky I have the ip address of my news server

>>Take your pick.
>>Google "dns" followed by an ISP name (other than Xtra of course).

> You might like to try google.co.nz ...
> http://66.102.7.99/
>
> (seeing as how the URL won't be any use without a dns)

Thanks, that is so quick I have made it a bookmark.

Kent Smith

"Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 15 May 2006 16:08:38 +1200, SchoolTech
> <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:
>
>>Robert Feigel wrote:
>>> Xtra has been having "issues" with customers' emails since "noon
>>> yesterday" and their helpline has been overloaded to the point that
>>> they can't handle all the calls. Yet there has not been a word about
>>> his on their so-called online status report.
>>>
>>> After Xtra dropped Usenet in such a cavalier way a friend suggested
>>> that they were actively trying to loose customers so they would not
>>> have to spend any money on increasing capacity. Could this be their
>>> new corporate strategy or is not mentioning this issue on the status
>>> report like the police claiming crime rates are down simply because
>>> they ignore most of it?

>>Xtra's policies are no different from any other large ISP. Consider the
>>lack of service also afforded TelstraClear and Ihug users.

> No problems at all from Ihug over here! They've been fantastic.

TelstraClear has service where they actually call you back so you don't have
to wait on the phone.

-KENT

Jo

"Kent Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e4asvh$2hs1$(E-Mail Removed)...

> TelstraClear has service where they actually call you back so you don't
> have to wait on the phone.

basically its a forced system where the computers take the first operator
disconnecting from a call and calls the customer back. Worst of all is the
customer who screams blue murder about being on hold for at least 20 minutes
when in reality they have been on hold for 40 seconds. I know of a couple
of participants here who have done that. You know who you are.

s.te.v.e.

Robert Feigel wrote:

> Xtra has been having "issues" with customers' emails since "noon
> yesterday" and their helpline has been overloaded to the point that
> they can't handle all the calls. Yet there has not been a word about
> his on their so-called online status report.

Xtra have frequently had trouble with customer e-mails.....going back years.

Either that or Xtra users, for some inexplicable reason, use the "I never
got your e-mail!" excuse more than people who use other ISPs.

~misfit~

TKKGHCMT wrote:
> "Nho Whei" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Mon, 15 May 2006 21:50:25 +1200, "TKKGHCMT"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> "Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Take your pick.
>>>
>>> Google "dns" followed by an ISP name (other than Xtra of course).
>>>

>> Methinks you may not have fully grasped the severity of our present
>> difficulties.

> Simple fix for me. Have you actually tried?

Would it not be hard to get to Google without having a DNS server unless you
know the IP?
--
Shaun.

~misfit~

Jules Winnfield wrote:
> "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> TKKGHCMT wrote:
>>> Take your pick.
>>> Google "dns" followed by an ISP name (other than Xtra of course).

>> You might like to try google.co.nz ...
>> http://66.102.7.99/
>>
>> (seeing as how the URL won't be any use without a dns)
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Peter
>>

> Thanks. I changed mine to Orcon's in the meantime and all is well
>
> Orcon's DNS servers:
>
> Primary: 210.55.12.1
> Secondary: 210.55.12.2

Ok, I'm not a software/OS sort of person.

How do you change your DNS server with XP Pro?

Thanks.
--
Shaun.

Malcolm

~misfit~ wrote:

> Jules Winnfield wrote:
>> "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> You might like to try google.co.nz ...
>>> http://66.102.7.99/
>>>
>>> (seeing as how the URL won't be any use without a dns)
>>>
>>> HTH
>>>
>>> Peter
>>>

>> Thanks. I changed mine to Orcon's in the meantime and all is well
>>
>> Orcon's DNS servers:
>>
>> Primary: 210.55.12.1
>> Secondary: 210.55.12.2

> Ok, I'm not a software/OS sort of person.
>
> How do you change your DNS server with XP Pro?
>
> Thanks.

Yo!
Under Network Connections, On the network interface icon right-click
and select properties. Select Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)->properties
in the General Tab you can define DNS server, if you hit the advanced
button and select the DNS tab you can add them to your hearts
content

--
Cheers
Malcolm °¿°