Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > M$ to focus on Linux, software-as-a-service, advertising, & chair throwing.

M$ to focus on Linux, software-as-a-service, advertising, & chair throwing.

impossible

"Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 14 May 2006 00:04:50 +1200, Waylon Kenning wrote:
>
>>>When it does... you can expect a total sea change.

>> I disagree. Where is the total sea change when it comes to the
>> desktop?

> I think you don't understand the meaning of "total sea change" in
> that
> context.
>
> It kinda has a similar meaning as "paradigm shift".

Translation: "total sea change" = "paradigm shift" = vaporware.

Jennings

On Sat, 13 May 2006 17:16:08 -0400, impossible wrote:

>> I think you don't understand the meaning of "total sea change" in
>> that
>> context.
>>
>> It kinda has a similar meaning as "paradigm shift".
>>

> Translation: "total sea change" = "paradigm shift" = vaporware.

For all of blings bitching about Vista being vaporware and shorthorn, he
sure likes to lay it on thick with the vaporware coming from OSS ...

J.

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
> On Sat, 13 May 2006 13:09:25 +1200, Chris Hope wrote:
>

>>>And I notice that OpenSuSE 10.1 was released yesterday - on time.

>>It wasn't released "on time" as there was never a scheduled release date
>>until a week before it was released.

> So that means it WAS released on time - on the time they stated. It's just
> that they didn't state when that would be until a week before it happened.
> ;o)
>
> I'm already running KDE 3.5.2 on a fully patched SuSE 10.0 system, and so
> I don't yet see any real advantage to moving over to useing SuSE 10.1

Same here. I'm already running Xorg 6.9, KDE 3.5.2, and latest versions
of many softwares. There are likely to be some improvements to some libs
that caused me some issues on 10.0, and XGL is easier to get working in
10.1 (newer libs), but for the most part I've a kick-ass 10.0 system
with cool software like MythTV 0.19, Blender 2.41, Flightgear 0.9.10,
Kino 0.8.1, and more. It all 'just works' without hiccups now that I've
done a bit of tuning here and there....

10.2 might be worthy of installation for me, if KDE 4 is out by then...

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Sun, 14 May 2006 11:12:00 +1000, Chris Wilkinson wrote:

> Same here. I'm already running Xorg 6.9, KDE 3.5.2, and latest versions
> of many softwares. There are likely to be some improvements to some libs
> that caused me some issues on 10.0, and XGL is easier to get working in
> 10.1 (newer libs), but for the most part I've a kick-ass 10.0 system
> with cool software like MythTV 0.19, Blender 2.41, Flightgear 0.9.10,
> Kino 0.8.1, and more. It all 'just works' without hiccups now that I've
> done a bit of tuning here and there....
>
> 10.2 might be worthy of installation for me, if KDE 4 is out by then...

I suppose I should add Xorg 6.9 - just so I can get the better eye candy
that is available in KDE 3.5.2. )

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
> On Sun, 14 May 2006 11:12:00 +1000, Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>
>>Same here. I'm already running Xorg 6.9, KDE 3.5.2, and latest versions
>>of many softwares. There are likely to be some improvements to some libs
>>that caused me some issues on 10.0, and XGL is easier to get working in
>>10.1 (newer libs), but for the most part I've a kick-ass 10.0 system
>>with cool software like MythTV 0.19, Blender 2.41, Flightgear 0.9.10,
>>Kino 0.8.1, and more. It all 'just works' without hiccups now that I've
>>done a bit of tuning here and there....
>>
>>10.2 might be worthy of installation for me, if KDE 4 is out by then...

> I suppose I should add Xorg 6.9 - just so I can get the better eye candy
> that is available in KDE 3.5.2. )

You won't get that much more than you had in Xorg 6.8.2. Just the
translucency and shadows are less buggy. They still are not 100%
on my machine, so I don't use them.

XGL development needs to work in with KDE more before I will use
it too, as currently getting XGL to work on KDE relies on using only one
Gnome Window Decoration (or one very buggy KDE one). You cannot choose
different window decorations because those are tied to XGL...without
them XGL doesn't give you the much-heralded eye-candy everyone has gone
ga-ga over...

Down the track I can foresee KDE 4 and XGL working nicely together
to create an eye-candy experience that works well too, but there is
some work to do before then...

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

Steven H

Hello Have A Nice Cup of Tea,

> I think the above addresses what you were referring to. Does it?

you dont write software for a living do you ?

as they say on my favorate OSS project lists 'all patches are greatfully
accepted'

----------------
Steven H

the madGeek

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Mon, 15 May 2006 08:17:18 +1000, Chris Wilkinson wrote:

> Down the track I can foresee KDE 4 and XGL working nicely together
> to create an eye-candy experience that works well too, but there is
> some work to do before then...

OK. Perhaps the only reason to upgrade is to get Evolution updated to the
latest version (2.6) without D-hell.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea