Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > MAc guru's out there.....cloning a Mac OS9.2 drive

MAc guru's out there.....cloning a Mac OS9.2 drive

thingy

I think my OS9.2 ext drive is dying.....or maybe its case electronics
is....anyway....Any tools out there to clone an external 20 gig firewire
drive with a bootable OS9.2 image on it to another firewire external
300gig external drive so its still bootable and has all its data?

Or a method to install 9.2 onto an external disk and copy the user's
config & data over?

ie is it as simple as putting in my 9.1 OS install cd, booting off it
and then I can choose to install on the ext 300gig? then copy stuff
across? I dont want to risk wiping my 10.4 install....

Alternatively on the fly shrink my internal OSX 10.4 250 gig drive by 20
gig and transfer the OS9.2 image to it? (my preference, cheaper and faster)?

regards

Thing

mark

thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I think my OS9.2 ext drive is dying.....or maybe its case electronics
> is....anyway....Any tools out there to clone an external 20 gig
> firewire drive with a bootable OS9.2 image on it to another firewire
> external 300gig external drive so its still bootable and has all its
> data?
>
> Or a method to install 9.2 onto an external disk and copy the user's
> config & data over?
>
> ie is it as simple as putting in my 9.1 OS install cd, booting off it
> and then I can choose to install on the ext 300gig? then copy stuff
> across? I dont want to risk wiping my 10.4 install....
>
> Alternatively on the fly shrink my internal OSX 10.4 250 gig drive by
> 20 gig and transfer the OS9.2 image to it? (my preference, cheaper and
> faster)?
>
> regards
>
> Thing

Just copy everything to the new disk. Once the copy has finished you
should be able to boot from the new disk with all of your data intact.

If it fails to boot (eg., doesn't appear as a valid boot disk in Startup
Disk/the boot manager (hold down option on powerup) then you may need to
"bless" it. Do this by moving the System file from the Mac OS 9 system
folder on the new hard disk to another location on the same disk, then
back again. OS 9 then see's a Finder and System file in the same folder
and flags it as bootable ("blessed").

Cheers,
Mark

wogers nemesis

On Sat, 13 May 2006 10:37:58 +1200, thingy wrote:

> I think my OS9.2 ext drive is dying.....or maybe its case electronics
> is....anyway....Any tools out there to clone an external 20 gig firewire
> drive with a bootable OS9.2 image on it to another firewire external
> 300gig external drive so its still bootable and has all its data?
>
> Or a method to install 9.2 onto an external disk and copy the user's
> config & data over?
>
> ie is it as simple as putting in my 9.1 OS install cd, booting off it
> and then I can choose to install on the ext 300gig? then copy stuff
> across? I dont want to risk wiping my 10.4 install....
>
> Alternatively on the fly shrink my internal OSX 10.4 250 gig drive by 20
> gig and transfer the OS9.2 image to it? (my preference, cheaper and faster)?
>
> regards
>
> Thing

You just have copy all the folders (well the System folder in particular,
but I'm sure you want apps too) to the new drive. The only real problem
you ever had with this method was firmware differences when switching
between models of mac.

With OS X the name of the folders are different (rename your OS 9
Applications folder to Applications (OS 9), so there are no problems.
So yep, I'd just copy the folders onto your OS X drive and launch Classic
(aka OS 9) from the System Preferences -> Classic

http://www.apple.com/support/tiger/classic/

No need to partition your drive nad you can put user data where ever you
like.

thingy

wogers nemesis wrote:
> On Sat, 13 May 2006 10:37:58 +1200, thingy wrote:
>

>>I think my OS9.2 ext drive is dying.....or maybe its case electronics
>>is....anyway....Any tools out there to clone an external 20 gig firewire
>>drive with a bootable OS9.2 image on it to another firewire external
>>300gig external drive so its still bootable and has all its data?
>>
>>Or a method to install 9.2 onto an external disk and copy the user's
>>config & data over?
>>
>>ie is it as simple as putting in my 9.1 OS install cd, booting off it
>>and then I can choose to install on the ext 300gig? then copy stuff
>>across? I dont want to risk wiping my 10.4 install....
>>
>>Alternatively on the fly shrink my internal OSX 10.4 250 gig drive by 20
>>gig and transfer the OS9.2 image to it? (my preference, cheaper and faster)?
>>
>>regards
>>
>>Thing

> You just have copy all the folders (well the System folder in particular,
> but I'm sure you want apps too) to the new drive. The only real problem
> you ever had with this method was firmware differences when switching
> between models of mac.

Same Mac so should not be an issue.

> With OS X the name of the folders are different (rename your OS 9
> Applications folder to Applications (OS 9), so there are no problems.
> So yep, I'd just copy the folders onto your OS X drive and launch Classic
> (aka OS 9) from the System Preferences -> Classic
>
> http://www.apple.com/support/tiger/classic/
>
> No need to partition your drive nad you can put user data where ever you
> like.

I'd like to run os9 on its own as in OSx classic mode several games wont
work and Office 98 runs like a dog, photo shop elements wont run....in
native mode it runs better/OK.

regards

Thing