Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Upgrades to 3.5m / 512k ASDL?

Upgrades to 3.5m / 512k ASDL?

s-t-e-v-e

I ordered one of thse upgrades via Orcon about a month ago.....and have
heard nothing from them.

I did call and confirm they received the order. They said they were
waiting on Telecom for an implementation date.

.......and waiting.....and waiting........

Chris Hope

s-t-e-v-e wrote:

> I ordered one of thse upgrades via Orcon about a month ago.....and
> have heard nothing from them.
>
> I did call and confirm they received the order. They said they were
> waiting on Telecom for an implementation date.
>
> ......and waiting.....and waiting........

Funny... mine went fairly smoothly, considering I didn't put the correct
phone number down the first time (we have two numbers here). Try
calling their 0800 number and go through to the provisioning help desk.
I've found it to be very responsive and they were very helpful. (I have
no experience of the normal help desk so can't comment about that).

s-t-e-v-e

Chris Hope wrote:
> s-t-e-v-e wrote:
>

>>I ordered one of thse upgrades via Orcon about a month ago.....and
>>have heard nothing from them.
>>
>>I did call and confirm they received the order. They said they were
>>waiting on Telecom for an implementation date.
>>
>>......and waiting.....and waiting........

> Funny... mine went fairly smoothly, considering I didn't put the correct
> phone number down the first time (we have two numbers here). Try
> calling their 0800 number and go through to the provisioning help desk.
> I've found it to be very responsive and they were very helpful. (I have
> no experience of the normal help desk so can't comment about that).

Ta. I'll have a go tomorrow.

I suspect the problem may be that I currently have the 2mb service, but
only see an actual 1.8mbps download rate as i am 4km from the exchange.

I wouldn't much care if that remained the same, as long as the upward
rate was increased to 512k.

Reuben Farrelly

On 11/05/2006 10:29 p.m., s-t-e-v-e wrote:
> Chris Hope wrote:
>> s-t-e-v-e wrote:
>>

>>> I ordered one of thse upgrades via Orcon about a month ago.....and
>>> have heard nothing from them.
>>>
>>> I did call and confirm they received the order. They said they were
>>> waiting on Telecom for an implementation date.
>>>
>>> ......and waiting.....and waiting........

>> Funny... mine went fairly smoothly, considering I didn't put the correct
>> phone number down the first time (we have two numbers here). Try
>> calling their 0800 number and go through to the provisioning help desk.
>> I've found it to be very responsive and they were very helpful. (I have
>> no experience of the normal help desk so can't comment about that).

> Ta. I'll have a go tomorrow.
>
> I suspect the problem may be that I currently have the 2mb service, but
> only see an actual 1.8mbps download rate as i am 4km from the exchange.
>
> I wouldn't much care if that remained the same, as long as the upward
> rate was increased to 512k.

Your download rate is entirely irrelevant. It's a config change on the DSLAM at
your exchange that is required - and 1 month does seem like a long time to be
waiting. I'm only able to train up at 1.4-1.5 Mbps, and I was changed early on
in April. I'm only 3.5 km from the Mt. Albert exchange............

reuben

s.te.v.e.

Reuben Farrelly wrote:

> Your download rate is entirely irrelevant. It's a config change on the
> DSLAM at your exchange that is required - and 1 month does seem like a
> long time to be
> waiting. I'm only able to train up at 1.4-1.5 Mbps, and I was changed
> early on
> in April. I'm only 3.5 km from the Mt. Albert exchange............

Interesting......

The techs did make the point the distance is by line length, not
proximity.....so a few dog-legs could add a fair bit to the total distance.

Reuben Farrelly

On 12/05/2006 7:24 p.m., s.te.v.e. wrote:
> Reuben Farrelly wrote:
>
>> Your download rate is entirely irrelevant. It's a config change on the
>> DSLAM at your exchange that is required - and 1 month does seem like a
>> long time to be
>> waiting. I'm only able to train up at 1.4-1.5 Mbps, and I was changed
>> early on
>> in April. I'm only 3.5 km from the Mt. Albert exchange............

> Interesting......
>
> The techs did make the point the distance is by line length, not
> proximity.....so a few dog-legs could add a fair bit to the total distance.

Absolutely. When I said 3.5km, that was the copper distance, not the walking
distance Wises shows the most direct driving distance as 2.5 km.

The two techs I have had out in the time the line has been in have both said
that the copper in this area is relatively poor (poor insulation and perhaps a
few extra joins), and as it all runs past the Mt. Albert shops there are a lot
of problems with line interference caused by so many other services in the bundles.

One of the guys thought at the distance I was at I should be able to get 2.5Mbit
at least, but alas his own tests with his Nokia M1122 showed much the same
speeds as I am getting with my gear.

reuben