Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > relaying internet to radio receiver

Reply
Thread Tools

relaying internet to radio receiver

 
 
shannon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-11-2006
-=rjh=- wrote:
> Dave Doe wrote:
>> In article <4462ba41$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
>>> noddy wrote:
>>>> Thanks you guys for all the suggestion !!
>>> Nah, all those suggestions were crap
>>>
>>> Get a DSE USB FM transmitter (XH1927):
>>>
>>> http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...ct/View/XH1927
>>>
>>>
>>> It is USB powered, it runs as a USB audio device on your PC, so it
>>> doesn't tie up your PC audio output (so you can have it transmitting
>>> your internet radio continuously, but can still play movies and games
>>> and pron on your PC without the sound from *that* being transmitted
>>> all over the neighbourhood - or so we hope).
>>>
>>> Range is excellent - far greater than transmitters like the Belkin
>>> one; cheaper, too - and the quality is amazing. You can listen using
>>> any FM receiver, including personal devices as well as any connected
>>> to your stereo.

>>
>> I've been considering one of these devices myself - might try the DSE
>> thingie - just one exception to your comments - "quality is amazing" -
>> are you referring to the device or the sound output (presumably it
>> outputs in FM - so it can't be that amazing - can it?)
>>

>
> For the price and for an FM transmitter, it is extremely good. In the
> context of casual listening, it really is all you need. That may depend
> on the type of music you listen to, of course.
>
> The device is stable (rock steady, no drift); you have to set up the
> levels carefully, and if you use a good receiver, you will get good
> results. I listen to 99% of my music through this device, just
> continually streaming from a server all day and night.
>
> My transmitter is located in the extreme back corner of the house, and I
> get very good signal over the entire house.
>
> There are a couple of other models available (not through DSE, though, I
> did post the URL in this ng a while ago) with better range and better
> quality, but the DSE one is fine.


Good price too
I assume this is the same device
http://www.myfmstation.com/html/linex_usb.html
I'm tempted to try one on a slug
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SlugAsAudioPlayer
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
s-t-e-v-e
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-11-2006
noddy wrote:
> While I lie in bed at night I would lke to be able to lsten to radio
> programmes I can get over the www . It is NOT an option for me to have
> my computer in my bedroom.
> I have found that my short wave radio picks up transmissions from our
> cordless telephone. This got me to thinking. Would there be any way
> for me to wirelessly send the programmes I currently listen to on my
> computer to my radio?
> If this is not feasible does anyone have another suggestion?


You can buy headphones that use radio......so have the station on the
PC, but you listen in your room on the headphones.

?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
-=rjh=-
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-11-2006
shannon wrote:
> -=rjh=- wrote:
>> Dave Doe wrote:
>>> In article <4462ba41$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>>> noddy wrote:
>>>>> Thanks you guys for all the suggestion !!
>>>> Nah, all those suggestions were crap
>>>>
>>>> Get a DSE USB FM transmitter (XH1927):
>>>>
>>>> http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...ct/View/XH1927
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> It is USB powered, it runs as a USB audio device on your PC, so it
>>>> doesn't tie up your PC audio output (so you can have it transmitting
>>>> your internet radio continuously, but can still play movies and
>>>> games and pron on your PC without the sound from *that* being
>>>> transmitted all over the neighbourhood - or so we hope).
>>>>
>>>> Range is excellent - far greater than transmitters like the Belkin
>>>> one; cheaper, too - and the quality is amazing. You can listen using
>>>> any FM receiver, including personal devices as well as any connected
>>>> to your stereo.
>>>
>>> I've been considering one of these devices myself - might try the DSE
>>> thingie - just one exception to your comments - "quality is amazing"
>>> - are you referring to the device or the sound output (presumably it
>>> outputs in FM - so it can't be that amazing - can it?)
>>>

>>
>> For the price and for an FM transmitter, it is extremely good. In the
>> context of casual listening, it really is all you need. That may
>> depend on the type of music you listen to, of course.
>>
>> The device is stable (rock steady, no drift); you have to set up the
>> levels carefully, and if you use a good receiver, you will get good
>> results. I listen to 99% of my music through this device, just
>> continually streaming from a server all day and night.
>>
>> My transmitter is located in the extreme back corner of the house, and
>> I get very good signal over the entire house.
>>
>> There are a couple of other models available (not through DSE, though,
>> I did post the URL in this ng a while ago) with better range and
>> better quality, but the DSE one is fine.

>
> Good price too
> I assume this is the same device
> http://www.myfmstation.com/html/linex_usb.html


Yes, that is the one. I wonder how much they *really* cost before they
are rebadged.

> I'm tempted to try one on a slug
> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SlugAsAudioPlayer


Slimserver will run on a slug, too - so you could run a player on the
slug, being fed a stream locally (as well as having other streams out)
and have the whole setup managed by browser. Think the slug might be
sweating a bit under the load, but there is a howto for getting
slimserver to run on one.

The beauty of slimserver is great search and it knows about cue files.

URL I quoted before for US source of the transmitters is
http://mobileblackbox.com, but they are much more expensive than what
DSE is selling the same item for. A bit more information there, though.
 
Reply With Quote
 
-=rjh=-
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-11-2006
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Thu, 11 May 2006 13:48:37 +1200, noddy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> While I lie in bed at night I would lke to be able to lsten to radio
>> programmes I can get over the www . It is NOT an option for me to have
>> my computer in my bedroom.
>> I have found that my short wave radio picks up transmissions from our
>> cordless telephone. This got me to thinking. Would there be any way
>> for me to wirelessly send the programmes I currently listen to on my
>> computer to my radio?
>> If this is not feasible does anyone have another suggestion?
>>

>
>
>
> Yes get one of those Jaycar FM transmitter kits made up..
>
> I use one and they are great, DSE used to have one as well..
>
>

Nope, they are Crap..

I've built several of both versions of the kits, the DSE one had SMD
components, so isn't going to be easily built by a lot of people. Not
that they can't be soldered using a normal soldering iron, the problem
is finding the damn components in the first place. Christ they are small.

The transmitters drift quite a lot, and are relatively noisy and have
some distortion. In addition, they can be tricky to set up and get
going; and as for the first DSE kitset design, who was the rocket
scientist who decided that

a)the L and R input level trimmers should rotate in *opposite* directions

b)these trimmers should be accessed *through the RCA input sockets* so
you cannot adjust them with a signal attached

There are heaps of better products available now, those kits were good
in their day.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jasen Betts
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-14-2006
On 2006-05-11, noddy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> While I lie in bed at night I would lke to be able to lsten to radio
> programmes I can get over the www . It is NOT an option for me to have
> my computer in my bedroom.
> I have found that my short wave radio picks up transmissions from our
> cordless telephone. This got me to thinking. Would there be any way
> for me to wirelessly send the programmes I currently listen to on my
> computer to my radio?
> If this is not feasible does anyone have another suggestion?


yeah, you need a small transmitter and the aproprriate cable.
most places that sell ipods etc will have a small FM transmitter that you
could probably use.

Bye.
Jasen
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jasen Betts
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-14-2006
On 2006-05-11, -=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> a)the L and R input level trimmers should rotate in *opposite* directions
>
> b)these trimmers should be accessed *through the RCA input sockets* so
> you cannot adjust them with a signal attached


use an aligator clip to connect the signal to the screwdriver.

in the 1990(?) model the tuning slug's threaded slleeve would break too
easily. soldering was a bit fiddly but possible with a half-way decent
soldering iron ($30 antex) and good solder.

--

Bye.
Jasen
 
Reply With Quote
 
zipdisk@clearxxxx.net.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-14-2006
On Thu, 11 May 2006 23:18:10 +1200, -=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 May 2006 13:48:37 +1200, noddy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> While I lie in bed at night I would lke to be able to lsten to radio
>>> programmes I can get over the www . It is NOT an option for me to have
>>> my computer in my bedroom.
>>> I have found that my short wave radio picks up transmissions from our
>>> cordless telephone. This got me to thinking. Would there be any way
>>> for me to wirelessly send the programmes I currently listen to on my
>>> computer to my radio?
>>> If this is not feasible does anyone have another suggestion?
>>>

>>
>>
>>
>> Yes get one of those Jaycar FM transmitter kits made up..
>>
>> I use one and they are great, DSE used to have one as well..
>>
>>

>Nope, they are Crap..
>
>I've built several of both versions of the kits, the DSE one had SMD
>components, so isn't going to be easily built by a lot of people. Not
>that they can't be soldered using a normal soldering iron, the problem
>is finding the damn components in the first place. Christ they are small.




I found no problems at all.

>The transmitters drift quite a lot, and are relatively noisy and have




They can't drift as its Xtal locked, are you referring to a different thing..?

>some distortion. In addition, they can be tricky to set up and get
>going; and as for the first DSE kitset design, who was the rocket
>scientist who decided that
>
>a)the L and R input level trimmers should rotate in *opposite* directions
>
>b)these trimmers should be accessed *through the RCA input sockets* so
>you cannot adjust them with a signal attached
>
>There are heaps of better products available now, those kits were good
>in their day.




Yes but only for Car use and a very limited range..


 
Reply With Quote
 
zipdisk@clearxxxx.net.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-14-2006
On Sun, 14 May 2006 02:00:51 -0000, Jasen Betts <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 2006-05-11, noddy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> While I lie in bed at night I would lke to be able to lsten to radio
>> programmes I can get over the www . It is NOT an option for me to have
>> my computer in my bedroom.
>> I have found that my short wave radio picks up transmissions from our
>> cordless telephone. This got me to thinking. Would there be any way
>> for me to wirelessly send the programmes I currently listen to on my
>> computer to my radio?
>> If this is not feasible does anyone have another suggestion?

>
>yeah, you need a small transmitter and the aproprriate cable.
>most places that sell ipods etc will have a small FM transmitter that you
>could probably use.
>
>Bye.
> Jasen




ONLY for CAR use, very limited range..


 
Reply With Quote
 
-=rjh=-
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-15-2006
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Thu, 11 May 2006 23:18:10 +1200, -=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> On Thu, 11 May 2006 13:48:37 +1200, noddy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>> While I lie in bed at night I would lke to be able to lsten to radio
>>>> programmes I can get over the www . It is NOT an option for me to have
>>>> my computer in my bedroom.
>>>> I have found that my short wave radio picks up transmissions from our
>>>> cordless telephone. This got me to thinking. Would there be any way
>>>> for me to wirelessly send the programmes I currently listen to on my
>>>> computer to my radio?
>>>> If this is not feasible does anyone have another suggestion?
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Yes get one of those Jaycar FM transmitter kits made up..
>>>
>>> I use one and they are great, DSE used to have one as well..
>>>
>>>

>> Nope, they are Crap..
>>
>> I've built several of both versions of the kits, the DSE one had SMD
>> components, so isn't going to be easily built by a lot of people. Not
>> that they can't be soldered using a normal soldering iron, the problem
>> is finding the damn components in the first place. Christ they are small.

>
>
>
> I found no problems at all.


That's great, I was just warning that some people might have problems.
>
>> The transmitters drift quite a lot, and are relatively noisy and have

>
>
>
> They can't drift as its Xtal locked, are you referring to a different thing..?


The datasheet for the BA1404 reference design (which almost all those
kits use unmodified) clearly shows that output frequency is high at
1.0V, drops quite rapidly to a minimum at around 1.6V, the rises back to
the maximum at 3.5V. So whether you use 1 cell or two, you are going to
be operating somewhere on the sloping part of that curve, as your
batteries die your output frequency drifts. Pretty much ties in with my
experience using these things, to get any stability out of them if
running on batteries you have to use more batteries and build a
regulated PS, or run them of a USB adapter.

Crystal locked has nothing to do with it.

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datashe...HM/BA1404.html

>
>> some distortion. In addition, they can be tricky to set up and get
>> going; and as for the first DSE kitset design, who was the rocket
>> scientist who decided that
>>
>> a)the L and R input level trimmers should rotate in *opposite* directions
>>
>> b)these trimmers should be accessed *through the RCA input sockets* so
>> you cannot adjust them with a signal attached
>>
>> There are heaps of better products available now, those kits were good
>> in their day.

>
>
>
> Yes but only for Car use and a very limited range..


Well, as per my other post re mobileblackbox etc, I disagree with you.
The majority of ipod devices are designed for car use or short range,
and you can't expect much from them, and in that respect, the DSE and
Jaycar kits are better. But there are also affordable kits and products
around that are *much* better. The USB transmitter I referred to is PLL,
and is very stable and cheaper than some kits.
 
Reply With Quote
 
John
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-15-2006
On Mon, 15 May 2006 11:58:27 +1200, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> On Sun, 14 May 2006 02:00:51 -0000, Jasen Betts <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On 2006-05-11, noddy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> While I lie in bed at night I would lke to be able to lsten to radio
>>> programmes I can get over the www . It is NOT an option for me to have
>>> my computer in my bedroom.
>>> I have found that my short wave radio picks up transmissions from our
>>> cordless telephone. This got me to thinking. Would there be any way
>>> for me to wirelessly send the programmes I currently listen to on my
>>> computer to my radio?
>>> If this is not feasible does anyone have another suggestion?

>>
>>yeah, you need a small transmitter and the aproprriate cable.
>>most places that sell ipods etc will have a small FM transmitter that you
>>could probably use.
>>
>>Bye.
>> Jasen

>
>
>
> ONLY for CAR use, very limited range..


Hey Roger, is that you?

Regards,
John.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Relaying Not Allowed John Sanders Computer Support 8 04-30-2007 10:29 AM
Relaying signal from Wireless ADSL Router Rob Davies Wireless Networking 3 10-28-2004 12:16 AM
70-291 - DHCP Relaying question Mike MCSE 4 04-26-2004 02:51 AM
Pix: Spam relaying Bjorn Cisco 2 01-07-2004 12:50 PM



Advertisments