Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > saving unsent message, and sort by date.

saving unsent message, and sort by date.

geopelia

I'm still learning to use Google groups.

If I have written a message, but need to go over to the Google homepage
to check something before posting, how do I save the message please? It
always disappears.

With xtra groups, I could save it in Drafts. Is there anything similar
in Google groups?

And if I click "sort by date" is there any way to make that a permanent
instruction? I have to change to "sort by date" each time at present.

Thank you

Geopelia

Dave Doe

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> I'm still learning to use Google groups.
>
> If I have written a message, but need to go over to the Google homepage
> to check something before posting, how do I save the message please? It
> always disappears.
>
> With xtra groups, I could save it in Drafts. Is there anything similar
> in Google groups?
>
> And if I click "sort by date" is there any way to make that a permanent
> instruction? I have to change to "sort by date" each time at present.
>
> Thank you
>
> Geopelia

You're using Google's web based client to access messages. You have
little control over it. Either get used to it, or go back to using your
old newsreader and hook up to a new usenet server along with your new
ISP (ie get rid of Telecom).

--
Duncan

Andrew Lambert

Dave Doe wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> I'm still learning to use Google groups.
>>
>> If I have written a message, but need to go over to the Google homepage
>> to check something before posting, how do I save the message please? It
>> always disappears.
>>
>> With xtra groups, I could save it in Drafts. Is there anything similar
>> in Google groups?
>>
>> And if I click "sort by date" is there any way to make that a permanent
>> instruction? I have to change to "sort by date" each time at present.
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> Geopelia

> You're using Google's web based client to access messages. You have
> little control over it. Either get used to it, or go back to using your
> old newsreader and hook up to a new usenet server along with your new
> ISP (ie get rid of Telecom).

If your not keen on changing isps, You only need to change the news server

In your account settings of OE (which im guessing was your news reader)
change the news server from news.xtra.co.nz to nntp.aioe.org

Crash

Andrew Lambert wrote:
> Dave Doe wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
>> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>> I'm still learning to use Google groups.
>>>
>>> If I have written a message, but need to go over to the Google homepage
>>> to check something before posting, how do I save the message please? It
>>> always disappears.
>>>
>>> With xtra groups, I could save it in Drafts. Is there anything similar
>>> in Google groups?
>>>
>>> And if I click "sort by date" is there any way to make that a permanent
>>> instruction? I have to change to "sort by date" each time at present.
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>>
>>> Geopelia

>> You're using Google's web based client to access messages. You have
>> little control over it. Either get used to it, or go back to using
>> your old newsreader and hook up to a new usenet server along with your
>> new ISP (ie get rid of Telecom).
>>

> If your not keen on changing isps, You only need to change the news server
>
> In your account settings of OE (which im guessing was your news reader)
> change the news server from news.xtra.co.nz to nntp.aioe.org

Geopelia,

Unfortunately (from your point of view) Andrew and Dave are correct. There is
no similarity between using Google Groups (you will be using Internet Explorer
probably - a 'browser') and Outlook Express with a news server (as you were when
Xtra had a news server).

Being able to save and organise messages, as you could with Outlook Express, is
typically not offered whenever you use a browser.

Crash.

Don Hills

"geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I'm still learning to use Google groups.
>
>If I have written a message, but need to go over to the Google homepage
>to check something before posting, how do I save the message please? It
>always disappears.

Open a second browser window or tab and bring up the homepage in it.

>And if I click "sort by date" is there any way to make that a permanent
>instruction? I have to change to "sort by date" each time at present.

Easy. I use "Advanced Search", so my bookmark is:
http://groups.google.com/advanced_gr...=100&scoring=d

The critical part is the "&scoring=d" at the end.
Edit your stored bookmark and add that to the end.
You can test it before making any permanent change by going to the search
page as usual, adding the "&scoring=d" to the end of the URL in the bar at
the top and pressing Enter.

preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

Dave Doe

> Dave Doe wrote:
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> > (E-Mail Removed) says...
> >> I'm still learning to use Google groups.
> >>
> >> If I have written a message, but need to go over to the Google homepage
> >> to check something before posting, how do I save the message please? It
> >> always disappears.
> >>
> >> With xtra groups, I could save it in Drafts. Is there anything similar
> >> in Google groups?
> >>
> >> And if I click "sort by date" is there any way to make that a permanent
> >> instruction? I have to change to "sort by date" each time at present.
> >>
> >> Thank you
> >>
> >> Geopelia

> > You're using Google's web based client to access messages. You have
> > little control over it. Either get used to it, or go back to using your
> > old newsreader and hook up to a new usenet server along with your new
> > ISP (ie get rid of Telecom).
> >

> If your not keen on changing isps, You only need to change the news server
>
> In your account settings of OE (which im guessing was your news reader)
> change the news server from news.xtra.co.nz to nntp.aioe.org

I tried to have a quick look at their website - but it's not up yet
(I've tried: www.aioe.org). I hope their nttp serv3er is better than
their website (just timed out on me!)

--
Duncan

texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom..

On 9 May 2006 20:03:14 -0700, "geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm still learning to use Google groups.
>
>If I have written a message, but need to go over to the Google homepage
>to check something before posting, how do I save the message please? It
>always disappears.
>
>With xtra groups, I could save it in Drafts. Is there anything similar
>in Google groups?
>
>And if I click "sort by date" is there any way to make that a permanent
>instruction? I have to change to "sort by date" each time at present.
>
>Thank you
>
>Geopelia

Have you thought about using Free Agent?

Cath

geopelia

> Dave Doe wrote:
>
> If your not keen on changing isps, You only need to change the news server
>
> In your account settings of OE (which im guessing was your news reader)
> change the news server from news.xtra.co.nz to nntp.aioe.org

I've tried that several times, but it gets as far as starting to
download the groups then suddenly stops. I don't think this computer
can do it.

geopelia

Crash wrote:
> Geopelia,
>
> Unfortunately (from your point of view) Andrew and Dave are correct. There is
> no similarity between using Google Groups (you will be using Internet Explorer
> probably - a 'browser') and Outlook Express with a news server (as you were when
> Xtra had a news server).
>
> Being able to save and organise messages, as you could with Outlook Express, is
> typically not offered whenever you use a browser.
>
> Crash.

Thank you. That's a pity.
I'm starting to get used to Google groups, and having a good laugh at
what the government has done to Telecom. Nice timing!

geopelia

Don Hills wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> "geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >I'm still learning to use Google groups.
> >
> >If I have written a message, but need to go over to the Google homepage
> >to check something before posting, how do I save the message please? It
> >always disappears.

> Open a second browser window or tab and bring up the homepage in it.
>
> >And if I click "sort by date" is there any way to make that a permanent
> >instruction? I have to change to "sort by date" each time at present.

> Easy. I use "Advanced Search", so my bookmark is:
> http://groups.google.com/advanced_gr...=100&scoring=d
>
> The critical part is the "&scoring=d" at the end.
> Edit your stored bookmark and add that to the end.
> You can test it before making any permanent change by going to the search
> page as usual, adding the "&scoring=d" to the end of the URL in the bar at
> the top and pressing Enter.
>
> --
> Don Hills (dmhills at attglobaldotnet) Wellington, New Zealand
> "New interface closely resembles Presentation Manager,
> preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
> -- Advertisement on the box for Microsoft Windows 2.11 for 286

I've put that "& scoring" bit into Favourites. I'll see if it makes any
difference.

Thank you
Geopelia