Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Refresh rate for LCD displays

Refresh rate for LCD displays

SchoolTech

I thought it wasn't necessary to bother with this setting on LCDs as the
flicker is nothing like on a CRT screen. Now it seems you do have to set
it as at 60Hz the flicker can still be quite noticeable.

Dave Taylor

SchoolTech <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:44604243$1
@clear.net.nz:

> I thought it wasn't necessary to bother with this setting on LCDs as the
> flicker is nothing like on a CRT screen. Now it seems you do have to set
> it as at 60Hz the flicker can still be quite noticeable.

If you RTFM for the LCD, you will find they like to have some specific
input refresh AND resolution. My Viewsonic VA905 likes 1280x1024@60 or
75hz.
I have heard people complain about blurry etc on LCD. They probably got
one that is too big for their preferred font size, or don't have the
resolution optimized. The most flexible display for that type of user is a
big, high quality CRT.

--
Ciao, Dave

J Brockley

"SchoolTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44604243$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I thought it wasn't necessary to bother with this setting on LCDs as the
>flicker is nothing like on a CRT screen. Now it seems you do have to set it
>as at 60Hz the flicker can still be quite noticeable.

If you seeing flicker at 60hz it more likely a bad backlight. Mine flickers
a bit at startup on a cold day.
60hz is the recommended rate for every LCD I've seen but most will support
up to 75hz.

zipdisk@clearxxxx.net.nz

On Tue, 09 May 2006 19:18:27 +1200, SchoolTech
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I thought it wasn't necessary to bother with this setting on LCDs as the
>flicker is nothing like on a CRT screen. Now it seems you do have to set
>it as at 60Hz the flicker can still be quite noticeable.

There is no flicker with LCD monitors as they do not work the same as a CRT..

Mine has 2 settings, 60/72hz, most articles seem to say set it at 60hz..

Also do you see flicker when you go to the Movies, ? as they run at 35hz..

wogers nemesis

On Tue, 09 May 2006 19:18:27 +1200, SchoolTech wrote:

> I thought it wasn't necessary to bother with this setting on LCDs as the
> flicker is nothing like on a CRT screen. Now it seems you do have to set
> it as at 60Hz the flicker can still be quite noticeable.

Are you using DVI or not?

Some LCD makers recommend 75 Hz. I usually switch between 60 Hz or 75 Hz
and one will usually be blurry.

Kent Smith

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Also do you see flicker when you go to the Movies, ? as they run at 35hz..

It's a different technology, different viewing conditions, etc. Actually,
most are 24fps, but the bulb stays on and the shutter rate will be 48 or 72
Hz to give the effect of reduced flicker.

-KENT

Bruce Hoult

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,

> Also do you see flicker when you go to the Movies, ? as they run at 35hz..

Yes. *huge* amounts. It's quite horrible any time a movie camera zooms
or pans. Especially if you're sitting near the front. It's only 24
frames per second.

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

~misfit~

Kent Smith wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Also do you see flicker when you go to the Movies, ? as they run at
>> 35hz..

> It's a different technology... <snip>

As are LCDs compared to CRTs. I think that was the point of the comment.
--
Shaun.

Jasen Betts

On 2006-05-09, Dave Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> SchoolTech <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:44604243$1
> @clear.net.nz:
>
>> I thought it wasn't necessary to bother with this setting on LCDs as the
>> flicker is nothing like on a CRT screen. Now it seems you do have to set
>> it as at 60Hz the flicker can still be quite noticeable.
>>

> If you RTFM for the LCD, you will find they like to have some specific
> input refresh AND resolution. My Viewsonic VA905 likes 1280x1024@60 or
> 75hz.
> I have heard people complain about blurry etc on LCD. They probably got
> one that is too big for their preferred font size, or don't have the
> resolution optimized. The most flexible display for that type of user is a
> big, high quality CRT.

yeah, if you can get the pixel and sync rates to match what the LCD wants
you get nice sharp text with well-defined pixels

else you get blurry images or moire patterns where the video card and lcd's
pixels edges don't line up.

apparently this is only an issue when using VGA connectors not with HDMI (or
whatever it's called).

Bye.
Jasen