Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Rock Bands Sue Sony Music

Rock Bands Sue Sony Music

Philip

Bette Noir wrote:
> On , , Tue, 09 May 2006 13:18:46 +1000, Re: Rock Bands Sue Sony
> Music, Je▀us <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 09 May 2006 14:30:30 +1200, Bette Noir proclaimed:

>>> produce the CD's, covers, international promotion and freight? >>
>>> Shouldn't cost them much more than a few million. >> Record labels get a
>>> very bad press, they do take a risk in >> investing money into bands and
>>> recordings, for every sucessfull >> group there are probably another 4
>>> that don't make their money >> back. They have to recoup their money
>>> somehow. >>
>>> writer >must pay back.
>>>
>>> I have no knowledge of the book publishing industry. I was talking about
>>> the record industry.
>>> It is a gamble on the part of the music publishers which is what I was
>>> saying.

>> The same argument can be made for a wide range of enterprises... from drug
>> dealing to playing the money market. Either way, it is an argument that is
>> not the slightest bit relevant to the discussion. Millions of
>> people/companies take the same risks, and yet they seem able to
>> resist abusing/exploiting their position in the same way that the major
>> labels do.

> Well as I said a few posts ago let the band members have a whip
> around for the few million or so and do their own production,
> advertising and distribution. It should be a doddle if there is
> so much profit to be made.
>
> ---

There is, and more and more performers are doing just that and selling
their work on the Internet.

The breakdown on CD revenues is set out here:
http://www.cnn.com/interactive/enter...t.exclude.html.

CD sales are falling all over the world because the present business
model of creating physical product and shipping it around to sales
locations is out of date and flawed. Curiously, in many cases buying the
whole album on i-Tunes would cost more than buying it in the music store
at $US0.99 a track - but there is also the question about the future of
the album as a concept.

People are asking why they have to pay for ten tracks they don't care
for to hear the three or four (or sometimes only one) that they do.

Philip

Je▀us

On Thu, 11 May 2006 11:01:29 +1200, Bette Noir proclaimed:

> On , , Tue, 09 May 2006 13:18:46 +1000, Re: Rock Bands Sue Sony Music,
> Je├čus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 09 May 2006 14:30:30 +1200, Bette Noir proclaimed: >

> Music, -=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote: >> >>>*SNIP*
>>> produce the CD's, covers, international promotion and freight? >> >>

> Shouldn't cost them much more than a few million. >> Record labels get a
>>> very bad press, they do take a risk in >> investing money into bands

> and >> recordings, for every sucessfull >> group there are probably
> another 4 >> that don't make their money >> back. They have to recoup
> their money >> somehow. >>

> reasonably >>>they subtract advances from sales, but they are the ones who
> wear all the >>>costs of publication instead of putting them on an account
> that the >> writer >must pay back.
>>>
>>> I have no knowledge of the book publishing industry. I was talking

> about >> the record industry.
>>> It is a gamble on the part of the music publishers which is what I was
>>> saying.

>>The same argument can be made for a wide range of enterprises... from

> drug >dealing to playing the money market. Either way, it is an argument
> that is >not the slightest bit relevant to the discussion. Millions of
>>people/companies take the same risks, and yet they seem able to >resist

> abusing/exploiting their position in the same way that the major >labels
> do.
>
> Well as I said a few posts ago let the band members have a whip around for
> the few million or so and do their own production, advertising and
> distribution. It should be a doddle if there is so much profit to be made.

You make it sound sooooo simple.

--
/J/
Cut the crap to email me...