Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Wanted: Source for wire fan grilles.

Wanted: Source for wire fan grilles.

~misfit~

You know the type? Wire chromed grilles. I had a few that I scavenged from
old PSUs etc. but have run out. I've just got a cheap hole-saw set with my
birthday money (that should be ok for thin mild-steel sheetmetal) and want
to add a couple fans to cases and cut out perforated grilles and replace
them with less restrictive wire grilles. However, I've been unable to locate
a source and my fans/parts drawer only contains 60mm and 40mm ones now.

Any pointers greatly appreciated.
--
Shaun.

EMB

~misfit~ wrote:
> You know the type? Wire chromed grilles. I had a few that I scavenged from
> old PSUs etc. but have run out. I've just got a cheap hole-saw set with my
> birthday money (that should be ok for thin mild-steel sheetmetal) and want
> to add a couple fans to cases and cut out perforated grilles and replace
> them with less restrictive wire grilles. However, I've been unable to locate
> a source and my fans/parts drawer only contains 60mm and 40mm ones now.
>
> Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Jaycar have a selection available.

--
EMB

~misfit~

EMB wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> You know the type? Wire chromed grilles. I had a few that I
>> scavenged from old PSUs etc. but have run out. I've just got a cheap
>> hole-saw set with my birthday money (that should be ok for thin
>> mild-steel sheetmetal) and want to add a couple fans to cases and
>> cut out perforated grilles and replace them with less restrictive
>> wire grilles. However, I've been unable to locate a source and my
>> fans/parts drawer only contains 60mm and 40mm ones now. Any pointers
>> greatly appreciated.

> Jaycar have a selection available.

Thanks. I've just had a quick look and found them, just what I need. Now to
work out how to get a few without having to spend $30 on petrol for $15/20
worth of fan guards.

Much appreciated.
--
Shaun.

EMB

~misfit~ wrote:
> EMB wrote:
>
>>~misfit~ wrote:
>>
>>>You know the type? Wire chromed grilles. I had a few that I
>>>scavenged from old PSUs etc. but have run out. I've just got a cheap
>>>hole-saw set with my birthday money (that should be ok for thin
>>>mild-steel sheetmetal) and want to add a couple fans to cases and
>>>cut out perforated grilles and replace them with less restrictive
>>>wire grilles. However, I've been unable to locate a source and my
>>>fans/parts drawer only contains 60mm and 40mm ones now. Any pointers
>>>greatly appreciated.

>>Jaycar have a selection available.

> Thanks. I've just had a quick look and found them, just what I need. Now to
> work out how to get a few without having to spend $30 on petrol for $15/20
> worth of fan guards.
>
> Much appreciated.

If you're heading in that way let me know and pick up the batts I have
waiting for you.

--
EMB

Don Hills

In article <445c814c$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks. I've just had a quick look and found them, just what I need. Now to
>work out how to get a few without having to spend $30 on petrol for $15/20
>worth of fan guards.

You could buy them online, if you have a credit card. If not, use their
freephone ordering number to find out if you can post them a cheque, order
to be dispatched when the cheque clears.

preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

~misfit~

EMB wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> EMB wrote:

>>> Jaycar have a selection available.

>> Thanks. I've just had a quick look and found them, just what I need.
>> Now to work out how to get a few without having to spend $30 on
>> petrol for $15/20 worth of fan guards.
>>
>> Much appreciated.

> If you're heading in that way let me know and pick up the batts I have
> waiting for you.

Indeed I will. I haven't been up to Auckland since we discussed it many
months back. I get out even less now with the price of gas. However, I have
a few bucks left from my birthday money, I might make it soon. When are you
home? You're a mechanic aren't you? I could use some advice of an automotive
nature too. (If it's not too much to ask).

(misfitnz hat gmale dot com).

BTW, that hole-saw set is going back. The damn things are oval, one has the
teeth worn off already after one (very messy) hole. They make a hell of a
mess of the case and leave very sharp bits all over the place. Mitre 10 seem
to have a customer guarantee on the back of their till reciepts. The guy
knew what I wanted it for and said it should be fine so it's not as if I'm
using it for purposes it wasn't intended for. Might have to get a Blumol
mandrel and just the one size holesaw for now. (If they give me a refund)
Blumol sets are $200, this one was $25. So a set is out of the question.
Luckilly they sell individual components. I just won't get a convenient case
to keep them in buying that way.

Shame though, I have an ugly hole in the side of one of my cases, had to
finish it off with sidecutters (Don't have tin-snips or a nibbler). I'm not
*that* worried about cosmetics. However, this hole/fan makes me look
incompetant.

Cheers,

Shaun.

PMB

~misfit~ wrote:
> EMB wrote:
>
>>~misfit~ wrote:

>>>Thanks. I've just had a quick look and found them, just what I need.
>>>Now to work out how to get a few without having to spend $30 on
>>>petrol for $15/20 worth of fan guards.
>>>
>>>Much appreciated.

>>If you're heading in that way let me know and pick up the batts I have
>>waiting for you.

> Indeed I will. I haven't been up to Auckland since we discussed it many
> months back. I get out even less now with the price of gas. However, I have
> a few bucks left from my birthday money, I might make it soon. When are you
> home? You're a mechanic aren't you? I could use some advice of an automotive
> nature too. (If it's not too much to ask).
>
> (misfitnz hat gmale dot com).
>
> BTW, that hole-saw set is going back. The damn things are oval, one has the
> teeth worn off already after one (very messy) hole. They make a hell of a
> mess of the case and leave very sharp bits all over the place. Mitre 10 seem
> to have a customer guarantee on the back of their till reciepts. The guy
> knew what I wanted it for and said it should be fine so it's not as if I'm
> using it for purposes it wasn't intended for. Might have to get a Blumol
> mandrel and just the one size holesaw for now. (If they give me a refund)
> Blumol sets are $200, this one was $25. So a set is out of the question.
> Luckilly they sell individual components. I just won't get a convenient case
> to keep them in buying that way.
>
> Shame though, I have an ugly hole in the side of one of my cases, had to
> finish it off with sidecutters (Don't have tin-snips or a nibbler). I'm not
> *that* worried about cosmetics. However, this hole/fan makes me look
> incompetant.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Shaun.

Hello

If you drill the 4 fan mounting holes first and use them to screw a
piece of wood to the inside. Cut through the metal into the wood. The
wood will help guide the hole-saw and support the metal and you should
get a cleaner hole.

Paul

~misfit~

PMB wrote:
> If you drill the 4 fan mounting holes first and use them to screw a
> piece of wood to the inside. Cut through the metal into the wood. The
> wood will help guide the hole-saw and support the metal and you should
> get a cleaner hole.

Thanks for the tip Paul. I was drilling against a piece of wood but hadn't
screwed them together.
--
Shaun.

Jasen Betts

On 2006-05-06, ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> You know the type? Wire chromed grilles. I had a few that I scavenged from
> old PSUs etc. but have run out. I've just got a cheap hole-saw set with my
> birthday money (that should be ok for thin mild-steel sheetmetal) and want
> to add a couple fans to cases and cut out perforated grilles and replace
> them with less restrictive wire grilles. However, I've been unable to locate
> a source and my fans/parts drawer only contains 60mm and 40mm ones now.

even with a quality one-piece hole saw (arbour welded to the blade) I was
getting razor sharp edges, (if i'd used a drill press that may not have
happened)

offset (avation style) tin snips or a chassis punch give a much neater finish,

And the snips are cheaper than the (good) hole saw and cleaner in use
(no need for oil to cool the blade) make sure you get offset snips though.

> Any pointers greatly appreciated.

for grills: jaycar have them wire in 80,120, and 150mm in wire
60 80 and 120 in plastic.

Bye.
Jasen

Jasen Betts

On 2006-05-06, ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Jaycar have a selection available.

> Thanks. I've just had a quick look and found them, just what I need. Now to
> work out how to get a few without having to spend $30 on petrol for $15/20
> worth of fan guards.

they do mail order.

Bye.
Jasen